TSN's Top 50 coaches - Marv Levy on Panel!

Linky

SPORTING NEWS’ TOP 50 COACHES

1. John Wooden, college basketball

2. Vince Lombardi, NFL

3. Bear Bryant, college football

4. Phil Jackson, NBA

5. Don Shula, NFL

6. Red Auerbach, NBA

7. Scotty Bowman, NHL

8. Dean Smith, college basketball

9. Casey Stengel, MLB

10. Knute Rockne, college football

11. Pat Summitt, women’s college basketball

12. Paul Brown, NFL

13. Joe Paterno, college football

14. George Halas, NFL

15. Chuck Noll, NFL

16. Bob Knight, college basketball

17. Joe Gibbs, NFL

18. Tom Landry, NFL

19. Mike Krzyzewski, college basketball

20. Bill Belichick, NFL

21. Adolph Rupp, college basketball

22. Joe McCarthy, MLB

23. Eddie Robinson, college football

24. Bobby Bowden, college football

25. John McGraw, MLB

26. Bill Walsh, NFL

27. Woody Hayes, college football

28. Connie Mack, MLB

29. Bud Wilkinson, college football

30. Pat Riley, NBA

31. Pete Newell, college basketball

32. Joe Torre, MLB

33. Bill Parcells, NFL

34. Tom Osborne, college football

35. Walter Alston, MLB

36. Bo Schembechler, college football

37. Toe Blake, NHL

38. Sparky Anderson, MLB

39. Al Arbour, NHL

40. Amos Alonzo Stagg, college football

41. Tony La Russa, MLB

42. Geno Auriemma, women’s college basketball

43. Dick Irvin, NHL

44. Ara Parseghian, college football

45. Chuck Daly, NBA

46. Bobby Cox, MLB

47. Hank Iba, college basketball

48. Tommy Lasorda, MLB

49. Gregg Popovich, NBA

50. Herb Brooks, NHL

IMO, Phil Jackson should be #1. Chuck Noll should be higher than 15th. Lombardi should be lower than #2

I would move Dean Smith and Joe Paterno closer to the top...but that's just me.

If Bill Walsh saw that he was rated at #26, I think he would freak out. There was no bigger fan of Bill Walsh than Bill Walsh.

Tony La Russa and Tommy Lasorda in the top 50? Seriously?

If Bill Walsh saw that he was rated at #26, I think he would freak out. There was no bigger fan of Bill Walsh than Bill Walsh.

As an alabama alum the "bear" is right where he should be on that list. Maybe him and vince should be 2A and 2B

Shula in the 60's and 70's was an innovative coach, although he benefited from favorable officiating like no other coach in NFL history, even Belicheat*. Being the only coach on the rules committee all those years was very intimidating to the officials. Shula was an average coach in the early 80's and a lousy coach in the late 80's and beyond. Marv Levy routinely out coached Shula during Levy's era in Buffalo and had a nice plus record against Shula.

Shula is WAY too high at number 5. Walsh was much more of a shrewd coach and several others were as well.

How can you argue against Tony La Russa? He is one of two managers to win a World Series in both leagues and he is third all time in victories in MLB history, 1st among active managers.

Shula in the 60's and 70's was an innovative coach, although he benefited from favorable officiating like no other coach in NFL history, even Belicheat*. Being the only coach on the rules committee all those years was very intimidating to the officials. Shula was an average coach in the early 80's and a lousy coach in the late 80's and beyond. Marv Levy routinely out coached Shula during Levy's era in Buffalo and had a nice plus record against Shula.

Shula is WAY too high at number 5. Walsh was much more of a shrewd coach and several others were as well.

Landry came up with the flex-defense, Walsh the West Coast offense. I can't remember anything being attributed to Shula.

BTW, sort of on topic. Do the players make the coach or does the coach make the players? I would say a little of both but I'd give the coaches 75% of that. A guy can have all the talent in the world and if he isn't used right it will hold him back. The best example I can think of off the top of my noggin is Priest Holmes.

Also, a great coach can bring out the talent in a player and teach him to maximize that talent. I'd use Jason Peters as an example of that as well as Priest Holmes. JMO

Landry came up with the flex-defense, Walsh the West Coast offense. I can't remember anything being attributed to Shula.

Hmmm.....one guy modeled his coaching career after Paul Brown (Landry), one played for him (Shula), and the other coached under and was greatly influenced by him (Walsh).

Maybe that Brown guy was pretty good after all.

Gibbs is too high, Belichick too low, Walsh too low, Landry too low, Shula too high, Hayes too low, there shouldn't be any baseball coaches in the top 20-30, also I think Dick Vermiel should be somewhere on the list, somewhere low on the list but on it to be sure, the guy won big in college and the pros both with programs that had previously little or no success ie. ucla bruins, the eagles, the rams, and to a much lesser extent the chiefs. Just checked wiki and interestingly enough he has the distinction of being named coach of the year at every level of coaching, highschool, junior college, ncaa d1, and the pros

Shula is way too high (and that isn't just Bills bias).

Who lost SB III?

Who couldn't win with Marino as QB?

Who was more innovative in terms of changing the game Shula? Walsh? Brown?

Careful now! Coaches have lost SBs with better teams than Marino's.

Walsh should be ahead of Shula (who shouldn't be in the top 15) and Joe Gibbs. Coach K should be ahead of Knight---and Pat Summit?? That's an absolute joke!

Knute Rockne in the top 10?

"Clueless Joe" Torre ahead of Parcells?