Might be moving to Florida...suggestions please

udonkey

Today I interviewed for an internal promotion that would have me moving from Cinci to the state of Florida in the next 4-6 weeks.

It would be an outside sales/account management position in which I'd be on the road 4 days a week, so I can pretty much live wherever I want, with Central Florida being ideal.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm 27 (28 in Oct) and single. I'll be doing pretty well for myself, but have plenty of debt, thanks to student loans, so I wouldn't mind finding a place with manageable cost of living so that I can work on some debt and try to save.

I've got an ex girlfriend, who has remained a good friend, in Jacksonville, so it'd be nice to be close enough to hang out on the weekends and what not, but I'm thinking that I'd rather be further south so as not to invade her territory, as she's lived down there for a couple years now.

After some basic research, I think that I'd like the Daytona Beach area. I'm a NASCAR fan and have been to the Daytona 500 before, and like the idea of it being a destination town with stuff going on all the time. Plus, the cost of living comparisons show it being ~5% higher than Cincinnati, which is more than taken care of by the raise that I'd be getting.

I'm going to get 2-3 weeks in corporate housing to find a place, so I'll definitely be able to check out plenty of apartment complexes, but would like to have a few areas narrowed down by then.

This is obviously contingent on actually getting offered the position, but I know that it is between myself and another individual, and I am better qualified.

Any advice would be appreciated.

50%+ more pay and no state income taxes makes me want to take the promotion...very much

:flirt:

But there are huge bugs in Florida... While 50% is nice, the bugs would make me reconsider!

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/9499/spidley002id4.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/Ill...edhillinBra.jpg

Sorry I have no good advice -- other than if you moved near Miami, you could go see the Bills squish the fish every year....? :P

I'd check out the Tampa/St Pete area. I'm generally very against living in FL, but that area is the one area I would consider (I have never been to Miami, so I can't say one way or the other about it.

I'm actually working on getting a new job now (wouldn't be moving until March), and because of the job there, I am considering St Pete. Not sure where it is on my list exactly, but I'd say there's a decent chance I end up there.

Tampa/St Pete: Younger crowds (St Pete used to be very old, but from what I understand it has changed a lot over the past 10-15 years). Away from the touristy areas of Daytona Beach and Orlando, but still close enough for a day trip. There's lots to do (festivals, outdoors stuff, anything on the water) and if your into the bar/club scene, both Tampa and St Pete are good for it (I"m really not, so I can't elaborate....that's just what everyone does/says in that area). Sports! Ya got Bucs and Bulls for football, Lightning hockey, and Rays Baseball. Miami isn't exactly close, but it's close enough to take the trip if you want to see the Bills play. Orlando Magic only an hour away. Friggin sports heaven! I only lived in Tampa for 6 months, but my sister lived there for about 3 years, so I visited the area often. St Pete I only know about through word of mouth.

I lived between Daytona and Orlando for years and still have family in the area, can't say enough bad about it. So overcrowded, too many tourists, and the city/residents ruin the only good things about the place (spring break, bike week, race week, etc...). They B word about all the commotion during those times, so laws are passed restricting things, then there's no money coming into the area! Orlando is packed, focused around Disney and Universal (which is fun for about 10 mintues), and seems to be just going downhill to me.

I've known people who like JAX, but I've always thought it was a hole. Never had a good experience there. I lived in Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral area for a couple years, and it's okay. Somewhat touristy, but more relaxing. Just gets very boring over there. I always like going to that area for a day or even a weekend, but wouldn't want to live there again.

The pan-handle has some decent areas, but it's very "southern". More like living in Alabama or Georgia than FL. So if that's your thing it might be worth looking into.

Of course you know about the heat, but it should be a serious thought. Getting closer to the coasts helps a little. Property taxes are really high and climbing fast, as are insurance rates. Due to hurricanes and flooding, insurance can make an otherwise perfect situation unaffordable (depends on the area).

Just some quick thoughts. I haven't lived in FL for about 11 years, but still visit at least once a year. So I may be dated on some places.

Faustus: Thanks for the thorough response.

I too, have heard a lot of good things about Tampa/St Pete...the only downside is that my inside guy is already in Tampa, so I think that they're wanting me to be a bit more spread out. I do like the idea of pro sports near by - I've grown quite fond of having the Reds & Bengals oa few miles away, not to mention that I'm a UC football season ticket holder (and they play USF in Tampa every other year).

I'll look into the cost of living scenario - thats really one of my biggest concerns.

I'm not looking to buy a house - don't really have any major plans to grow up in the next few years, and if/when I buy, I'll hopefully head back towards Ohio, unless I absolutely love living in FL.

Today I interviewed for an internal promotion that would have me moving from Cinci to the state of Florida in the next 4-6 weeks.

It would be an outside sales/account management position in which I'd be on the road 4 days a week, so I can pretty much live wherever I want, with Central Florida being ideal.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm 27 (28 in Oct) and single. I'll be doing pretty well for myself, but have plenty of debt, thanks to student loans, so I wouldn't mind finding a place with manageable cost of living so that I can work on some debt and try to save.

I've got an ex girlfriend, who has remained a good friend, in Jacksonville, so it'd be nice to be close enough to hang out on the weekends and what not, but I'm thinking that I'd rather be further south so as not to invade her territory, as she's lived down there for a couple years now.

After some basic research, I think that I'd like the Daytona Beach area. I'm a NASCAR fan and have been to the Daytona 500 before, and like the idea of it being a destination town with stuff going on all the time. Plus, the cost of living comparisons show it being ~5% higher than Cincinnati, which is more than taken care of by the raise that I'd be getting.

I'm going to get 2-3 weeks in corporate housing to find a place, so I'll definitely be able to check out plenty of apartment complexes, but would like to have a few areas narrowed down by then.

This is obviously contingent on actually getting offered the position, but I know that it is between myself and another individual, and I am better qualified.

Any advice would be appreciated.

orlando is a very cool town ...not tooo big..lottsa nice girls and not such a bizarre place like miami. affordable too.many great suburbs--and the part of the city surrounding downtown is desirable...nice big lake--lottsa chicks in skimpy wear running and biking. did i mention the chicks??

What do you do and what areas of Florida do you need to cover?

Orlando is smack in the middle and is the hub to all highways so that makes sense. You get hurricane protection as well there.

Miami is hectic, but between Lauderdale and West Palm is more sedate. There are so many condos in trouble there that you can rent a really nice place for a reduced rate. What do you like to do? There are plenty of entertainment districts with housing built in throughout south FL. You want water/beach, night life, quiet, sports?

If I was to pick a place it would be Orlando. Sister lives in Jax and BIL has a second home in Orlando. I have visited both many times. Jax does little for me. Orlando is centrally located, great airport, major league team in the area, and seems to still be growing.

I lived in South FL for 9 years and saw most of the state in that time. Between Daytona, Orlando & Tampa - If I were 27, single and a sports fan, I'd go with Tampa. Ybor City is very cool and you have greater access to pro teams. Orlando would work too, but I like being near the water. Just my $0.02

Since you'll be on the road quite a bit, you'll see lots of the state. You can always move, right?

50%+ more pay and no state income taxes makes me want to take the promotion...very much

:doh:

Indeed.

I've not an ounce of fact to back it up, but I've heard here and there that the rental vacation condo biz is hurting. Perhaps you could find some cheap housing from somebody - under the idea that to the renter, 10 cents on the dollar is better than nothing. I don't know if you have a moving stipend - if the company would store your goods while you investigate an area to settle - that might be a way to go.

Just thinking out loud...

You might want to send a PM to erynthered.

Having lived in southeast Florida since the early 1960's, here's my suggestions for that area.....

Ixnay on Miami (all of Dade County): Horrifically Brutal traffic congestion. I mean HOURS to drive 10 miles during rush hour traffic. Sky high rent and house/condo prices and I hope you speak Spanish. Oh.....and you'll be inundated with Dolphins crap until you hurl your duodenum on the kitchen floor and shove churrasco in your ears. Actually, the churrasco almost makes it worth it.

Fort Lauderdale (Broward County): A little better on the traffic and prices. Coral Springs and Parkland are nice but pricey. Just about any place in Broward County is a far better choice than anything in Dade County.

Palm Beach County: Better on the traffic. North Palm Beach County (Palm Beach Gardens) is nice and also a doable ride to Orlando (Mouse Town).

If you like fishing (I'm VP of a Bass Fishing Club) either fresh or salt water, you are definitely going to love Ef El Ay.

Come on down.....one year here and you may go visit other places, but you'll always come back home to Florida.

I lived between Daytona and Orlando for years and still have family in the area, can't say enough bad about it. So overcrowded, too many tourists, and the city/residents ruin the only good things about the place (spring break, bike week, race week, etc...). They B word about all the commotion during those times, so laws are passed restricting things, then there's no money coming into the area! Orlando is packed, focused around Disney and Universal (which is fun for about 10 mintues), and seems to be just going downhill to me.

I guess I haven't lived between Daytona and Orlando long enough to hate it yet. Only five years. Twenty minutes to the beaches, a short drive to theme parks people travel from all over to visit - yeah, it's a tough life. Don't know about the rest of the state, but there's nice towns in the Orlando metro area, and nice towns surrounding it. And bad areas too. Take your time to settle in, it's possible to find a place that you'll be happy (anywhere you go).

I guess I haven't lived between Daytona and Orlando long enough to hate it yet. Only five years. Twenty minutes to the beaches, a short drive to theme parks people travel from all over to visit - yeah, it's a tough life. Don't know about the rest of the state, but there's nice towns in the Orlando metro area, and nice towns surrounding it. And bad areas too. Take your time to settle in, it's possible to find a place that you'll be happy (anywhere you go).

Well then you have something to look forward to. :doh: