D. Bell

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reading on CBS that Bell could be as good as Peters. Any truth to this? Could he replace Walker at some point?

He didn't say "could be as good as" Peters. He said "could be the next" Jason Peters, which could mean be the next fairly unheralded guy to break into the starting lineup at LT.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11999071

And in his other story from camp, he didn't even mention seeing Bell. So it sounds like he's repeating something someone told him rather than something he saw.

Have you heard Bell's name a lot in practice reports the past few days? I haven't. Don't believe it till you see it. File it in the back of your brain under "Maybe."

He didn't say "could be as good as" Peters. He said "could be the next" Jason Peters, which could mean be the next fairly unheralded guy to break into the starting lineup at LT.

And in his other story from camp, he didn't even mention seeing Bell. So it sounds like he's repeating something someone told him rather than something he saw.

Have you heard Bell's name a lot in practice reports the past few days? I haven't. Don't believe it till you see it. File it in the back of your brain under "Maybe."

He did say the Bills were high on him so I'm guessing he heard that from a reliable source in the organization.

I've heard Bell's name, Thurm. They've said he's looked decent, but is still a little ways away from starting at LT. Recall that it took Peters 2-1/2 years to become the starting LT for the Bills.

I was reading on CBS that Bell could be as good as Peters. Any truth to this? Could he replace Walker at some point?

Bell is one of the guys I've been high on since last year, and am looking forward to seeing his progress this preseason.

As a raw rookie, I thought he looked outstanding in the preseason. I wasn't at camp, so I have no idea how he fared in those battles.

There were a couple of instances during the preseason last year where the opposing team (forget which one) left their starters in longer than the Bills, and the Bills 2nd tier offense was playing head to head with the other team's starting D.

I remember noticing how well Bell did in those 1 or 2 series against the starters. Like Peters, he's got the great footwork and athletisism that is so coveted for a big man playing tackle.

Assuming his game and technique progress, making the most of his raw talent, I wouldn't be shocked to see him take over on the left side and get Walker moved back over to his natural right side tackle position before the season is over.

With all the talk of rookies Woods and Levitre being question marks on the O-line, I'm more concerned about Butler and Walker's ability to man the outside consistently. One jailbreak by an opposing pass rush could be enough to put Edwards out for a prolonged period.

I'll be watching Bell and wishing him luck. He doesn't have Peter's agent - does he? :pirate:

I'll be watching Bell and wishing him luck. He doesn't have Peter's agent - does he? :pirate:

Doubtful. Parker wouldn't waste his time on a guy like Bell...at least not yet.

The better question is, does Bell have Peters' lack of intelligence and inflated ego?

I saw Bell a little in last years training camp and preseason and was impressed with his ability to mirror and move his feet- I had high hopes for him this year, in the weeks before they traded Peters I heard a huge amount of positive talk about Bell from 1 Bills drive then after the Peters trade nothing, so I have to wonder if the Bills were just blowing smoke or something- if anyone has seen Bell this training camp and has an assessment I'd love to see it.

I saw Bell a little in last years training camp and preseason and was impressed with his ability to mirror and move his feet- I had high hopes for him this year, in the weeks before they traded Peters I heard a huge amount of positive talk about Bell from 1 Bills drive then after the Peters trade nothing, so I have to wonder if the Bills were just blowing smoke or something- if anyone has seen Bell this training camp and has an assessment I'd love to see it.

In the wake of the Peters controversy, I surmised that the Bills' expectations for Bell may have been a major factor in the decision to cut Peters loose.

Doubtful. Parker wouldn't waste his time on a guy like Bell...at least not yet.

The better question is, does Bell have Peters' lack of intelligence and inflated ego?

Actually, an even better question is whether or not he has Peters' ability, right?

By the way, if leveraging yourself into an $11M+/year deal with a perennial NFC championship contender shows a lack of intelligence, then this board is laden with cro magnon men.

i'd tend to think that's the case, considering there isn't much to go off of in evaluating bell. he certainly looks the part physically, but he's such a huge question mark that i don't know how the organization could back up their supposed "highness" on bell.

that said, we'll probably get a better feel for his ability this pre-season when he comes in with the 2nd team offensive line. here's to hoping that some opponents are willing to play their starting DEs long enough to get him some snaps under live fire.

Actually, an even better question is whether or not he has Peters' ability, right?

By the way, if leveraging yourself into an $11M+/year deal with a perennial NFC championship contender shows a lack of intelligence, then this board is laden with cro magnon men.

Eugene Parker= smart

Russ Brandon=......

You don't need to be an athletic freak to succeed at LT. Look at Mike Gandy of the Cardinals, or even what's-his-name from the Steelers.

Lots of stupid people get paid a lot of money, for whatever reason. That's no indicator of intelligence. And that was mostly orchestrated by his agent. I was more talking about his Wonderlic score, which borders on mentally challenged, and his belief that he deserves a new contract every 2 years, and as soon as he asks for it.

You don't need to be an athletic freak to succeed at LT. Look at Mike Gandy of the Cardinals, or even what's-his-name from the Steelers.

Lots of stupid people get paid a lot of money, for whatever reason. That's no indicator of intelligence. And that was mostly orchestrated by his agent. I was more talking about his Wonderlic score, which borders on mentally challenged, and his belief that he deserves a new contract every 2 years, and as soon as he asks for it.

So let me get this straight...he's stupid for his wonderlic score, but smart enough to pick up an NFL offense? Sheesh, get a grip man. Also, he was apparently stupid enough that he doesn't think that a kid that's never taken a snap in the NFL should be getting paid (literally) 10x more than him. Oh wait, that was his agent's doing, so I guess he was stupid enough to hire a guy that would get him paid a king's ransom. We should all be so stupid.

Lastly, I never said Bell needed to be an "athletic freak", I have no idea where you got that from. I'm aware of who made the superbowl, but if you're going to tell me that you'd rather have either Mike Gandy or Max Starks (or Demetrius Bell) constitute an above-average NFL left tackle, then I'm afraid this discussion is over. My point was simply that I'd rather know if Bell has the ability to play LT than if he's smart or congenial.

........he's such a huge question mark that i don't know how the organization could back up their supposed "highness" on bell.

Maybe because the organizations has had a good long, up close look at Bell, not only in a handful of preseason games from last year, but in multiple practice sessions, one on one conversations, game planning participation, attention to diet and conditioning, coachability, learning curve progress, and after disecting hours of Demetrius Bell video from OTAs, minicamps, last year's training camp, and practices throughout the 2008 campaign. If they see nothing but positives and expectations being met, it should be easy to see why they might be "high" on him.

Most of us have only seen a fraction of what the Bills staff has in regard to the players skill level. I'm inclined to take their word for it. And BTW, when these writers put out glowing commentary about a particular player, often it comes via a recommendation by those in the Bills organization, who request anonymity, but are glad to have the players praised when it's deserved.

The coaches put each one of their players under a microscope, not just in camp or from Sept-December, but all year long during their preparation for the next season.

I have to assume that their view of Bell's potential must have been a positive, and figured into the Peters trade decision.

It is my gut feeling that there may be some in the organization that would like to give D. Bell a shot at that LT spot and didn't want to move L. Walker.....but were overrulled by others who felt we needed a veteran manning that spot.

That is why you see D. Bell as the backup to LT.....because if anything happens to Langston they know they can slide him in there.....

I actually think we are in better shape them people are predicting.

i'd tend to think that's the case, considering there isn't much to go off of in evaluating bell. he certainly looks the part physically, but he's such a huge question mark that i don't know how the organization could back up their supposed "highness" on bell.

that said, we'll probably get a better feel for his ability this pre-season when he comes in with the 2nd team offensive line. here's to hoping that some opponents are willing to play their starting DEs long enough to get him some snaps under live fire.

Highly doubtful, IMO. Look for the starting O line to play a lot during the pre-season games.

I haven't been at every practice, but from what I've seen I don't think he's ready. I saw him get completely abused by ellis for a "sack."

To me, ellis looks to have improved greatly. He looks really quick of the edge, and I think he got quite a bit bigger.

That would be awesome. If he can live up, even somewhat, to the abilities he was supposed to have for a third rounder that will greatly help the waves of DE's. Here's hoping! :pirate:

I haven't been at every practice, but from what I've seen I don't think he's ready. I saw him get completely abused by ellis for a "sack."

To me, ellis looks to have improved greatly. He looks really quick of the edge, and I think he got quite a bit bigger.

I have to agree. The 2 practices I can report on, he was really bad. Routinely burnt by Schobel during a 2 minute O (we are talkin like 4-5 sacks) And getting schooled by practice squad players in 1 on 1s. I was surprised as he looked so good last pre season. I wouldnt expect anything from him this season.

I have to agree. The 2 practices I can report on, he was really bad. Routinely burnt by Schobel during a 2 minute O (we are talkin like 4-5 sacks) And getting schooled by practice squad players in 1 on 1s. I was surprised as he looked so good last pre season. I wouldnt expect anything from him this season.

Does anyone remember watching Jason Peters in practice when he FIRST lined up as a LT? The man was a beast but was slow and got killed by the speed rush. After time he got better and we all know the rest of the story. you may be right, this season may not be his, bu t next season I loko for Bell to be HUGE for the bills. just a hunch