Bolton on Daily Show

Oh how unique. A liberal card carrying member of the media.

Thanks for the kind words about the Rochester area and its suburbs.

What's wrong, in Robert Johnson's words, are you "lonesome and lacks a quarter?"

Perhaps you could find a team to follow that practices/plays in a venue more suitable to your tastes - say, Las Vegas baby?

JP will no doubt welcome you with open, ah, er, hem.

Another post full of nothing.

Well done.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You cant even discern the difference between England and the US.

Do the words "Lone Superpower" mean anything to you?

Go away.

i'd like to go away, but you fail to explain how what "Lone Superpower" means in your world. the U.S. spread itself so thin in the Middle East theater that it relegated control of the Afghanistan conflict to the Canadians and Great Britain, who held their own but couldn't douse the fires that lit up once the U.S. essentially left.

now that the Americans are back, things are only a little better, and yet there are still good people falling on a daily basis.

and my reference toward England was due to the attacks and threats that have hit that country. American is not alone in this conflict, and to suggest that is the case is wrong.

jw

Oh how unique. A liberal card carrying member of the media.

Thanks for the kind words about the Rochester area and its suburbs.

What's wrong, in Robert Johnson's words, are you "lonesome and lacks a quarter?"

Perhaps you could find a team to follow that practices/plays in a venue more suitable to your tastes - say, Las Vegas baby?

JP will no doubt welcome you with open, ah, er, hem.

buddy, i follow the code of The Replacements, who once had a song titled, "Anywhere's Better than Here." more often than not, i find this to be true no matter where I am. but if you want to hole up in a hotel room that overlooks nothing but parking lots and office parks and you can hear the rush of the freeway on your balcony, that's great. go wild, buddy.

there's much to like about Rochester, but not on those nights.

jw

i'd like to go away, but you fail to explain how what "Lone Superpower" means in your world. the U.S. spread itself so thin in the Middle East theater that it relegated control of the Afghanistan conflict to the Canadians and Great Britain, who held their own but couldn't douse the fires that lit up once the U.S. essentially left.

now that the Americans are back, things are only a little better, and yet there are still good people falling on a daily basis.

and my reference toward England was due to the attacks and threats that have hit that country. American is not alone in this conflict, and to suggest that is the case is wrong.

jw

The things that make a superpower a superpower tend not to translate well to asymmetric conflicts like Afghanistan or the Iraq occupation. American power in particular relies heavily on technology and logistics, to the detriment of front-line combat units, whereas asymmetric conflicts require well-trained and well-led ground troops in numbers the US simply can't field. The fact is there's maybe two or three countries in the world that the US can't take completely apart with conventional weapons, never mind nukes, which is the capability that makes the US a superpower. It also doesn't mean sh-- in non-countries like Afghanistan, or places like Iraq where 80% of the population is simply in the way, and 80% of the remainder only passively hostile.

And things are FAR from better in Afghanistan. Won't be in our lifetimes. Afghanistan is a snake pit without a solution.

And things are FAR from better in Afghanistan. Won't be in our lifetimes. Afghanistan is a snake pit without a solution.

with all due respect DC Tom, this goes to the point i was attempting to make in regards to the current administration (and yes, i understand some of my blame should go back to the days of President Carter), which failed to realize that it just might have spread itself way too thin by opening another conflict without cleaning up the first one.

even Cheney cautioned against going all the way to Baghdad in Iraq I because it would prove to be a quagmire, and yet ... things could've been simpler. but then again, if only the U.S. had nukes then ...

jw

¶ well, i'm back at camp and stuck in the same stinkhole hotel in suburban rochester, this time with a view of some man-made plastic courtyard that's supposed to make it feel like i'm in peoria or des moines, boise or poughkeepsie. hell, this could even be winnipeg, because for all i know there's a mini-mall plaza up the street with a subway, burger king and a liquor store. ... oh, waitaminute, there is. and i'm sure Nanker will once again question why i'm disparaging suburban rochester and minimalls and office parks.

¶ so sorry once again for raining on pink applebee parades, freeway ramps and munro muffler shops, because i'm sure we all have a perfect vision of growing up somewhere, however crooked picket fenced that just might be.

¶ but that's not the point of trying to tie this thing together, because there's absolutely little glamor on the road no matter where you are. and as i wrote, i follow the code of anywhere being better than here, because this could be paris (you pick, texas, ontario, france), and i'd still be working and they'd very much seem the same. and that's what i think that people don't get when they wonder what the hell i'm writing about.

¶ and yet they seem to know exactly what type of sod-card-carrying-left-wingnut-liberal-media crackpot i just might be based on a thread-bare post written out of the joy of writing. good god, too many people take things far too literally, and yet there are a few that understand what it means to have jingle-jangle loose fingers that can fly on the keyboard and produce something as obtuse as a nepalm sunset.

¶ but no. everyone has the answer to everything, and i realize i'm guilty of that, too.

¶ but that's not the point here either.

¶ this day started bad and quickly got worse when i finally checked into this place and realized that my work was never close to being done: the nflpa elected to finally respond to goodell's announcement that the nfl had absolutely no plans of cutting the benefits or pensions of retired players.

¶ so a day in which i was sidetracked from whatever i was supposed to be working on -- and ken, i hope to call you soon, well not tonight of course -- became completely obliterated. and that was before i was forced to repack and move to another room because something in the room they gave me wasn't working.

¶ and here i am, "upgraded" to a 2-room suite, and i put quotations marks around upgraded because you'd figure an upgrade would actually put you in a different town like, say, dublin, with an open bar stacked with jameson. but i guess them's the rules, and there's only so much the folks here can do with the economy the way it is. hell, obama's so terrible that he's getting criticized for experiencing too much success with the cash for clunker's program. but there i go, again, watching far too much jon stewart. what are you gonna do?

but it's true that the hot-diggity-dogma dogs on fox do try a little too hard. and perhaps it is best that walter cronkite passed before things got too fair and balanced on cable.

¶ but what do i know, i'm just another half-drunk punter without an ounce of perspective or capability to draw upon my own life experiences to determine what i should know or think rather than being another drunkfart of humanity. and yet, i did grow up idolizing The (one and only) Replacements, so i guess i aspire to what inspires. and when it comes to the mats, there was no such thing as being too drunk. and HST never let me up. while chuck bukowski never put me straight. and graham greene always made me wonder.

¶ perhaps i shouldn't post this. and i know there's going to be someone out there ready to copy this exact graf with a response, "if only," or something like it. well, too late. this is what you get when i've got time on my hands, and a loose keyboard to finger.

¶ but really, the point of this is -- and i know you've been patiently waiting for this (well, one can dream) -- is to point out that sam mendes rocks. after all the baloney that's gone on to undo this day, i sat in front of this tv and watched "away we go," and found it fascinatingly real, surreal, naive, "robust" and dare i say it, perfect.

¶ and now that i've confused everyone with this thing that took me 14 minutes to write (and another 14 minutes to edit), it's time to post this with a certain uncrooked finger salute ... and a glass raised high.

¶ for a country supposedly full of rebels, there sure ain't many good ones left to follow.

¶ jw

with all due respect DC Tom, this goes to the point i was attempting to make in regards to the current administration (and yes, i understand some of my blame should go back to the days of President Carter), which failed to realize that it just might have spread itself way too thin by opening another conflict without cleaning up the first one.even Cheney cautioned against going all the way to Baghdad in Iraq I because it would prove to be a quagmire, and yet ... things could've been simpler. but then again, if only the U.S. had nukes then ...

jw

You must have a hell of a bar tab <_<

¶ well, i'm back at camp and stuck in the same stinkhole hotel in suburban rochester, this time with a view of some man-made plastic courtyard that's supposed to make it feel like i'm in peoria or des moines, boise or poughkeepsie. hell, this could even be winnipeg, because for all i know there's a mini-mall plaza up the street with a subway, burger king and a liquor store. ... oh, waitaminute, there is. and i'm sure Nanker will once again question why i'm disparaging suburban rochester and minimalls and office parks.

¶ so sorry once again for raining on pink applebee parades, freeway ramps and munro muffler shops, because i'm sure we all have a perfect vision of growing up somewhere, however crooked picket fenced that just might be.

¶ but that's not the point of trying to tie this thing together, because there's absolutely little glamor on the road no matter where you are. and as i wrote, i follow the code of anywhere being better than here, because this could be paris (you pick, texas, ontario, france), and i'd still be working and they'd very much seem the same. and that's what i think that people don't get when they wonder what the hell i'm writing about.

¶ and yet they seem to know exactly what type of sod-card-carrying-left-wingnut-liberal-media crackpot i just might be based on a thread-bare post written out of the joy of writing. good god, too many people take things far too literally, and yet there are a few that understand what it means to have jingle-jangle loose fingers that can fly on the keyboard and produce something as obtuse as a nepalm sunset.

¶ but no. everyone has the answer to everything, and i realize i'm guilty of that, too.

¶ but that's not the point here either.

¶ this day started bad and quickly got worse when i finally checked into this place and realized that my work was never close to being done: the nflpa elected to finally respond to goodell's announcement that the nfl had absolutely no plans of cutting the benefits or pensions of retired players.

¶ so a day in which i was sidetracked from whatever i was supposed to be working on -- and ken, i hope to call you soon, well not tonight of course -- became completely obliterated. and that was before i was forced to repack and move to another room because something in the room they gave me wasn't working.

¶ and here i am, "upgraded" to a 2-room suite, and i put quotations marks around upgraded because you'd figure an upgrade would actually put you in a different town like, say, dublin, with an open bar stacked with jameson. but i guess them's the rules, and there's only so much the folks here can do with the economy the way it is. hell, obama's so terrible that he's getting criticized for experiencing too much success with the cash for clunker's program. but there i go, again, watching far too much jon stewart. what are you gonna do?

but it's true that the hot-diggity-dogma dogs on fox do try a little too hard. and perhaps it is best that walter cronkite passed before things got too fair and balanced on cable.

¶ but what do i know, i'm just another half-drunk punter without an ounce of perspective or capability to draw upon my own life experiences to determine what i should know or think rather than being another drunkfart of humanity. and yet, i did grow up idolizing The (one and only) Replacements, so i guess i aspire to what inspires. and when it comes to the mats, there was no such thing as being too drunk. and HST never let me up. while chuck bukowski never put me straight. and graham greene always made me wonder.

¶ perhaps i shouldn't post this. and i know there's going to be someone out there ready to copy this exact graf with a response, "if only," or something like it. well, too late. this is what you get when i've got time on my hands, and a loose keyboard to finger.

¶ but really, the point of this is -- and i know you've been patiently waiting for this (well, one can dream) -- is to point out that sam mendes rocks. after all the baloney that's gone on to undo this day, i sat in front of this tv and watched "away we go," and found it fascinatingly real, surreal, naive, "robust" and dare i say it, perfect.

¶ and now that i've confused everyone with this thing that took me 14 minutes to write (and another 14 minutes to edit), it's time to post this with a certain uncrooked finger salute ... and a glass raised high.

¶ for a country supposedly full of rebels, there sure ain't many good ones left to follow.

¶ jw

This was immediatley starting out to be one of my favorite posts ever. You reverted back to the "anywhere is better than here" theme, and as a devout Harry Chapin fan, that smacks of quite possibly his best song ever, "(Anywhere's) A Better Place To Be." But that wasn't enough to make it my favorite post ever. Nor was it the fact that you went off topic about 18 times. Nor was it the fact that you admit that you're completely blotto again (though that helps dramatically). No, the thing that ultimately pushed this over the edge as my favorite post ever is that, as a published journalist whose words are followed by Bills fans everywhere, after 14 minutes of typing all of this without once starting a sentence with an uppercase letter, you fess up that you spent another 14 minutes editing this masterpiece, and there is STILL not an uppercase letter to be found at all.

Sheer genius, man. Every time I read your drunken posts from a crappy hotel in the middle of bum!@#$ nowhere, I thank my lucky stars I only spent three years as a journalist when, for every one of those days, anywhere truly was a better place to be.

I lift my beer to your genius.

This was immediatley starting out to be one of my favorite posts ever. You reverted back to the "anywhere is better than here" theme, and as a devout Harry Chapin fan, that smacks of quite possibly his best song ever, "(Anywhere's) A Better Place To Be." But that wasn't enough to make it my favorite post ever. Nor was it the fact that you went off topic about 18 times. Nor was it the fact that you admit that you're completely blotto again (though that helps dramatically). No, the thing that ultimately pushed this over the edge as my favorite post ever is that, as a published journalist whose words are followed by Bills fans everywhere, after 14 minutes of typing all of this without once starting a sentence with an uppercase letter, you fess up that you spent another 14 minutes editing this masterpiece, and there is STILL not an uppercase letter to be found at all.

Sheer genius, man. Every time I read your drunken posts from a crappy hotel in the middle of bum!@#$ nowhere, I thank my lucky stars I only spent three years as a journalist when, for every one of those days, anywhere truly was a better place to be.

I lift my beer to your genius.

didn't realize the Chapin connection. i'll have to listen to that. what i'm referencing is The Replacements, my favorite band. and i hate to rain on your parade, there were several upper case letters. The Replacements. HST. though, i feel terrible that i also didn't upper case Charles Bukowski and Graham Greene, authors i truly respect.

as for my reason to write in lower case, i write in upper case when i get paid. why waste the extra key stroke when i'm not (and that's no disrespect, because all of my letters have been written this way for as long as i can remember).

and who said, i was drunk this evening? <_<

jw

A blast, as always. Wish the fires up north would go out though so this %@$ smoke would go away and I could see.

i saw that b.c. is getting absolutely ravaged. is it that bad up, and as strange as this might sound, "north of the border?"

and, is this an indication of a dry summer (heaven forbid for too many bad reasons!), because i can't imagine this has anything to do with over-development as they have in southern cal., etc.

jw

didn't realize the Chapin connection. i'll have to listen to that. what i'm referencing is The Replacements, my favorite band. and i hate to rain on your parade, there were several upper case letters. The Replacements. HST. though, i feel terrible that i also didn't upper case Charles Bukowski and Graham Greene, authors i truly respect.

as for my reason to write in lower case, i write in upper case when i get paid. why waste the extra key stroke when i'm not (and that's no disrespect, because all of my letters have been written this way for as long as i can remember).

and who said, i was drunk this evening? <_<

jw

I figured when you mentioned you were "obliterated," that meant you were drinking. My bad. Though I know from experience that few things suck more than having to move to another room after you're already settled in.

Probably not the best way to first hear this song, but here you have it: A Better Place To Be. My favorite Chapin song, as he was always known as a storyteller, but this is the only song of his I know that tells a story in the story. A truly great song from a man who died way too young.

i saw that b.c. is getting absolutely ravaged. is it that bad up, and as strange as this might sound, "north of the border?"

and, is this an indication of a dry summer (heaven forbid for too many bad reasons!), because i can't imagine this has anything to do with over-development as they have in southern cal., etc.

jw

Exact opposite. There are no settlements where the fires are, so few resources are devoted to fight them. It has been a dry summer though. Take your pick smoke or rain <_<

Pure fukking genius, jw. I noticed a Dylan reference, a well deserved salute to Sam mendes, totally incoherent rambling, odes to HST, football, booze, bitching, whining, non sequitors, politics where it didn't belong, it was beautiful man. Brought a tear to my eye.

To piggyback on your riff ...

John, this stream-of-consciousness brilliance makes me wish you were writing Tom Robbins-esque novels instead of covering football practice. (Although I suppose that because this thread wouldn't exist without those practices, they do serve some useful purpose. And I also suppose it's merely a coincidence that Robbins, like The Good Doctor, once graced the pages of a sports section. Something in the water there, perhaps. :w00t:)

Keep those jingle-jangle fingers flying, my friend, and we'll see you this weekend.

for a country supposedly full of rebels, there sure ain't many good ones left to follow.

Rebellion for it's own sake is pointless.

As for the rest of your post...uh, what? :w00t:

(Haven't responded to your earlier post to me, btw, because I just haven't had time to do it justice.)

and who said, i was drunk this evening? :w00t:

jw

Bukowski wouldn't give a crap, but then again he might. Depends. He might scream at you and then hug and call you a goddamned saint.

Graham Greene would not only care, he would publicly damn you by making this incident a struggle for finding grace.