Bolton on Daily Show

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is it that I am explaining? Is it not the President's job as Commander-in-Chief to ensure America's military security? What do I care if Jakarta or Bombay or some other country's cities are being attacked? I'm an American, not a citizen of the world.

That's the problem with bleeding-hearts. They're always willing to subject America and American citizens to the vagaries of worldwide political opinion in the name of "humility." I don't think it's humility. I think it's treason.

so you're really in favor of Imperialism. when's the next Tea Party start, the one not sponsored by Fox?

jw

Bolton's statement was stupid.

Equally so is blaming every current problem on the Bush administration. Most of the foreign policy issues Obama has to deal with go back much further than that (1979, if not earlier). And Obama's foreign policies in no small part build on the policies of Bush's second term (particularly with respect to Iran and North Korea - a notable exception is Russia), which makes a blanket condemnation of Bush doubly disingenious.

Tom:

as promised, i got to this a little late,l but you're right, the Obama administation is picking up where the Bush administration left off but, really, what choice did it have? then again, the Russians learned their lessons in regards to Afganistan, and yet the Americans (under President Bush) had the naive belief that they could accomplish far more with far less. that's disingenuous, especially, when they made the all to predictable decision to switch gears and open the Iraq campaign.

and what truly bugs me is that they left the Canadian forces to hold the bag in Kabul, without backup or any reinforcements. too many good men and women died in Afghanastan because the country was never altogether secured.

but you're right in respect to the fact that this goes beyond the Bush administration. It goes back to George I, and Cheney who once spoke out against a full invasion of Iraq, because the consequences were far too dire and that it would draw the U.S. into another quagmire.

respectufully, and i mean that sincerely because i do respect your opinions and point of view, i might have a partisan point of view, but i'll say this. George I at the very least had the sense to draw together a true international coalition, as opposed to the son, who brought in poland and not much else.

jw

Would that include the Tritium isotope? Its actually quite valuable. But please go on. And suck as many forum liberals into this as you can. They seem to be biting. Unlike any Conservatives with Owens Mania.

i don't appreciate you "adding" Tritium isotope into my post. i never wrote that. you included it. and that's wrong.

jw

QUOTE (john wawrow @ Jul 29 2009, 08:52 PM)

as treaties go, they're more likely worth their weight in hydrogen. if you want to go down the treaty front, i don't think that's the road to take, consider how little respect for treaties this nation has had toward its own native Indians.

as for George the father, at least he gathered international resolve before going into Iraq, unlike the son, who badgered the UN and essentially got Malta to support him in his most recent excursion. and then there's Kyoto, but don't get me started on that, but then you're the onTritium e defending GWB ...

jw

I didn't "add" anything to your post. I notice you deleted it in the original and forgot the copy.

I didn't "add" anything to your post. I notice you deleted it in the original and forgot the copy.

Jim:

i don't know what the hell tritium isotope is to begin with. somehow, something from July 29, 8:52 p.m. (welll before I ever watched the Daily Show that evening for that matter) somehow got posted in as something that I wrote. I did not delete anything. This thread began well after then.

no offense, but i don't time travel and this entire thread began on July 29, 11:51 p.m., 20 minutes after I watched The Daily Show.

someone put Tritium into my post, and it wasn't me.

jw

'john wawrow' date='Jul 29 2009, 07:51 PM' [/b]post='1490488']

being somewhat drunk on canadian whisky, and stuck in some suburban rochester hellhole, i've elected to take one step into the dark side for kicks after watching former U.S. ambassador John Bolton on the Daily Show this evening.

he ended his segment by suggesting that the only nation in the world that should have nukelar (sic: he was a bush administration appointee as we know) weapons is the United States.

how outrageous. the USA, USA, USA! first crowd, i'm sure would eat this up. however, to provide yet another argument as to why the arrogance of this nation knows no bounds and pisses off most every other nation on this earth, except perhaps Poland, for some strange reason, here it is: john wayne coming riding over the hill to save the day.

that time is long over, and Bolton had his role in the foolishnes with his belligerence and bravado on the international stage. and here he is once again, riding six-gun in a time when humility should prevail.

if there was any more proof that the past administration was a big wet fart on history, here we go. and i'm tired of having to deal with and clean up this mess, which i fear might be irreversible. we're doomed and the yahoo clown cowboys want to keep riding into the napalm sunset. and the only person left clapping is the blind drunk hannity and his fool cohort o'reilly, i guess, who have the balls of snakes and the forked tongues to prove it.

and i'm on a HST rant, whose rapids can't be stopped.

well, i've said enough. another round, sir.

cazart.

jw

Jim:

i don't know what the hell tritium isotope is to begin with. somehow, something from July 29, 8:52 p.m. (welll before I ever watched the Daily Show that evening for that matter) somehow got posted in as something that I wrote. I did not delete anything. This thread began well after then.

no offense, but i don't time travel and this entire thread began on July 29, 11:51 p.m., 20 minutes after I watched The Daily Show.

someone put Tritium into my post, and it wasn't me.

jw

Huh? Thats Alaska time, but later is later.

Jim's correct about the times, John; when someone quotes a post, it shows the time zone they're in, not the one of the person being quoted.

That said ... here's the post in question, as quoted in Booster's reply seven minutes later:

as treaties go, they're more likely worth their weight in hydrogen. if you want to go down the treaty front, i don't think that's the road to take, consider how little respect for treaties this nation has had toward its own native Indians.

as for George the father, at least he gathered international resolve before going into Iraq, unlike the son, who badgered the UN and essentially got Malta to support him in his most recent excursion. and then there's Kyoto, but don't get me started on that, but then you're the one defending GWB ... :devil:

jw

Don't see any mention of tritium. That leaves a very small window for an edit, even less so for someone who was admittedly imbibing at the time and probably not overly inclined to proof his copy.

Carry on ...

That is precisely what I quoted. For me to substitute "e"for "in" [or for?] would be a real piece of work on my part to make it look authentic.

But your post was written more than an hour after Booster's, which perfectly matches the original minus Booster's added bolding. And since neither the word nor the placement make any sense -- looks like someone had "Tritium" copied to their clipboard, then randomly hit CTRL-V by mistake -- the only other possible explanation would be a glitch in the board software.

(And don't rule out that possibility.)

so you're really in favor of Imperialism. when's the next Tea Party start, the one not sponsored by Fox?

jw

WTF are you talking about? Really? I'm not advocating imperialism and colonialism, you sod. I don't want anything to do with the rest of the world. But if some pisspot nation like Iran decides to instigate something with us, I certainly advocate finishing them off, regardless of world opinion.

WTF are you talking about? Really? I'm not advocating imperialism and colonialism, you sod. I don't want anything to do with the rest of the world. But if some pisspot nation like Iran decides to instigate something with us, I certainly advocate finishing them off, regardless of world opinion.

Remember, he is a subject of the crown. Thowing out imperialism at the US :devil:

which was precisely the point of my original post, and why this nation has drawn skeptical and leery views from some corners. it goes toward the absolute corruption of power. and when bolton made his flippant comment about America should be the only country with nukes, it creates anxiety and worry about the swaggering mindset.

and once again you contradict yourself by saying, "you don't want anything to do with the rest of the world. But ..."

so which is it, you seem to want to have it both ways, which is what essentially sunk the British Empire, beginning with the American Revolution. (it's somewhat of a stretch, the point i'm making, but not altogether flawed, in my opinion.)

the trouble i find is that, for all it's power, America either still doesn't understand it's place on the world stage, or does understand it, but would rather not accept the responsibility that comes with it. either way, it opens the door to criticism which leads to a the U.S. taking a defensive "what'd we do?" stance and eventually leads to the decision to rename french fries to "freedom fries."

jw

Remember, he is a subject of the crown. Thowing out imperialism at the US :devil:

not correct, Jim. the Queen is merely a figurehead in Canada, but has no real authority over parliament or the prime minister.

still don't know what happened with the "Tritium." strange. but it wasn't me. oh well. it didn't make any sense.

jw

not correct, Jim. the Queen is merely a figurehead in Canada, but has no real authority over parliament or the prime minister.

still don't know what happened with the "Tritium." strange. but it wasn't me. oh well. it didn't make any sense.

jw

I will admit there was something odd about it.

I saw this

as treaties go, they're more likely worth their weight in hydrogen.
and since it was about nuclear weapons, I quoted it and threw in tritium in my response[the hydrogen in heavy water-its value by weight is incalculable].

Then,when I went back to look at your post I saw tritium in there,and was surprised I missed it.

O well one thing I know for sure is its 7:37 AM on a beautiful sunny day and time for me to go fly my plane in Alaska.

So I actually watched the interview.

Bolton is in favor of sanctions vis a vis Iran and favors the military option ONLY if its imminent that Iran gets nukes.

One of the main reasons he feels Iran should not have nukes is not the threat to the US, but to the Middle East.

WRT the quesiton of who should have nukes, it was a throwaway question to Bolton and he did say he only wanted the US to have nukes. He did not say why. Im ASSUMING its becuase he realizes this Country faces unique threats and would like it to maintain its strategic advantage.

Oh...what a horrible thing....he feels his Country should maintain its Strategic adnantage with something. Nah...no other Country in the world does that. :thumbdown:

This interview was FAR from some jingoistic call to see the US put the rest of the world under its thumb. Maybe Bolton wants the US to solely have nukes becuase he understands PRECISELY what the US place is on the World Stage. Could that be?

Regardless of his opinions, it is without question that the man knows more about world affairs than we all have forgotten. Hes not some neo-con idiot going off half-cocked wanting to bomb, bomb bomb Iran. He knows the situation COLD and put good forethought into formulating his opinion. But....his opinion differs from yours, JW, so in liberal-land that makes him an idiot. Typical "tolerance" of differing opinions.

Please dont post drunk again.

never called him an idiot. belligerent and brash, but not an idiot.

and as for the U.S. facing "unique" threats, once again, you overlook other nations, particularly England.

it's the sometimes navel-gazing mentality here that strikes me as odd and worrisome.

and so what i wrote my post half-drunk: what's been your excuse?

jw

minor sober edits for grammar and clarity.

I will admit there was something odd about it.

I saw this and since it was about nuclear weapons, I quoted it and threw in tritium in my response[the hydrogen in heavy water-its value by weight is incalculable].

Then,when I went back to look at your post I saw tritium in there,and was surprised I missed it.

O well one thing I know for sure is its 7:37 AM on a beautiful sunny day and time for me to go fly my plane in Alaska.

happy flying. i can only imagine how beautiful it is up there.

jw

Oh how unique. A liberal card carrying member of the media.

Thanks for the kind words about the Rochester area and its suburbs.

What's wrong, in Robert Johnson's words, are you "lonesome and lacks a quarter?"

Perhaps you could find a team to follow that practices/plays in a venue more suitable to your tastes - say, Las Vegas baby?

JP will no doubt welcome you with open, ah, er, hem.