Did the Chiefs take it in the shorts over Matt Cassel?

So the accursed Patriots tag Cassel. Now they have $30 million dollars in cap invested in two QBs, and zero left over.

Pioli goes from the Pats to GM at KC.

Next the Chiefs trade a decent draft pick (#34) to the Patriots for Cassel and the moss-covered Vrable. But yet, they don't have a contract agreement with Cassel.

Next the Chiefs give Cassel a $15 million contract with corresponding long term assets, which means that someone thinks Cassel is somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd best QB in the entire League.

Is someone lurking on the grassy knoll?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the accursed Patriots tag Cassel. Now they have $30 million dollars in cap invested in two QBs, and zero left over.

Next the Chiefs trade a decent draft pick (#34) to the Patriots for Cassel and the moss-covered Vrable. But yet, they don't have a contract agreement with Cassel.

Next the Chiefs give Cassel a $15 million contract with corresponding long term assets, which means that someone thinks Cassel is somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd best QB in the entire League.

Your point is well taken, but watch what Edwards costs if he has a good year. I don't think that many people (not to say you) grasp what qbs cost these days, and how few good ones are out there.

Your point is well taken, but watch what Edwards costs if he has a good year. I don't think that many people (not to say you) grasp what qbs cost these days, and how few good ones are out there.

You didn't read the memo, Bill...the no-huddle will vault TE and the Bills into the SB!

You didn't read the memo, Bill...the no-huddle will vault TE and the Bills into the SB!

It's a decent gamble I'd say. In the second half of the season last year he looked very good. Yeah, he had a good team around him, but he could deliver the goods. His passes were crisp and right on. I saw him engineer a comeback win here in Seattle. And that quick kick in the Wind Bowl was AWESOME.

I'd take him over Edwards AND Fitzpatrick in a heartbeat.

Of course if he bombs they'll look live fools, again.

Given.

However, I sort of think Cassel's decent showing with the remnants of the Patriots dynasty may not translate to a playoff appearance for the Chiefs in 2009 (or ever).

If the Bills win 8 games instead of the usual 7, think Edwards gets $15 million? For Edwards to get $15 million from the Bills or any other team, what would he have to do in 2009?

Maybe its me, but $15 million is serious money.

So what are you saying, Pioli is sabotaging his career out of some kind of personal loyalty to the Patriots*? I've seen other people post this kind of conspiracy theory but it doesn't make any sense.

I think Trent will have a good year if there is protection (a big if). He is very smart and has guys who can run and catch. If the interior OL can block, good things will happen. They absolutely must be able to run successfully to play well.

I suspect that you underestimate Edwards. :rolleyes:

So what are you saying, Pioli is sabotaging his career out of some kind of personal loyalty to the Patriots*? I've seen other people post this kind of conspiracy theory but it doesn't make any sense.

Like the thread title explicitly inquired: Did the Chiefs take it in the shorts over Matt Cassel?

Scioli was as far inside the Patriots as can be, regarding Matt Cassel. From the empirical evidence, Pioli sold the Chiefs on the notion that Cassel was worth the same money as the franchise tag (average of top 5 QB salaries in the entire League = $15 million).

Personally, that doesn't compute. Do you think Cassel is 2nd or third best QB in the league?

Ah you've figured out Kraft and Belichick's masterplan. They are going to rule the NFL by sending out poor coaches and front office staff across the league to destroy those teams from the inside out leaving only the Pats* as the one true team in the NFL. Brilliant!

To restate the question:

What other team would have pulled the trigger on the Cassel trade without having previously negotiated a long term contract?

Next, would this hypothetical other team have popped for a $15 million contract?

Ah you've figured out Kraft and Belichick's masterplan. They are going to rule the NFL by sending out poor coaches and front office staff across the league to destroy those teams from the inside out leaving only the Pats* as the one true team in the NFL. Brilliant!

What's brilliant is scrambling your entire O-line in one fell swoop without having the slightest idea of how the replacement players will work out.

Like the thread title explicitly inquired: Did the Chiefs take it in the shorts over Matt Cassel?

Scioli was as far inside the Patriots as can be, regarding Matt Cassel. From the empirical evidence, Pioli sold the Chiefs on the notion that Cassel was worth the same money as the franchise tag (average of top 5 QB salaries in the entire League = $15 million).

Personally, that doesn't compute. Do you think Cassel is 2nd or third best QB in the league?

Look, if you're saying that Pioli is mistaken about Cassel's value, then fine. I certainly think this has the potential to be another Scott Mitchell scenario.

But what I was asking in my initial response was, Do you think that Pioli is sabotaging his own career by setting the Chiefs up for failure? Because that's ridiculous, and about 5 seconds of thought ought to lead you to the same conclusion.

Your reply to me, by the way, did absolutely nothing to clarify which of these you believe.

What's brilliant is scrambling your entire O-line in one fell swoop without having the slightest idea of how the replacement players will work out.

Don't go hijacking your own thread. We have plenty of OL discussion elsewhere.

Personally, I think Pioli was too close to the situation to be objective when negotiating the contract. The contract should have come first, then the trade. Who exactly was Pioli bidding against?

Whatever troll. You ask a question, someone gives you and answer and all you can do is change the subject.

Care to stipulate how any of your comments were answers to questions? The question was: Did the Chiefs take it in the shorts over Matt Cassel?

Your reply was: "Ah you've figured out Kraft and Belichick's masterplan. They are going to rule the NFL by sending out poor coaches and front office staff across the league to destroy those teams from the inside out leaving only the Pats* as the one true team in the NFL. Brilliant!"

Looks like a plain old, ordinary weak slam to me. How is it an answer to my question?

Maybe you should seek a mommy.

I think Trent will have a good year if there is protection (a big if). He is very smart and has guys who can run and catch. If the interior OL can block, good things will happen. They absolutely must be able to run successfully to play well.

I suspect that you underestimate Edwards. ;)

I hope. But Trent had protection last year. Not great, but not too bad either. The whole Clowns debacle was not due to protection. It was due to Trent throwing 3 boneheaded picks in the first 4 possessions and then throwing to the RBs behind the line of scrimmage the rest of the game until the last series. That TD to ML he could have eaten banana back there before he finally (about a full second after all the fans I was around) saw him and threw it. He also had plenty of time to throw when he threw that pick six against the Jets. Last year Trent's problems were Trent, not protection.

I'd pay him 15 mil if he takes us to the playoffs this year and has a good year doing it. Like 20 TDs and 10 INTs and a 99.9 QB rating or something. Maybe a few more TDs running the ball himself.

Care to stipulate how any of your comments were answers to questions? The question was: Did the Chiefs take it in the shorts over Matt Cassel?

Your reply was: "Ah you've figured out Kraft and Belichick's masterplan. They are going to rule the NFL by sending out poor coaches and front office staff across the league to destroy those teams from the inside out leaving only the Pats* as the one true team in the NFL. Brilliant!"

Looks like a plain old, ordinary weak slam to me. How is it an answer to my question?

Maybe you should seek a mommy.

;)

Now, where did that ignore button go....?