Did the Chiefs take it in the shorts over Matt Cassel?

To restate the question:

What other team would have pulled the trigger on the Cassel trade without having previously negotiated a long term contract?

Next, would this hypothetical other team have popped for a $15 million contract?

Aren't there rules regarding talking to another teams players about contracts?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't there rules regarding talking to another teams players about contracts?

Cassel had earned the right to become an UFA, (just like Losman). If the Patriots hadn't franchise tagged him, he was on his own with no Patriot strings. Once they tagged him, then the Patriots could either keep him and pay him $15 ($14.65) million, or trade him to another team. They traded him to the Chiefs (together with Vrabel) for the #34 draft pick. Once he was traded, then it became the Chiefs problem to negotiate a contract with Cassel and his agent. The Patriots deliberately shopped him because they didn't want to take the cap hit and carry both Brady and Cassel to the tune of $30 million. I doubt that discussing the player's contract demands during trade negotiations could be construed as tampering, but I couldn't find any language specifically dealing with the situation.

It took months after the trade for the contract agreement. If there had been an impasse, then I guess Cassel could have threatened to hold out, and the Chiefs could have attempted to trade him. Cassel did absolutely great.

Care to stipulate how any of your comments were answers to questions? The question was: Did the Chiefs take it in the shorts over Matt Cassel?

You got a stupid answer for a stupid question, plain and simple.

Did the Chiefs take it in the shorts over Matt Cassel???

What the hell kind of question is that anyways? If you clarify your question, you might get a better answer.