OK....I am just a computer challenged person I guess

I have a wireless router and netgear

- I am trying to connect a laptop computer to the internet

- I have verizon DSL

- It computer says that it is connecting to my wireless router.....but wont connect to the internet

Since I could not figure this out i took it down to the neighborhood computer repair shop

- He was able to bring internet up on HIS wireless network (and internet) in like 3 minutes and didn't charge me

- I took it home and still it wont connect to the internet....it reads the same. Connects to my router but wont access the internet.

What am I doing wrong?

- I have verizon DSL

- It computer says that it is connecting to my wireless router.....but wont connect to the internet

Since I could not figure this out i took it down to the neighborhood computer repair shop

- He was able to bring internet up on HIS wireless network (and internet) in like 3 minutes and didn't charge me

- I took it home and still it wont connect to the internet....it reads the same. Connects to my router but wont access the internet.

What am I doing wrong?

I assume you have used your laptop with your dsl in the past. If so, try this:

If you have a separate router and modem, unplug them both (just pull the power cords out of the back of the units.). Wait 30 seconds. Plug in the modem first. Wait until the DSL light is a steady green.

Then plug in the router. Wait a minute or so. Then try to reconnect.

If this is your first time install, the router probably needs to be properly set up. Call the manufacturer and their support staff will walk you through it (if it is a Linksys there usually is no problem and no charge).

Now, if it is an all-in-one modem/router, unplug it. Wait 30 seconds and try again. If it doesn't work, call support of your DSL supplier and they should walk you through the fix. I can give you some other steps, but it could be one of several things, and it will be faster if you call them directly.

- I have verizon DSL

What am I doing wrong?

have you configured your router? Do other computers connected to the router have internet?

I assume you have used your laptop with your dsl in the past. If so, try this:

If you have a separate router and modem, unplug them both (just pull the power cords out of the back of the units.). Wait 30 seconds. Plug in the modem first. Wait until the DSL light is a steady green.

Then plug in the router. Wait a minute or so. Then try to reconnect.

John - I go through this very routine about once a week or so at my house - I am far from being technical but I think it has to do with IP address assignments getting out of synch and needing to "clear the modem" to correct the situation.

All of my other computers can access the internet......the router has been configured.

This particular laptop hasn't been used for a while....but previously it was also able to connect to the internet.

Is you laptop vista? what type of security are you using on the router. I have seen a few issues with Vista and WEP in the past.

ok.....I just got off the phone with the computer tech who was able to get it work at the shop but he was talking so fast and wanted to get off the phone I didn't understand he said:

Go to start, run

type in

http://192.168.1.1

anybody possibly know what he was talking about?

Seriously try the easy path Deanno suggested earlier only requires pulling a plug and waiting a minute or so

ok.....I just got off the phone with the computer tech who was able to get it work at the shop but he was talking so fast and wanted to get off the phone I didn't understand he said:

Go to start, run

type in

Yes, but it is too difficult to do this on a forum like this, IMO. Try what I posted earlier, and if it doesn't work, call support of DSL or Router manufacturer (as laid out in my original post). They will walk you through it step-by-step until it is fixed and should do it at no charge.

Go to start, run

type in

He's trying to get you to logon to the router.

I always have mixed feelings on these things when I actually resolve them because the realization of simple things I am doing wrong always hits me at the end.

My laptop I was having problems with would not access the routher id that the computer tech gave me......so I reset the router itself.

Then BAM.....all of a sudden my wireless network is no where to be found.....now my other laptop isn't working....and I am freaking out that somehow I just made things worse.

I kept going through the same steps now......plugging and unplugging wires, resetting my two laptops......resetting the router.....pulling my hair out.

Then it came to me that my stand along computer (which I never bothered to turn on) was where everything is actually wired into and where the dsl modem and netgear router are located. I turn the computer on and sure enough....the netgear wizard is up and waiting for me to run through it. 2 minutes later all of my computer equipment is connected and running and even have some problems fixed with slow download times and my xbox 360 going up and down.

Geesh.........

- I have verizon DSL

What am I doing wrong?

One thing I've noticed with my wireless is that there are so many wireless networks in my neighborhood that sometimes my laptop will take a while to recognize my router. Check the preferred order of wireless networks ... maybe your computer is trying to connect to a different router.

One thing I've noticed with my wireless is that there are so many wireless networks in my neighborhood that sometimes my laptop will take a while to recognize my router. Check the preferred order of wireless networks ... maybe your computer is trying to connect to a different router.

There is a preference you can set that auto defaults to your router.

I still have work to do....I have to go back in this weekend and redo the security for the wireless router (not secured at the moment) and get everything to recognize my wireless printer. Only one of my computers recognizes it at the moment.

OK....I got a new one for everybody........

This is my daughters computer and it has not been used for a while.....back when she was using it she was going onto different sites and apparently downloaded a boatload of malware, spyware, AND trojans.

I ran basically every free program I could think of to kill all the bad stuff (spybot, malware bytes, etc) and thought that I had the problem licked. Now keep in mind all this time while I was working on it the internet on it didn't work.

So the computer tech is able to get the internet to work on his equipment at the shop....shows that it is running for a couple of seconds...turns the computer back off.

The following day when I turn the computer back on bam.....the "active desktop" thing is back up on the screen and I run my spybot and malware and there is a ton of them all over again. I take this to mean that the stuff was always there still on the hard drive but was unable to call out for help to the internet as I was running my detection and kill programs.

At this point I am willing to BUY a good program to use on my computers since none of the free ones seem to totally do the job. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

OK....I got a new one for everybody........

This is my daughters computer and it has not been used for a while.....back when she was using it she was going onto different sites and apparently downloaded a boatload of malware, spyware, AND trojans.

I ran basically every free program I could think of to kill all the bad stuff (spybot, malware bytes, etc) and thought that I had the problem licked. Now keep in mind all this time while I was working on it the internet on it didn't work.

So the computer tech is able to get the internet to work on his equipment at the shop....shows that it is running for a couple of seconds...turns the computer back off.

The following day when I turn the computer back on bam.....the "active desktop" thing is back up on the screen and I run my spybot and malware and there is a ton of them all over again. I take this to mean that the stuff was always there still on the hard drive but was unable to call out for help to the internet as I was running my detection and kill programs.

At this point I am willing to BUY a good program to use on my computers since none of the free ones seem to totally do the job. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Yeah ... "Format c:" and start over ...