Maybin negotiations

Bills negotiations with Maybin

Evidently, apparently, allegedly, the Bills are not deeply involved in negotiations with Aaron Maybin.

Now, I'm sure part of this is Parker being his usual hard-a$$ self in trying to get the best deal for his client. And the Bills aren't going to throw a blank check to their newest DE.

Still, it's disconcerting that the two sides are so far apart on a deal.

EDIT: removed topic description

All the rookies could use the extra work. All of them. In Maybin's case though, it isn't that hard to come in and be a situational pass rusher. The guys I REALLY WISH WERE SIGNED AND IN CAMP are Wood and Levitre.

Bills negotiations with Maybin

Evidently, apparently, allegedly, the Bills are not deeply involved in negotiations with Aaron Maybin.

Now, I'm sure part of this is Parker being his usual hard-a$$ self in trying to get the best deal for his client. And the Bills aren't going to throw a blank check to their newest DE.

Still, it's disconcerting that the two sides are so far apart on a deal.

EDIT: removed topic description

Note: Maybin is represented by Chafie Fields/Joel Segal, not Parker, who represents Jairus Byrd.

I also take issue with the Pro Football Talk post referencing this to be "a holdout." By definition and by reality it is not. Jason Peters was holding out. Aaron Maybin is unsigned.

jw

Note: Maybin is represented by Chafie Fields/Joel Segal, not Parker, who represents Jairus Byrd.

I also take issue with the Pro Football Talk post referencing this to be "a holdout." By definition and by reality it is not. Jason Peters was holding out. Aaron Maybin is unsigned.

jw

Thanks John for the correction. I know there's been some confusion about holdouts versus unsigned status. It seems a more apt description to call a rookie unsigned as opposed to holding out.

Thanks John for the correction. I know there's been some confusion about holdouts versus unsigned status. It seems a more apt description to call a rookie unsigned as opposed to holding out.

calling an unsigned rookie a holdout puts the onus solely on the player. the player might be "holding out" for money more money, but the team is also "holding out" for less money. they're both holdouts in that sense. that's why most in the business go with "unsigned."

jw

EDITED.

This is going to be a stupid question, but here goes...can a player practice if he's not signed and hope a deal works out in time?

I believe it has happened in the past when the two sides are very close and if so, the player would then take out an insurance policy to cover himself in case of an injury before the contract officially takes effect.

I believe it has happened in the past when the two sides are very close and if so, the player would then take out an insurance policy to cover himself in case of an injury before the contract officially takes effect.

of course any player with an agent with half a brain would not do this as he gives up all leverage to get a deal a done.

what does the team lose by dragging its feet to finish the deal if the player is in camp already.

jw

He is not practicing because he is holding out for more money. Therefore, he is a holdout.

jw

Chafie got his certification? Good for him. Always enjoyed watching him play at PSU, and wish he could've made it in the pros.

i was, though they made me wait an extra 5 minutes. didn't realize i was going to be on for 15. i like Alex. have dealt with him on numerous occasions.

jw

You did a nice job giving them a little inside perspective on the topics they brought up - great interview. Of course it *was* about the Bills so I'm a little biased. I really enjoy Sirius NFL Radio, there's a lot of football knowledge on the station and even a few Buffalo connections.

Kudos you to, I hope to hear you on again in the future...

He is not practicing because he is holding out for more money. Therefore, he is a holdout.

It's too simplistic to take this stance. As much as I have issues with the front office, negotiations are not a matter of the player rejecting "good" offers. It's a bargaining process that two sides ultimately have to agree upon.

There are four players out of 32 first round picks signed. This is a matter of agents waiting to see what the market is set at before agreeing to a deal. Besides, these agents want to build credibility to sign future clients, and thus we see the patient approach which many fans do not comprehend.