Bruce Smith vs Reggie White

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? Bruce was very good against the run and unequaled as a pass rusher.

Attitude, team player, all that crap.

And Bruce wasn't as good against the run as you say. He could chase a play down from behind, but couldn't hold at the point of attack. That's why teams just ran right at him.

Attitude, team player, all that crap.

And Bruce wasn't as good against the run as you say. He could chase a play down from behind, but couldn't hold at the point of attack. That's why teams just ran right at him.

Attitude? C'mon. I'll take talent and production over attitude. Your point about the run is correct regarding his 1st couple years in the league. Once he got in shape and studied film, he was very tough against the run. Watch some old tapes.

(Guess it's just you and I.)

Bruce is the best DE ever but he isnt the best pass rusher ever..... that distinction belongs to LT.

Just cause Bruce had the most sacks does not make him the best ever. Emmit has the most yards ever but I think we can all agree that hes not the best RB ever.

Bruce.

Reggie was very talented, and nothing should be taken away from his career. Same goes with LT. These two guys revolutionized the defensive line/rushing linebacker position. However, Bruce was just better. He not only forced teams to gameplan around him, he scared the living crap out of coaches and offensive players. He made his teammates better... When you take on two guys, you allow for the OLB behind you to make a play. When you BEAT those two guys blocking you almost every down, and you have the help from the outside, you're just ridiculous and dominant. Everyone loves to start an argument, play the devil's advocate, etc. but Bruce Smith was the best defensive player in the history of the NFL, period. David Deacon Jones be damned... LT's crazy eyes be damned. Reggie's dominance and heart [no pun intended] be damned... Great players, changed the game, hall of famers, etc... But they can all sit down BEHIND Bruce Smith when forming the "best ever" line.

It's about time that we make a real argument here... Was Bruce Smith the best PLAYER ever in the NFL? There's a real argument, as opposed to this reggie vs. bruce one.

It's really not a Bruce Smith highlight video without the sack where Jeff George drops back, looks to his left, sees Bruce in his face, and clearly mouths "Oh, sh--!" just before he's nailed.

And it's sad to think that at least a third of those sacks in that video would be roughing penalties today.

It's really not a Bruce Smith highlight video without the sack where Jeff George drops back, looks to his left, sees Bruce in his face, and clearly mouths "Oh, sh--!" just before he's nailed.

And it's sad to think that at least a third of those sacks in that video would be roughing penalties today.

Indeed. Particularly when Bruce often eased up (a little) on QBs he could really pound, unlike many other defensive linemen during that period.

There is no comparison between Bruce playing RDE (going against a team's best O-lineman in the LT) in a 3-4, with only 2 other guys on the line to occupy the opposing OL (not to mention playing next to the woefully undersized Jeff Wright), versus Reggie White playing LDE (going against the RT) in a 4-3, with 3 other guys occupying the opponents' O-line, and some great players on those DL's no less. Imagine Bruce with Ted Washington at NT all those years, or Washington/Adams and Williams at the DT spots. :unsure:

I was thinking the same thing. It is sad. That Boomer Esiason sack probably would have gotten him fined as well in today's NFL.

well im expecting people to be honest

Ok, you want honesty, two completely different style Defensive Ends

Reggie was stronger and Bruce was faster, If you want a complete Defensive end that can run down running backs then it has to be BRUCE

Both are number one and two,

Reggie White and Bruce Smith, there should be no argument about that.

I watched them both their entire carreer, and if they were both in the 2010 draft, I take BRUCE...period