Indy has run the same system for years & it got them 1 superbowl..

SKOOBY

Does that mean that every system has it's ups and downs or is it the peak time for players to execute the system that determines how a system works?

I don't mean to steer off...but... when it comes to executing the same system - I think we need to keep Dick Jauron around even past this year. We need repetition for this young team and getting a new coach after this season would just slow us down.

I HAVE CONFIDENCE IN DICK JAURON :thumbsup:

The most imortant factor relative to the success of a system is now, as it has always been, the ability of the players to execute. Good players = good systems. Pretty simple.

I'm sure there are those that buy into the old tale that a good coach will design a system according to the type of players he has. And there's a kernel of truth to that. Even still, without enough good players, it doesn't matter what kind of system a coach incorporates.

GO BILLS!!!

So let's add this up...

Same system, young and healthy Colts = Super Bowl

Same system, old and injured Colts = No Super Bowl

Yup, clearly the system.

Why do you always have to be a d-ck? How did the Colts go from young to old in a matter of two seasons?

As far as defensive systems go if you have the personnel to run it complemented by good coaching you will have an effective defense. Indy (Aside from having a great offense with Peyton Manning) added Tony Dungy and he implemented the Tampa 2. Indy had some of the pieces to the puzzle like Dwight Freeney and Rashid Mathis. So Dungy simply implemented a new coverage scheme and new linebackers to a defense that already had two pass rushers.

So once Indy got the coaching in place they began to make small yet effective changes to the defense. Indy added faster linebackers like Cato June. They added Cheap corners who could play the Cover 2. Than they were extremely fortunate to have a guy like Bob Sanders fall into their lap and add a big time safety that would make the defense more effective.

Also in 2006 the Colts added Anthony McFarland who helped out their D-line for that season. So basically Tony Dungy had a great offense that strapped the cap so he built a cheap yet effective defense that when he inherited it only had 2 pieces in place. Dungy assembled a secondary that could bend and not break. He got fast linebackers that could pursue the ball even if they were a little small. He than added McFarland during that Super Bowl year to add to the D-line.

All Dungy had to do was assemble an average defense and let the offense win. Eventually the Colts won one Super Bowl. Basically it wasn't that the Tampa 2 stuck over time it was the defense became average and gave the Colts offense the chance to win.

Why do you always have to be a d-ck?

I'm a dick when there are dumb questions to answers that are obvious.

How did the Colts go from young to old in a matter of two seasons?

Ask Marvin Harrison about his age, and Manning, Freeney, Bob Sanders, Harrison and Joseph Addai about their injuries.

Does that mean that every system has it's ups and downs or is it the peak time for players to execute the system that determines how a system works?

Having Bill Polian in the FO and giving him a FREE HAND, is the best system at the Colts.

I'm a dick when there are dumb questions to answers that are obvious.

Ask Marvin Harrison about his age, and Manning, Freeney, Bob Sanders, Harrison and Joseph Addai about their injuries.

Right, but it sucks that you're a dick and completely missing the point. The Colts persevered with the same system for years before their Super Bowl (and before they were old and decrepit) and eventually won one. Saying that they're broken down now doesn't have anything to do with all those years they were up and coming.

Right, but it sucks that you're a dick and completely missing the point. The Colts persevered with the same system for years before their Super Bowl (and before they were old and decrepit) and eventually won one. Saying that they're broken down now doesn't have anything to do with all those years they were up and coming.

and winning and giving their team a chance to succeed. Russ is bringing the people to make us better, I like it.

When did I say that? Looks like you're the one missing the point.

The original question was basically asking if the players changed or the system changed. I said the system has stayed the same but the players eventually became old or injured, or both.

it means its hard to win a super bowl and you dont win it with just one aspect of the game, defense and special teams are just as important as offense

When did I say that? Looks like you're the one missing the point.

The original question was basically asking if the players changed or the system changed. I said the system has stayed the same but the players eventually became old or injured, or both.

I think most would interpret the original question to be related to Peyton's first 8 years before they won the Super Bowl, when they kept the same system, not the last two, when age started to show it's head.

it means its hard to win a super bowl and you dont win it with just one aspect of the game, defense and special teams are just as important as offense

We're the #1 in special teams, so that's a good start. :thumbsup:

If that's based on stats, they're thwarted. The defense that year became exponentially better in the playoffs when Sanders returned from like a 10 week injury.

Correct. It wasn't as good as the Bears', but it was good.