Smoking Ban In Military Proposed

Is anyone really surprised?

Apparently it costs too much money to treat veterans for "smoking related illnesses." We do seem to have enough money however to provide free medical care to illegal aliens. Also, how does this get enforced? Mandatory blood tests and dishonorable discharges to was heros, and other brave soldiers? Do we oust F-16 pilots from the service if they have traces of tobacco in their blood?

I'm not too worried. At least we have politicians from both parties who will certainly stand up for the rights of soldiers. :lol:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently it costs too much money to treat veterans for "smoking related illnesses." We do seem to have enough money however to provide free medical care to illegal aliens. Also, how does this get enforced? Mandatory blood tests and dishonorable discharges to was heros, and other brave soldiers? Do we oust F-16 pilots from the service if they have traces of tobacco in their blood?

I'm not too worried. At least we have politicians from both parties who will certainly stand up for the rights of soldiers. :lol:

Well, we've already ousted the pole smokers, might as well start enforcing restrictions on behavior that may actually have detrimental effects on battlefield performance.

Don't think so partner. Smoking has pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur. Less and less people are smoking so it's difficult to figure out who's left to pressure representatives for smoking causes. Pols pretty much are going to be anti-smoking these days. That's just the way it is. I know you are trying to make a civil liberties "choice" kind of argument here but jeez, why waste time on this?

I'm trying to give the damn things up myself.

This is total bullsh-- and indicative of what you'll see if Obamer is able to force his health care initiative through. So according to many here we should legalize pot, but make tobacco use for our soldiers illegal. Yes, that makes sense.

I don't smoke. I am 100% cured, unlike the chickenschit, lame azz statement from your President, but this IS a civil liberties issue. Let the men and women smoke 'em if they got 'em.

why should the military not have to follow the same rules the rest of the industries are facing. if smokers everywhere are being forced to not smoke in restaurants, public places, work places, then soldiers should also not be allowed to smoke in their work place.......

Cigs are relaxing, after the stress of combat.

Mortars shells whizzing overhead. One may land. I guess these folks think that a cig, or second-hand smoke is more dangerous.

God help us...

And if cigs are so dangerous - ask yourself: Why are they not illegal? Well, tobacco taxation is the 4th largest source of revenue in my State - Ohio. There's a thought...

Stop this "cost" garbage...cig smokers die relatively younger, don't cash in their Social Security, etc. If folks stopped smoking, health costs would skyrocket and SS would collapse even earlier, because of the owed folks actually living longer.

Which is why - despite all the rhetoric - you will never see tobacco made illegal. And you non-smokers' costs are heavily subsidized by smokers. If you posses brains, offer a smoker a light...

If you are an anti-tobacco zealot, go ahead and see how far you go with banning it...I would like you to turn your efforts to trying. You will quickly find that your legislators are not sympathetic.

hopefully the military is careful at assessing stress levels of soldiers before giving them such assignments

Its actually a good point.

For example...some aviator is going to take an FA-18 loaded with a couple thousands pounds of ordinance, hurl it off a flight deck with a steam catapult, fly it over Iraq for about 12 hours straight with three or four mid-air refuelings, then land the thing on a pitching deck at NIGHT...and then were gonna get on the guy about "health hazards" of the Camel Light he fires up when he goes back to the Squadron ready room ???!!!!?????

This is total bullsh-- and indicative of what you'll see if Obamer is able to force his health care initiative through. So according to many here we should legalize pot, but make tobacco use for our soldiers illegal. Yes, that makes sense.

I don't smoke. I am 100% cured, unlike the chickenschit, lame azz statement from your President, but this IS a civil liberties issue. Let the men and women smoke 'em if they got 'em.

What does this have to do with Obama?

Its actually a good point.

For example...some aviator is going to take an FA-18 loaded with a couple thousands pounds of ordinance, hurl it off a flight deck with a steam catapult, fly it over Iraq for about 12 hours straight with three or four mid-air refuelings, then land the thing on a pitching deck at NIGHT...and then were gonna get on the guy about "health hazards" of the Camel Light he fires up when he goes back to the Squadron ready room ???!!!!?????

So where do gays stack up on the threat-o-meter?

What does this have to do with Obama?

What doesn't this have to do with Obama? He is the Commander in Chief of the armed forces. You don't know what this means do you? He is also a smoker. But don't worry...he doesn't let his children see him smoke.

This also has everything to do with Gov't health care. Once the Gov't completely runs things (Oh, I forgot...we'll still have a private option), how long until they prohibit smoking for all of us?

BTW, are you of the opinion that weed should be legalized? Just curious.

I think if you join the military, personally dealing with the stress of combat is a given...no?

Not if you're an armchair liberal. Much like cops, soldiers aren't allowed to make any mistakes and are expected to use perfectly sane and rational judgment at all times regardless of the circumstances. Oh yeah...and since they are 'at work' just like some schmo' at a 9 to 5 desk job, they shouldn't be allowed to smoke.

:lol:

What doesn't this have to do with Obama? He is the Commander in Chief of the armed forces. You don't know what this means do you? He is also a smoker. But don't worry...he doesn't let his children see him smoke.

This also has everything to do with Gov't health care. Once the Gov't completely runs things (Oh, I forgot...we'll still have a private option), how long until they prohibit smoking for all of us?

I consider smoking to be stupid. I am of the opinion that anything I consider to be stupid should be eliminated.

then you shouldn't need the cigarettes to relieve stress....i am sure there are lots of workers in the US that would love a smoke at their desk after a rather complicated access query :lol: , but they can't.....should be no different in the military...they can light up after their off duty or off base just like any other citizen....now if they want all soldiers to flat out not smoke 24/7 then screw that.....

I think if you join the military, personally dealing with the stress of combat is a given...no?

At this moment in time, the article the OP provided has NOTHING to do with Obama. It's based on a report released by "health officials" in the Pentagon. Nobody's done anything yet. Not Obama, not the Pentagon, not an Admiral, General, nobody. There's also no indication that anything WILL be done. So I ask again, what does THIS issue have to do with Obama?

I think the government would do a much better job of running health care than ANY company whose main concern is their bottom line. Read that carefully before you respond.

I think everything should legal. Tobacco, Alcohol, Pot, Cocaine, PCP, Heroine, Meth, gambling, prostitution, incest, polygamy, gay marriage, bestial marriage, anything, so long as we give credence to the age regulations regarding consent already in place/practice in this country. Obviously, this makes bestial marriage a tad tricky, but I don't think anyone has the right to tell me I'm not allowed to even consider marrying my favorite goat.

I think the government would do a much better job of running health care than ANY company whose main concern is their bottom line. Read that carefully before you respond.

Agreed. And if we can fix this issue, we fix a lot of things.

Agreed. And if we can fix this issue, we fix a lot of things.

As non-incorporated, non-lobbying, living, breathing Americans, we get the short end of a lot of political sticks. But the ROI the average American gets on Healthcare is a bona fide scam. The unsustainable droves of money being pumped into healthcare now would actually be diminished by the dreaded single-payer system. But heaven forbid we spend less money to help more people.

Let's not turn this into a spending argument, obviously in an ideal world we wouldn't spend money to help anyone but ourselves, but folks, this isn't an ideal world, so get used to it!