Joel Bell and inter-team communication

zazie

I did not see Joel Bell get picked up yet maybe I missed it.

But, what is the communication between teams like? Do thes other teams call the Bills and vice-versa and ask about guys? How do players that were signed and cut by another team suddenly sometimes turn up on our practice squad while guys we had in training camp are cut and gone?

I always wondered how much teams communicate can anyone shed light on this?

Did the Bills tell other teams that Bell was not up to it?

I did not see Joel Bell get picked up yet maybe I missed it.

But, what is the communication between teams like? Do thes other teams call the Bills and vice-versa and ask about guys? How do players that were signed and cut by another team suddenly sometimes turn up on our practice squad while guys we had in training camp are cut and gone?

I always wondered how much teams communicate can anyone shed light on this?

In addition to college scouting the NFL teams have pro scouts that take a look at what other pro teams have. So if a teams pro scouts really like Joel Bell they would have had him on their radar and once it got across that he was released they would have given him an offer.

I don't think there is much communication other than off the field issues. Team X might call the Bills and ask if player X is a good kid or not. I had a football coach who use to intern at an NFL team (The Giants training staff I think) and he said that they watch talent that is in the league almost as much as they watch what is in college.

If they had told the teams that Bell was not up to it, the other teams wouldn't know whether it was an honest evaluation or a smoke-screen.

But anyway, it's practically impossible to get anybody, company or person, to give a bad recommendation these days. It's too easy to get sued. No way would they put on the grapevine that Bell was no good. Too many lawyers in this country, and I say that as a man who greatly admires his sister who is a lawyer.

If they had told the teams that Bell was not up to it, the other teams wouldn't know whether it was an honest evaluation or a smoke-screen.

But anyway, it's practically to get anybody, company or person, to give a bad recommendation these days. It's too easy to get sued. No way would they put on the grapevine that Bell was no good. Too many lawyers in this country, and I say that as a man who greatly admires his sister who is a lawyer.

The most honest evaluation was quite evident: Any player who is signed for a minimal salary and gets waived before camp is, in the team's evaluation, no good. The only rookies who get cut before camp are considered as no good, otherwise they would have one of the 80 spots.

Either that or the Bills are so loaded on their O line that they can afford to cut NFL caliber players before camp.

The NFL is just against him because he's 6'7". They just aren't giving him a fair chance. It's all a conspiracy against him and he'll show 'em in Canada just what a big mistake they made!!! :ph34r:

Seriously, IIRC, Ralph Wilson called Lamar Hunt to inquire about Marv Levy before hiring him. Hunt told Wilson he thought he'd made a huge mistake when he fired Levy. The rest is history. :lol:

I think the Bills have also been a part of a shared scouting collaborative known as the BLESTO0V group. I think the original B was for the Bears, but membership in this group which collaborated on scouting and assessments of college players has shifted over time. I am not sure that even survived the development of a new order of operation which saw some fairly detailed and practical collaboration in regard to the combine.

However, NFL teams (and even with the players as reflected in the partnership embodied in the CBA clearly recognize that the teams rather than being competitors except on the field of play are actually partners in providing entertainment and getting every $ they can from you and me through selling a stable product to the TV networks.