Pass the new O-line Kool Aid

Trent Edwards got sacked only one time for every 16 drop backs last season. The Bills yards per rush was pedestrian. The Bills lost (in part) because their receivers couldn't get open. The O-line didn't kill the Bills. It wasn't great, but it wasn't killer. Neither McNally nor Kugler could make All Pros out of the bunch, but they were serviceable (especially compared to what came before).

So now the Bills totally uprooted the O-line, and replaced it with WHAT?

Who knows?

So now the Bills seem to have a receiving corps, but why should I believe the O-line will perform against the AFC East monster 3-4s? Why should I believe in Sean Kugler?

Pass the Kool Aid.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787
Trent Edwards got sacked only one time for every 16 drop backs last season. The Bills yards per rush was pedestrian. The Bills lost (in part) because their receivers couldn't get open. The O-line didn't kill the Bills. It wasn't great, but it wasn't killer. Neither McNally nor Kugler could make All Pros out of the bunch, but they were serviceable (especially compared to what came before).

Who knows?

So now the Bills seem to have a receiving corps, but why should I believe the O-line will perform against the AFC East monster 3-4s? Why should I believe in Sean Kugler?

Pass the Kool Aid.

Cohesion, Brains and Brawn Plus better character, loyalty and team unity. http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-9-5/R...e-overhaul.html

I'll take a sip...

Cohesion, Brains and Brawn Plus better character, loyalty and team unity.

...that's the spin from OBD.

How long until we see what it does on the turf?

Maybe by the 3rd pre-season game?

It was uprooted and placed with guys with attitude and mean streaks......

...again, that's the OBD spin = Kool Aid

When Hanglider mauls Wilfork, that's a different story, not just a fairy tale from Chris Brownose.

Only one way to find out if they are any good. Let's see how they do the first five or six games of the season. I'm crossing my fingers. I'm skeptical because we moved around the veterans and have a few rookies starting. This is a very big experiment, and if it pays off, given our receivers and running backs, we could be in good shape.

Who knows?

Pass the Kool Aid.

Sorry, but I don't buy into the whole "receivers don't get open" stuff. With the speed of today's secondaries it's rare that receivers are open. The QBs today who have successes are the one's who aren't afraid to throw it to guys that are covered. The Cardinals do this, Giants do this, Steelers, Patriots, and on and on.

For whatever reason the Bills refuse to do this in favor of the "safe" check down passes. Either Edwards doesn't trust himself enough to do this, or the coaches have him too petrified of throwing interceptions. Trent is going to have to put on his big boy pants in '09 and throw the ball to guys that aren't "wide open" down the field and trust that with a quick release, the accuracy of his arm and the aggressiveness of his receivers that the Bills will hit the jackpot of points this season.

As for the O-line, the only reason they were able to even have pedestrian numbers was because of Lynch's heart. Last year's line couldn't get a push against high schoolers.

Sorry, but I don't buy into the whole "receivers don't get open" stuff. With the speed of today's secondaries it's rare that receivers are open. The QBs today who have successes are the one's who aren't afraid to throw it to guys that are covered.

...and like Brett Favre.

Hypothetically then, have today's Tom Brady throwing to the 2008 Bills "receivers": Do the Bills beat the Patriots 56-10, like in 2007? Does Brady throw 4 TD passes to Lee Evans in the first half?

lets look at last years line - Walker was OK and our best performer overall, Butler was ok as a pass blocker but was occasionally bull rushed and really struggled to get any movement in the rush game, Fowler and Preston were just below average athletes, Dockery had some talent but most of the time didn't seem to have his head in the game, wiffed on some important plays, Peters had immense talent but there are two common reactions to feeling underpaid, some say I'll work so hard they will have to give me a raise, others say screw this and start doing the minimum to avoid being fired and steal office supplies, Peters was the latter.

Our new line? lets see, well Hangartner is better than Fowler or Preston, Rookie guards have a history of playing pretty well, but at OT? make a list of all the starting LTs and RTs and put Walker and Butler where you think they fit, the result is not pretty- you going to keep in TEs to block? teams will just send more pass rushers or have double coverage on both wide-outs.

I still don't understand the logic of moving Walker to left tackle, why down grade two positions when you could have just screwed up one.

We'll have 4 TD passes in the 1st quarter.

OK, so are you saying that mixing the 2008 Bills "receiving corps" with with a healthy Tom Brady instead of the Two Headed Monster (Edwards/Losman) produces 4 TDs (for the Bills, presumably) in the first quarter against Belichick's defense?

...and like Brett Favre.

Hypothetically then, have today's Tom Brady throwing to the 2008 Bills "receivers": Do the Bills beat the Patriots 56-10, like in 2007? Does Brady throw 4 TD passes to Lee Evans in the first half?

I think Brady would have had around 24 TDs with our 2008 group. Flawed? Yes. But certainly not as anemic as last years numbers would make you think. The QB and coaches need to show some confidence in themselves and the skilled players in '09.

OK, so are you saying that mixing the 2008 Bills "receiving corps" with with a healthy Trent Edwards instead of the Two Headed Monster (Edwards/Losman) produces 4 TDs (for the Bills, presumably) in the first quarter against Belichick's defense?

Fixed

I think Brady would have had around 24 TDs with our 2008 group. Flawed? Yes. But certainly not as anemic as last years numbers would make you think. The QB and coaches need to show some confidence in themselves and the skilled players in '09.

Spoken like in a Chris Farley motivational speech! Bring on the psychologists!

Only one way to find out if they are any good. Let's see how they do the first five or six games of the season. I'm crossing my fingers. I'm skeptical because we moved around the veterans and have a few rookies starting. This is a very big experiment, and if it pays off, given our receivers and running backs, we could be in good shape.

Love the Bobby J avatar. Give me two packs of Camels and a 28 lotery tickets.....

Personally, I rate Langston as a playoff contender RT, but just barely, if supported. I don't think there's any chance that Butler or Chambers start on a playoff contender. As for Hangartner, Wood and Levitre, they could be anything from Tutan Reyes to Mike Gandy, until proven otherwise.

If I don't like my present car, I don't blow it up until I've acquired a better car.

As for Hangartner, Wood and Levitre, they could be anything from Tutan Reyes to Mike Gandy, until proven otherwise.

Those poor guys...they're either as bad as Reyes or as good as Gandy.

Either way, if they end up playing like that we are in trouble.

I do see Wood being a Pro Bowler in 2-3 years...Hangartner and Levitre I'm not too sure on.