A thread for soccer fans

USA vs. Honduras, Wed. 7/8 at 9pm ET on Fox Soccer Channel.

It's a step down in intensity from the Confederations Cup. For the most part, it's a B-squad for team USA. But some top players like Steve Cherundolo, Freddy Adu and Charlie Davies will be featured. Also, it was just announced that Benny Feilhaber was just added to the roster for this game. USA beat Grenada 4-0 over the weekend. They finish up group play against Haiti this Saturday at 7pm (also televised on FSC).

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a step down in intensity from the Confederations Cup. For the most part, it's a B-squad for team USA. But some top players like Steve Cherundolo, Freddy Adu and Charlie Davies will be featured. Also, it was just announced that Benny Feilhaber was just added to the roster for this game. USA beat Grenada 4-0 over the weekend. They finish up group play against Haiti this Saturday at 7pm (also televised on FSC).

Robbie Rogers is an interesting prospect. I remember watching him in the U-21 matches and he always seemed to be one of the better players out on the pitch, and in his National team debut against Grenada he was once again one of the best players out there that day with 2 assists and a goal.

What makes him dangerous in my view, is his ability to cross the ball in the middle, not to mention his skill set. I would imagine that pretty soon he will be packing his backs and heading to Europe to enhance his career.

What's a B-squad?

What's a B-squad?

Duh, it's what's on the opposite side of a bee's hamstring. :thumbdown::thumbdown:

It's just a lesser collection of players. As opposed to the A-squad. Many of the top notch U.S. players just had a stretch with the national team and are either getting a rest or going back to their club team responsibilities.

Duh, it's what's on the opposite side of a bee's hamstring. :D;)

It's just a lesser collection of players. As opposed to the A-squad. Many of the top notch U.S. players just had a stretch with the national team and are either getting a rest or going back to their club team responsibilities.

Kinda like triple A baseball?

We officially hate Honduras. Their due process tossed out their President who beat the popular drum for an extended term, so his Marxist buddies including Obama and Chavez are in a snit.

Sorry...Honduras has been declared uncool.

Kinda like triple A baseball?

Something like that, but not really.

You are allowed to bring anywhere between 18 - 21 players in FIFA regulated games. So what the US and every other national team is doing that have World Cup aspirations is they are looking for the best 18 players that they can bring to them to the world cup. So it is a trial and error process, constantly calling on new players to see if they are good enough to make the squad.

The team we brought out to the Confederations Cup was considered to be for the most part our "best" perceived team according to our coaches, with the exceptions of a few players because of injuries. So this team that we are bringing out in the Gold Cup, is mainly a bunch of new players with the possible talent to make on the Final World Cup Roster. Usually in these latter stages, which is what we are entering now, with the WC just around the corner, we usually find 1 - 2 new, young players that surprise, and show that they have what it takes to make the squad, and I believe Rogers falls in that category.

Hope that answers your question.

We officially hate Honduras. Their due process tossed out their President who beat the popular drum for an extended term, so his Marxist buddies including Obama and Chavez are in a snit.

Sorry...Honduras has been declared uncool.

Hondurans are passionate about soccer. They have had to put up with a lot of crap (poverty, natural disasters, shaky politics). Lately, they seem to be improving their game. They have a decent chance of qualifying for the World Cup for the first time since 1982. Honduras is cool.

Good Second half, great build up on the first goal with a good finish from Quarantina. Adu looked lousy and we improved a lot when Feilhaber came in for him, Robbie Rogers was dangerous at times, but was too easily dispossessed on a few occasions, and for me the player of the game was Kyle Beckerman, kid looks like he's gonna be a good one. Mediocre first half, impressive second half. All in all, the youngens looked good.

Something like that, but not really.

You are allowed to bring anywhere between 18 - 21 players in FIFA regulated games. So what the US and every other national team is doing that have World Cup aspirations is they are looking for the best 18 players that they can bring to them to the world cup. So it is a trial and error process, constantly calling on new players to see if they are good enough to make the squad.

The team we brought out to the Confederations Cup was considered to be for the most part our "best" perceived team according to our coaches, with the exceptions of a few players because of injuries. So this team that we are bringing out in the Gold Cup, is mainly a bunch of new players with the possible talent to make on the Final World Cup Roster. Usually in these latter stages, which is what we are entering now, with the WC just around the corner, we usually find 1 - 2 new, young players that surprise, and show that they have what it takes to make the squad, and I believe Rogers falls in that category.

Hope that answers your question.

It actually did. Good job! :lol:

I missed the game last night but caught
on a replay of Tosh.0 a couple of nights ago. I wish YouTube had a frame-by-frame feature.

LMAO....I played with a guy who did that all the time, but never saw anyone take it in the head. :lol:

Not a huge soccer follower, but what in the world ever happen to Freddy Adu?

never lived up to the hype, and most likely never will. He has got excellent individual skills, but he still thinks he can juke out players the way he did when he was 12, but against the big boys, that just doesn't fly. He holds on to the ball way too long, doesn't distribute it fast enough and is easily dispossessed against stronger defenders. However, he is an excellent passer, he does have dynamic one on one moves and is dangerous in open space, but when you play against the best, rarely do you have the ball in open space. I think he is best suited as an outside Midfielder and he just needs to learn to distribute the ball quicker and realize that he isn't Ronaldo.

never lived up to the hype, and most likely never will. He has got excellent individual skills, but he still thinks he can juke out players the way he did when he was 12, but against the big boys, that just doesn't fly. He holds on to the ball way too long, doesn't distribute it fast enough and is easily dispossessed against stronger defenders. However, he is an excellent passer, he does have dynamic one on one moves and is dangerous in open space, but when you play against the best, rarely do you have the ball in open space. I think he is best suited as an outside Midfielder and he just needs to learn to distribute the ball quicker and realize that he isn't Ronaldo.

I think that's it exactly. He needs to break out of his natural tendency to want to dribble right at people. It was never fair though for people to try to stick him with the "savior" tag. That is much Freddie Adu about nothing. :lol:

The true saviors of U.S. soccer are (from back to front) Howard, Onyewu, Bradley, Feilhaber, Donovan, Altidore.

Onyewu just got signed by AC Milan. :lol:

Now let's see if he can get any playing time...

It's awesome! He really deserves it. I happen to think he is a world class center back. This is great for American players. I want to see the next generation of American players all over the place in the top European leagues. I want to see them in the Champions League, FA Cup Finals, etc…