A thread for soccer fans

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That should be very interesting. The whole situation has gotten messy.

Those MLS pussies are complete dumbasses. They should be down on their knees having a guy like Beckham here, not getting all caught up in their jealousy over who the guy is, what he makes, whether he wears the captain's arm band, etc. If they can't see how having big names in the league serves to benefit THEM, then they are clueless. I'm sick of hearing about Donovan's accomplishments. He's done next to nothing compared to someone like Beckham. So he's the leading scorer in MLS? WHOOOPIE! Donovan is basically a nobody on the world stage, and they are ruining the opportunity they have before them.

Those MLS pussies are complete dumbasses. They should be down on their knees having a guy like Beckham here, not getting all caught up in their jealousy over who the guy is, what he makes, whether he wears the captain's arm band, etc. If they can't see how having big names in the league serves to benefit THEM, then they are clueless. I'm sick of hearing about Donovan's accomplishments. He's done next to nothing compared to someone like Beckham. So he's the leading scorer in MLS? WHOOOPIE! Donovan is basically a nobody on the world stage, and they are ruining the opportunity they have before them.

well...

I wouldn't go that far, the guy clearly was not motivated to be in the MLS, and the fact that he didn't show up for games while he was injured and acted as if he was too good to be in the league does not give him a free pass to act like a jack ass. If they are going to make him the highest paid player in MLS history, and give him the royal red carpet treatment, as they did, then he should at least act like he gives a damn. Maybe if he did , the players of the league could be "on their knees", but the fact that he hasn't, in my view, deserves whatever criticism comes his way. I actually like the fact that Donovan has got the moxy to confront a player of his stature, I just think that he could of handled it better and behind closed doors as opposed to what he did, which is talk about it out in the public.

Btw, where do you always hear about his accomplishments? I'm pretty sure we watch the same broadcasts when the US team is playing, and I don't hear his name get overplayed. He's arguably the best attacking player in US history, I think he deserves a little credit.

Remember this post if T.O. decides he's had enough...

well...

I wouldn't go that far, the guy clearly was not motivated to be in the MLS, and the fact that he didn't show up for games while he was injured and acted as if he was too good to be in the league does not give him a free pass to act like a jack ass. If they are going to make him the highest paid player in MLS history, and give him the royal red carpet treatment, as they did, then he should at least act like he gives a damn. Maybe if he did , the players of the league could be "on their knees", but the fact that he hasn't, in my view, deserves whatever criticism comes his way. I actually like the fact that Donovan has got the moxy to confront a player of his stature, I just think that he could of handled it better and behind closed doors as opposed to what he did, which is talk about it out in the public.

Btw, where do you always hear about his accomplishments? I'm pretty sure we watch the same broadcasts when the US team is playing, and I don't hear his name get overplayed. He's arguably the best attacking player in US history, I think he deserves a little credit.

I've never seen Beckham be anything but humble with regard to coming to the US and having the opportunity to play in the MLS. How is it that he's acting like a jackass? Or were you talking about Donovan :thumbsup:

Do you realize how much attention the MLS received before Beckham even played a GAME for the Galaxy? I remember watching the game on ESPN (or was it ABC?) where he was supposed to get at least a few minutes playing time....there were celebrities at the stadium, media everywhere, people were talking about it at work, etc. As they say, the rising tide brings all ships to the top...if I were in their position, I'd be thrilled that the league I was playing in was all of a sudden receivign so much attention, and most likely gaining new fans in the process.

As for credit due Donovan, I'll give him credit when he does something significant in a meaningful game on the world stage. I don't care how good he is in MLS....more often than not he becomes a non-factor against international competition and aside from a game here and there, I've never been impressed with him anywhere near the degree that he's impressed with himself.

Remember this post if T.O. decides he's had enough...

Even among Bills players, I think there are those who would be considered T.O.'s peers. The gap in talent between TO and Evans, or Marshawn, or one of our other top guys isn't much at all compared to the gap between Beckham and the rest of the MLS. Most people can't name a single other MLS player aside from Beckham. I'm not saying his TALENT level is any greater than some of the better MLS players, particularly at his age, but the guy is an attention magnet and an international superstar. He brings a great big spotlight and shines it on this obscure little soccer league that lots of people didn't even know existed, and he gives it a chance to be embraced to a much greater degree than if he'd never signed with an MLS team. Beckham is by far the biggest deal in MLS, ever. TO is the biggest deal on the Bills since we signed Bledsoe, but I don't know that his presence is doing much for the NFL as a whole anymore.

Even among Bills players, I think there are those who would be considered T.O.'s peers. The gap in talent between TO and Evans, or Marshawn, or one of our other top guys isn't much at all compared to the gap between Beckham and the rest of the MLS. Most people can't name a single other MLS player aside from Beckham. I'm not saying his TALENT level is any greater than some of the better MLS players, particularly at his age, but the guy is an attention magnet and an international superstar. He brings a great big spotlight and shines it on this obscure little soccer league that lots of people didn't even know existed, and he gives it a chance to be embraced to a much greater degree than if he'd never signed with an MLS team. Beckham is by far the biggest deal in MLS, ever. TO is the biggest deal on the Bills since we signed Bledsoe, but I don't know that his presence is doing much for the NFL as a whole anymore.

Yeah, and nothing about his play in MLS makes anyone who wasn't already a kickball fan care at all.

It's always funny to watch someone defend something indefensible. Beckham came over here with all the pomp and circumstance and none of the effort. Welcome to another reason kickball will NEVER be more than a fringe sport in America.

I've never seen Beckham be anything but humble with regard to coming to the US and having the opportunity to play in the MLS. How is it that he's acting like a jackass? Or were you talking about Donovan :thumbsup:

Do you realize how much attention the MLS received before Beckham even played a GAME for the Galaxy? I remember watching the game on ESPN where he was supposed to get at least a few minutes playing time....there were celebrities at the stadium, media everywhere, people were talking about it at work, etc. As they say, the rising tide brings all ships to the top...if I were in their position, I'd be thrilled that the league I was playing in was all of a sudden receivign so much attention, and most likely gaining new fans in the process.

As for credit due Donovan, I'll give him credit when he does something significant in a meaningful game on the world stage. I don't care how good he is in MLS....more often than not he becomes a non-factor against international competition and aside from a game here and there, I've never been impressed with him anywhere near the degree that he's impressed with himself.

'When David first came, I believed he was committed to what he was doing. But somewhere along the way he just flipped a switch and said "Uh-uh, I'm not doing it any more". My sense is that David thinks it's a joke.

'All that we care about at a minimum is that he committed himself to us. If someone's paying you more than anybody in the league, more than double anybody in the league, the least we expect is that you show up to every game, whether you're suspended or not.

'Show up and train hard. Show up and play hard. Maybe he's not a leader, maybe he's not a captain. Fair enough. But at a minimum you should bust your ass every day.

'That hasn't happened. And I don't think that's too much for us to expect. Especially when he's brought all this on us.

'I can't even say he's a good teammate any more. He's not shown that. I can't think of another guy where I'd say he wasn't a good team-mate, he didn't give everything through all this, he didn't still care.

'If that's the way he's going to be, fine, then hold him accountable. Bench him. Just say, "We're not going to play you, we don't think you're committed".'

I don't think he just made this up, plus I had read in many different articles in how Beckham was desperate to leave the league.

David Beckham was just a novelty item for the MLS, he is past his prime, has constant injury issues, and will not be missed once he departs from the league.

In regards to Donovan, Goals against Mexico and Portugal in the World Cup isn't meaningful? and how many times has he scored in World Cup qualifying, specially against Mexico? What about the goal against Brazil recently, in a FIFA sanctioned championship game. You don't like the guy, thats your opinion, but to say that the guy hasn't stepped up in big international games is just not true.

Yeah, and nothing about his play in MLS makes anyone who wasn't already a kickball fan care at all.

It's always funny to watch someone defend something indefensible. Beckham came over here with all the pomp and circumstance and none of the effort. Welcome to another reason kickball will NEVER be more than a fringe sport in America.

There's nothing to defend....I'm of the believe that ALL press is good press, and if I'm a player in MLS and I have option 1 as "business as usual", and option 2 as "over the hill international phenom shining light on my league", I'm going to take option 2 every day of the week and twice on Sunday. MLS is more KNOWN today than it was before Beckham...there's simply no disputing that fact. Beckham is to MLS what Pele was to the NASL, with the difference being that the MLS is run by people who actually have some sort of business sense.

There's nothing to defend....I'm of the believe that ALL press is good press, and if I'm a player in MLS and I have option 1 as "business as usual", and option 2 as "over the hill international phenom shining light on my league", I'm going to take option 2 every day of the week and twice on Sunday. MLS is more KNOWN today than it was before Beckham...there's simply no disputing that fact. Beckham is to MLS what Pele was to the NASL, with the difference being that the MLS is run by people who actually have some sort of business sense.

Nobody disrespected him, until he disrespected his teammates by not showing up to some of their games and not giving it his all. I don't think he did much for the league. The MLS got ripped off.

'When David first came, I believed he was committed to what he was doing. But somewhere along the way he just flipped a switch and said "Uh-uh, I'm not doing it any more". My sense is that David thinks it's a joke.

'All that we care about at a minimum is that he committed himself to us. If someone's paying you more than anybody in the league, more than double anybody in the league, the least we expect is that you show up to every game, whether you're suspended or not.

'Show up and train hard. Show up and play hard. Maybe he's not a leader, maybe he's not a captain. Fair enough. But at a minimum you should bust your ass every day.

'That hasn't happened. And I don't think that's too much for us to expect. Especially when he's brought all this on us.

'I can't even say he's a good teammate any more. He's not shown that. I can't think of another guy where I'd say he wasn't a good team-mate, he didn't give everything through all this, he didn't still care.

'If that's the way he's going to be, fine, then hold him accountable. Bench him. Just say, "We're not going to play you, we don't think you're committed".'

I don't think he just made this up, plus I had read in many different articles in how Beckham was desperate to leave the league.

David Beckham was just a novelty item for the MLS, he is past his prime, has constant injury issues, and will not be missed once he departs from the league.

In regards to Donovan, Goals against Mexico and Portugal in the World Cup isn't meaningful? and how many times has he scored in World Cup qualifying, specially against Mexico? What about the goal against Brazil recently, in a FIFA sanctioned championship game. You don't like the guy, thats your opinion, but to say that the guy hasn't stepped up in big international games is just not true.

"Especially when he's brought all this on us." That's the line that sticks out to me the most. Beckham didn't bring this on them, the MLS people did. What idiot would turn down 250 million dollars to play in a fledgling soccer league when he was past his prime?

We just see Donovan differently, man. Yeah, he's had a few moments here and there, but I don't see him as a game changing presence against the top international teams at all. Portugal was looking past us in 2002...didn't take us seriously at all and they paid for it. He had a nice goal against Brazil, but I'm over it. There have just been too many big games where I was waiting for him to be a difference maker and he wasn't. Maybe he'll change my mind yet, I dunno....but I'm not a fan.

Nobody disrespected him, until he disrespected his teammates by not showing up to some of their games and not giving it his all. I don't think he did much for the league. The MLS got ripped off.

I haven't been paying as much attention to MLS as I have the national team lately....this whole "he's a sh------- teammate" thing is new to me. I'll have to read more about this, cause aside from donovan's quotes, I haven't heard others making a big deal about it.

Welcome to another reason kickball will NEVER be more than a fringe sport in America.

I totally agree that AMERICAN kickball will never be anything more than a fringe sport in America. However, I believe that the American fan base for INTERNATIONAL kickball will continue to grow as fast or faster than it is now. ESPN is very pro-Champions League, pro-World Cup, etc. They are expanding their coverage abroad, and it's going to continue to expand here, as well. Americans want to see the best of the best, and the more familiar they become with the best players in the world, they more they'll want to see them play on tv. Ratings for international soccer in America are higher than they've ever been before, and it's a trend that's been ongoing for years now. MLS may be completely gone in five or ten years, but the American soccer fan will be stronger than ever, baby! :thumbsup:

I totally agree that AMERICAN kickball will never be anything more than a fringe sport in America. However, I believe that the American fan base for INTERNATIONAL kickball will continue to grow as fast or faster than it is now. ESPN is very pro-Champions League, pro-World Cup, etc. They are expanding their coverage abroad, and it's going to continue to expand here, as well. Americans want to see the best of the best, and the more familiar they become with the best players in the world, they more they'll want to see them play on tv. Ratings for international soccer in America are higher than they've ever been before, and it's a trend that's been ongoing for years now. MLS may be completely gone in five or ten years, but the American soccer fan will be stronger than ever, baby! :thumbsup:

If you're indicative of the "American soccer fan", then I'd say it's likely weaker than ever. Go ahead and keep defending half hearted Beckham, who is basically NKoTB on a reunion tour. What a joke.

The most likely reason that "ratings for international soccer" is higher probably has to do with the number of people from other countries who live here. I'd love to see a breakdown that shows more than minimal gains in non-kickball fans who weren't (or whose parents weren't) born elsewhere.

If you're indicative of the "American soccer fan", then I'd say it's likely weaker than ever. Go ahead and keep defending half hearted Beckham, who is basically NKoTB on a reunion tour. What a joke.

The most likely reason that "ratings for international soccer" is higher probably has to do with the number of people from other countries who live here. I'd love to see a breakdown that shows more than minimal gains in non-kickball fans who weren't (or whose parents weren't) born elsewhere.

You always give me the warm fuzzies, AD. :devil:

Looks like Prima Donovan and Beckham are destined for failure: http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives...ctory.html#more

Wow, I like this guy better already! ""It's not often that soccer is on the front of people's minds in this country and right now it seems to be. Not necessarily for the right reasons for the last couple of weeks, but people are talking about it and that's good." -Prima Donovan

He may be full of himself, but he makes sense!