A thread for soccer fans

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the game last night. I don't watch MLS very often, but I was pleasantly surprised at the overall quality of play. The three goals the Galaxy scored in the first half were first rate. Donovan was the best player out there.

I wish they would have given Rochester a team the last time they expanded. Rochester is a fantastic market for soccer, and there is already a stadium in place for an MLS team. I enjoy watching the games from time to time, especially during the time the other leagues are in offseason. I wish I had an MLS team to latch on to....

I wish they would have given Rochester a team the last time they expanded. Rochester is a fantastic market for soccer, and there is already a stadium in place for an MLS team. I enjoy watching the games from time to time, especially during the time the other leagues are in offseason. I wish I had an MLS team to latch on to....

How about Portland's new team?? :wallbash:

We'll see how long this lasts. We just lost our lacrosse team. :devil:

Kiddies did all right. Defense was tough, they controlled the tempo and beat a tough Panama team. Beckerman and Holden were the two best players on the field for me. I like Holden alot, I think he has a shot of being on the final squad, he should definitely get some more looks.

Finally got around to seeing some highlights....Beckerman's goal was a thing of beauty! It's pretty tough to keep the ball down on a shot like that, and he struck it perfectly. Goalie barely moved before the thing was in the back of the net. Seems like we had a couple of nice looks, actually. And man, what's with that Panama defender nailing our guy (Cooper, was it?) with the flying karate kick to the balls inside the box? That HAD to have hurt like a biatch!

Go Rhinos!!

For the canadians on the board, saturday at the old Olympic stadium in Montreal the two french teams Bordeaux and Guimgamp play for the "champions trophy" the traditional season kick off game in France between last season's league champ and the winner of the Cup.

Go Rhinos!!

Darn right! From what I hear, the Rhinos are VERY well supported and Rochester could very easily support an MLS franchise.

USA vs. Honduras, Wed. 7/8 at 9pm ET on Fox Soccer Channel.

It's a step down in intensity from the Confederations Cup. For the most part, it's a B-squad for team USA. But some top players like Steve Cherundolo, Freddy Adu and Charlie Davies will be featured. Also, it was just announced that Benny Feilhaber was just added to the roster for this game. USA beat Grenada 4-0 over the weekend. They finish up group play against Haiti this Saturday at 7pm (also televised on FSC).

to answer your question, it is brutally, painfully boring and the flops and crying to the ref are patently offensive.

rugby is 1000% cooler.

to answer your question, it is brutally, painfully boring and the flops and crying to the ref are patently offensive.

rugby is 1000% cooler.

It's only boring to the people who didn't grow up watching and playing soccer. Most people here in the U.S are closed-minded, so don't worry, you are not in the minority.

It's only boring to the people who didn't grow up watching and playing soccer. Most people here in the U.S are closed-minded, so don't worry, you are not in the minority.

The thread starter asked a simple question for their thread title and got a simple answer.

0:)

So in othere words one has to grow up watching it or playing the game? Gee, if that isn't an indictment that the game is flawed I don't know what is. The game can't stand on it's own merits to attract new followers that haven't be proselytized as a youth? :rolleyes::nana:

The thread starter asked a simple question for their thread title and got a simple answer.

So in othere words one has to grow up watching it or playing the game? Gee, if that isn't an indictment that the game is flawed I don't know what is. The game can't stand on it's own merits to attract new followers that haven't be proselytized as a youth? :rolleyes::nana:

And I replied. What's the problem?

And did I say that you have to grow up watching the game or playing it to not think it is boring? You said that, What I said was It's only boring to the people who didn't grow up watching and playing soccer . There is a difference.

My guess is that you got offended by the closed minded statement, like I told the other poster, don't worry, you are not in the minority.

The question posed in the title was merely rhetorical. There was another thread titled, "Why does anyone give a $#!+ about soccer." So I was just sort of providing some contrast and a different forum for the more enlightened sports fans.

Thank you for your thoughtful insights.

The question posed in the title was merely rhetorical. There was another thread titled, "Why does anyone give a $#!+ about soccer." So I was just sort of providing some contrast and a different forum for the more enlightened sports fans.

Thank you for your thoughtful insights.

Oh.

:lol: Hey I am not a mind-reader! :P

:D

:D

So in othere words one has to grow up watching it or playing the game? Gee, if that isn't an indictment that the game is flawed I don't know what is. The game can't stand on it's own merits to attract new followers that haven't be proselytized as a youth? :lol::P

Of course the place you grow up and what's popular there has a lot to do with the sports you gonna like in your life. The more you have access to something the more chances there is you gonna like that thing. What's true for soccer in the US is true for football or baseball in Europe. 90% of europeans are gonna told you baseball and football are stupid boring sports and 90% of americans will tell you soccer is dull, slow, boring.... i have no problem with that as 95% of the population is stupid sheep anyway.

My personal ranking of sports: 1/Football 2/Baseball 3/Rugby Union 4/Rugby League 5/Hockey 6/Soccer 7/Lacrosse. The rest of team sports i know (but i'd like to really know cricket, hurling, australian football and gaelic football) are not watchable IMO.

I watched an interesting game yesterday. Friendly between LA Galaxy and AC Milan. Beckham and Donovan teamed up on a very impressive fast break goal in the first half. The game finished 2-2. It was clear that AC Milan treated it as a pre-season warm-up and the Galaxy players were looking to impress. Beckham was delivering insanely accurate balls all over the field. He was really busting his ass in this game, helping back on defense, challenging players, running the entire field hard. It was clear that he is trying to earn back some respect. The game was in LA and many fans were booing him loudly. I think it would be very interesting for MLS if the Galaxy were to win the championship this year. It seems possible with Donovan and Beckham playing the way they are now and with the positive changes Bruce Arena has made to the team.

Team USA looked good tonight. 2-0 victory. On to the finals on Sunday against the winner of Mexico vs. Costa Rica (game going on right now).

I'm really excited about the emergence of this Holden kid. I've been watching him closely throughout this tournament--he is no fluke. Like Magox said earlier in this thread, a tourney like this is all about discovering one or two new stars. Holden is a perfect example.

Team USA looked good tonight. 2-0 victory. On to the finals on Sunday against the winner of Mexico vs. Costa Rica (game going on right now).

I'm really excited about the emergence of this Holden kid. I've been watching him closely throughout this tournament--he is no fluke. Like Magox said earlier in this thread, a tourney like this is all about discovering one or two new stars. Holden is a perfect example.

I'm really impressed with Holden. Great skill with the ball and precision passing, I would think that he is going to get a good look in these up and coming WC qualifiers.

Let me be clear: I'm not betting. However I went to Ladbrokes.com to see what kind of odds the bookmakers were giving us. What I saw was:

USA vs Mexico:

2.20 Home

3.00 Draw

3.00 Away

Does anyone understand these numbers? I couldn't find anything apparent on Ladbrokes website explaining what these numbers mean.