Chinese Food

ajzepp

Yikes, excuse me. No not really. But you do need oversight. :nana: Like everybody will just trust what people say. Like I told DC: "Don't take yourself so seriously." Why should I trust you or what you say?

Man you got issues. I am out.

I need oversight? You don't even know me or the pride I took in what I used to do and the quality in which I did it. No, I don't need oversight and the fact that you think I do is an insult to me and all the other professional chefs out there. Yeah I guess I have issues...with you.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need oversight? You don't even know me or the pride I took in what I used to do and the quality in which I did it. No, I don't need oversight and the fact that you think I do is an insult to me and all the other professional chefs out there. Yeah I guess I have issues...with you.

Okay, I am not out. :unsure:

So you don't need a health department to over see what is happening in professional kitchens all over the country, including yours? :nana::)

I did not intend to insult you and sorry you took it that way. If all professional chefs really think this way, no way am I ever want to have them cook for me. I also hope doctors don't think like you. With these types of comments, I am glad that someone is looking over the shoulders of cooks and chefs out there. Yikes!

Okay, I am not out. :unsure:

So you don't need a health department to over see what is happening in professional kitchens all over the country, including yours? :nana::)

I did not intend to insult you and sorry you took it that way. If all professional chefs really think this way, no way am I ever want to have them cook for me. I also hope doctors don't think like you. With these types of comments, I am glad that someone is looking over the shoulders of cooks and chefs out there. Yikes!

You don't want someone who takes pride in what they do to cook for you? You'd rather someone who didn't give a shiit who is just working for a paycheck do it? A prideful chef is one who works day and night to make people happy. To provide an unforgettable meal, to do it in the best way possible which includes as clean and sanitary as possible. You have no clue.

You don't want someone who takes pride in what they do to cook for you? You'd rather someone who didn't give a shiit who is just working for a paycheck do it? A prideful chef is one who works day and night to make people happy. To provide an unforgettable meal, to do it in the best way possible which includes as clean and sanitary as possible. You have no clue.

Wow... You are twisting this around. I want somebody who takes pride AND is open-minded enough to accept advice from others. You sound like an old farmer:

"Our family has been turning that ground for 200 years. You now want me to not turn the ground and just plant."

:nana::)

Nothing wrong with have both Chef.

Wow... You are twisting this around. I want somebody who takes pride AND is open-minded enough to accept advice from others. You sound like an old farmer:

"Our family has been turning that ground for 200 years. You now want me to not turn the ground and just plant."

:nana::)

Nothing wrong with have both Chef.

What advice? Keep the kitchen clean, hot food above 140, cold food below 40, raw food below cooked and wash my hands? Thanks but I already know that. And my point is that people are not getting sick because most chefs have pride in what they do, there's a ton of solid competition and we know what we're doing not because the health department checks the temperature of our water.

Sorry, it must be the Polish in me! :)

Speaking of Polish...

Pierogies!!! Punchkies!!! Golumpkies!!! Yummy :nana:

Chinese food isnt' exactly my favorite, but over time I've found a few dishes that I really enjoy. I thought I'd list my top few favorite dishes and see if you guys had any recommendations on what else is good.

My Favorites:

1) Shrimp Lo Mein

2) Mongolian Beef

3) General's Chicken

Other dishes I've had are Lemon Chicken, Beef and Broccoli, Garlic Chicken, Cashew Chicken, Twice Cooked Pork, and Sweet and Sour Chicken.

What are some of your favorites and what else do you recommend I try?

Mu Shu anything and anything Cantonese.

While I generally agree that Americans are too squeemish (sp?) about food I do take issue that less than high standards around preparation and storage are acceptable. I will not eat at anyplace where the restrooms are dirty. My basic thought here is that if RR is dirty so is the kitchen.

However, if the issue is eating body parts, such as brain or intestine, that Americans are afraid of, then I say get a life.

Not sure if you all have ever seen Andrew Zimmerman on the Travel Chanel, but saw his special last week on the traditional food of the Appalachians. Great show, here is a quick link where he describes it and contains links to photos etc.

http://bizarre-blog.travelchannel.com/read...crme-de-la-crme

I often tease my wife (a southerner) that I plan to write a book titled: "A Yankee who headed south in search of the perfect biscuit." Sadly though most biscuits are now mass produced and frozen into hockey pucks then "baked."

Soul food (perhaps better called traditional African American comfort food) is also headed in the same sad direction.

The crossover between the two is fried chicken. Anyone who believes that KFC or Popeyes represent this art form well should be dropped in the fryer.

Not sure where you are looking, but still plenty of great Southern food to be found. I travel the back-roads of VA, MD, and NC quite a bit, and have stopped at many great restaurants over the last 5 years. Now, if you go looking for true southern cooking in a restaurant in a strip mall in Richmond, I agree. Not saying thats what you said, just saying one needs to look for the "perfect biscuit"..cause its out there :nana:

BTW, take exception to you saying Popeyes no good. In another thread a week or so ago, I said Popeyes may be the best fried chicken out there. Popeyes Spicy is da bomb. I know some will say because its fast food can't be good, but I really think it is some of the beat fried chicken out there now!

Not sure if you all have ever seen Andrew Zimmerman on the Travel Chanel, but saw his special last week on the traditional food of the Appalachians. Great show, here is a quick link where he describes it and contains links to photos etc.

Not sure where you are looking, but still plenty of great Southern food to be found. I travel the back-roads of VA, MD, and NC quite a bit, and have stopped at many great restaurants over the last 5 years. Now, if you go looking for true southern cooking in a restaurant in a strip mall in Richmond, I agree. Not saying thats what you said, just saying one needs to look for the "perfect biscuit"..cause its out there :nana:

BTW, take exception to you saying Popeyes no good. In another thread a week or so ago, I said Popeyes may be the best fried chicken out there. Popeyes Spicy is da bomb. I know some will say because its fast food can't be good, but I really think it is some of the beat fried chicken out there now!

Thanks for the input - I agree that getting off the main roads is where you are most likely to find good southern food. My point simply was that fewer and fewer of these places are and will continue to remain in business. In addition, people are generally less prone to truly cook at home as they buy semi-prepared or even fully prepared meals.

As for Popeyes I guess we will agree to disagree. However, there may be some wiggle room in that from one location to another there may not be consistency in product and process. For example, if fryer oil is not changed out frequently enough or if other foods are fried in it the taste of the chicken may be altered. My other problem with chains is that there is often little meat on the bones (literally). You can get around this by ordering tenderloins but I believe the bone adds flavor to product as it is being fried. I guess in this sense I like big breasts :unsure:

I'll take fried chicken made in a cast iron skillet by a little grey haired lady over Popeyes any day of the week though. :)

Pierogi Fest will be happening soon... Come on up to Whiting (Indiana)...

Pierogi Fest

Hey... The Chinese call them "potstickers"... Well, sorta.

:thumbsup:

Funny how on a board a thread staring out about chinese food ends up leading to polish delights!

BTW - if you ever get the chance to eat potstickers at Bright Pearl (Spadina Street) in Toronto go for it. Take some Pierogis for them to share and make a cultural event out of it. Excellent eats all around :rolleyes:

Funny how on a board a thread staring out about chinese food ends up leading to polish delights!

BTW - if you ever get the chance to eat potstickers at Bright Pearl (Spadina Street) in Toronto go for it. Take some Pierogis for them to share and make a cultural event out of it. Excellent eats all around :rolleyes:

Thanks!

I knew I made the thread come around full circle from the little side-bar that Cheffy and I were having? :thumbsup:

Pierogi = Big ole Chinese potsticker...

I recently tried the plum pierogi and that was surprisingly good!

I'll take fried chicken made in a cast iron skillet by a little grey haired lady over Popeyes any day of the week though. :rolleyes:

You and me, both. Popeyes is fine for fast food chicken, but there is much better out there.

I can't believe how hard it is to find real southern fried chicken in my area. I have finally tracked some down, but I though it would have been much easier. And for those who want to drive the south for real southern cooking, I'd do it sooner, rather than later. There are still places, if you know where you are going, but the chains are taking over pretty fast.

Thanks!

I knew I made the thread come around full circle from the little side-bar that Cheffy and I were having? :rolleyes:

Pierogi = Big ole Chinese potsticker...

I recently tried the plum pierogi and that was surprisingly good!

Speaking of polish delights ... I really miss stuffed cabbage ... for whatever reason called "pigs in the blanket" by my non- polish family.

Even far above this I miss kielbasa - I mean really good kielbasa. I used to get some from an old world polish butcher when I lived up in Hamilton, ON. He would smoke it on Wednesday afternoons - stop by on the way home from work and it would come fresh out of the smoker still warm and ready to eat. Now that was good stuff.

I Tivo'd the show and watched it last night. Not at all what I was expecting but allowed me to have a good laugh at my poor wife's expense (she is from East Tennessee - Knoxville).

Given that it was Zimmern I should have known but I was not looking for squirrel, opossum, racoon etc. I laughed at my wife because I said now every one from other parts of the country will think that this stuff is what makes up everyday eats in Vol land :unsure::) . Not to mention - sadly some of the people from the hills just looked "off" - I'll leave it at that for fear of really offending someone with expanded thoughts.

I laughed my ass off - she was mad.