Joe Ferguson

This is true but Fergy had a very strong arm. And sometimes arm strength is the only way to get it to the receiver. I interviewed Vince Ferragamo after a Bills loss and he was very embarrassed that he was unable to hit open receivers on the deep out patterns. It was after a typically windy autumn day at Rich Stadium.

true Fergy had a good strong arm...but thats not all u need with wind and weather..Montana had an average arm but the ball got there

Joe Ferguson is one of my two favorite Bills players of all time. What keeps him from being remembered as one of the greats of his era, is a poor td/int ratio. He was kind of a "streak QB" if there is such a thing. He could play "in the zone" for a few games, and then just as easily be "out of the zone" the next. I would say he was more often good than bad, but the bad times (on some very bad Bills teams) seem to resonate with his detractors. Even when he was near the top in yardage and td passes (which he was frequently) his int rate was too high. His great contemporaries (Kenny Anderson, Ron Jaworski, Terry Bradshaw, Steve Bartkowski, Dan Fouts, Ken Stabler, etc) didn't have as many issues with ints'. Part of this was the weather Fergy played in, and the talent that surrounded him....all that said, I would rank the offensese that Ferguson led, during the Knox years, with Joe Cribbs, Jerry Butler, and Frank Lewis, just a notch below the early 90's offenses. And Joe Ferguson was awesome those years....

Why Fergy was a good quarterback, the thing i will always remember about him is you could tell when he lost confidence. He would hang his head when walking off field and sit and mope after a bad play or when something went wrong, and no matter what the score was, you knew they were going to loose because he wasnt the same qb anymore. Cowboys game when he lost his shoe and tried to make a throw from his knees that was picked off, comes to mind as one of the games. Bills where up by 2 touchdowns I think, and were driving when that happened, and game was pretty much over at that point as far as bills offense was concerned. He didnt do it every game, but 2-3 games every year it seemed he would loose his confidence and ability to move the team with it.

But when he was on, he was very good.

QFT - Fergy was the QB when I was growing up so I am slightly biased - but one of my most enduring memories as a Bills fan was going to one game as a kid (although I can't remember the opponent :nana: ) with a blistering wind at Rich stadium and Fergy just doing his thing - then he gets hurt late in the game and Marangi comes in - and proceeds to throw 3 or 4 balls that just are the lamest ducks in the world against the wind - that is when I really realized first hand what it meant/took to be a goood QB in Buffalo.

BTW - nothing compares in my history for Buffalo QB heroics than Fergy playing on one leg against SD and almost actually pulling it out - what an unbelievably gutsy performance - arguably one of the gutsiest ever.

That game made me a Bills fan for life. Drat you Joe Ferguson and your ballsy performance! :shakesfist:

Joe Ferguson is one of my two favorite Bills players of all time. What keeps him from being remembered as one of the greats of his era, is a poor td/int ratio. He was kind of a "streak QB" if there is such a thing. He could play "in the zone" for a few games, and then just as easily be "out of the zone" the next. I would say he was more often good than bad, but the bad times (on some very bad Bills teams) seem to resonate with his detractors. Even when he was near the top in yardage and td passes (which he was frequently) his int rate was too high. His great contemporaries (Kenny Anderson, Ron Jaworski, Terry Bradshaw, Steve Bartkowski, Dan Fouts, Ken Stabler, etc) didn't have as many issues with ints'. Part of this was the weather Fergy played in, and the talent that surrounded him....all that said, I would rank the offensese that Ferguson led, during the Knox years, with Joe Cribbs, Jerry Butler, and Frank Lewis, just a notch below the early 90's offenses. And Joe Ferguson was awesome those years....

yeah..gotta remember the oj ahmad rashad,wallace francis,jd hill,bobby chandler yrs...wow.

one more thing and question about fergie

People forget that Fergie played on the same very bad ankle during the 49er road game that clinched the division title in 1980

I remember that game just as much as the lost in San Diego during the playoff game maybe more so because we won.

In what game did Fergie sprain his ankle?