Michael Johnson very impressive

per rotoworld

Bengals rookie DE/OLB Michael Johnson revealed that he played through a sports hernia last season.

Johnson caught a lot flack for his inconsistent effort, but the injury played a part. The versatile Johnson was reportedly the best Bengals' defender during minicamp action, and he's expected to see plenty of playing time as a rookie pass rusher.

I know some people here wanted him, and if this injury is true, it could definitely explain his lack of effort. I just don't know why a player wouldn't let teams or the public know this information BEFORE the draft so that they could take that into account

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Johnson will likely be the best to come out of the DE crop this year if he puts the work in. He has an excellent coach in Marvin Lewis, IMO, that could help to mold him. I was hoping we would get him in the late 1st or 2nd rounds of the draft if we traded out of #11. Instead we get Maybin @ #11, passing on Brown and Johnson in the 2nd. I hope this works out for us, believe me I really do, but I think that Brown and Johnson are going to turn out to be better pros than Maybin. Say whatever you want, flame away, but this is just my opinion like the rest of you have yours.

I think that Johnson will likely be the best to come out of the DE crop this year if he puts the work in. He has an excellent coach in Marvin Lewis, IMO, that could help to mold him. I was hoping we would get him in the late 1st or 2nd rounds of the draft if we traded out of #11. Instead we get Maybin @ #11, passing on Brown and Johnson in the 2nd. I hope this works out for us, believe me I really do, but I think that Brown and Johnson are going to turn out to be better pros than Maybin. Say whatever you want, flame away, but this is just my opinion like the rest of you have yours.

I too really hope Maybin works out. I was happy with the pick listening to guys like McShay and Mayock saying his first step is top notch. I just worry about his size. Brown and especially Johnson, even Ayers, are much bigger and are NFL ready now. I wasn't sold on Orakpo, but I did like brown. Although I think Byrd will be a good player, we needed help up front. We could have moved Whitener to FS, where everyone says he is better suited. And could have taken Brown in addition to Maybin. Even if one didn't pan out, I can't imagine they would both be busts. Just my opinion. I hope Maybin is a beast and a great player for years to come, but we had opportunities to make our pass rush even better and I don't think we took advantage

I half agree. I really liked Michael Johnson's potential. If he can put on some weight to go with his height he'll be an impact player. I disagree with "Excellent coach Marvin Lewis" but nitpicking aside I think Michael Johnson and Keith Rivers who they drafted last year will be cornerstones for that defense for years to come.

the wrap on him is that he's a freak athlete but not a football player. I'm not surprised that he'd look amazing in what is basically non-contact drills without pads. He's certainly got all the potential in the world.

CIN's DC, Zimmer, hired from DAL last season likely agrees with you. Needs work. The chit-chat here is that he might be a swing man. He certainly will make their squad.

Zimmer has done a good job so far - out of the basement to #12 overall last season. He's working #2 Maualega at MLB, but him beating out Dhani Jones is a task. He will have to challenge Jeanty at OLB...tough job.

B'gals caught a good one in DT Pat Sims - Auburn at #3 last draft. He was nicked up early on, but when in the lineup, did well next to Peko. Peko was #2 in DT tackles last season, showing up to play after CIN re-did his contract for big bucks.

Keep an eye peeled for '08 #5 pick DT Jason Shirley from Fresno St., if he doesn't make the cut.

I half agree. I really liked Michael Johnson's potential. If he can put on some weight to go with his height he'll be an impact player. I disagree with "Excellent coach Marvin Lewis" but nitpicking aside I think Michael Johnson and Keith Rivers who they drafted last year will be cornerstones for that defense for years to come.

Yeah, I'm not sure if he's an excellent head coach, but I do believe he's an excellent defensive coach and Zimmer is pretty decent in his own right. He really hasn't had the players like he had when in B-more, but he's definitely racking up the talent now. I think he'll be good for Michael Johnson.

the wrap on him is that he's a freak athlete but not a football player. I'm not surprised that he'd look amazing in what is basically non-contact drills without pads. He's certainly got all the potential in the world.

Yep, Johnson is considered to be a workout warrior. And that's essentially what OTA's and minicamps are.

per rotoworld

Bengals rookie DE/OLB Michael Johnson revealed that he played through a sports hernia last season.Johnson caught a lot flack for his inconsistent effort, but the injury played a part. The versatile Johnson was reportedly the best Bengals' defender during minicamp action, and he's expected to see plenty of playing time as a rookie pass rusher.

I know some people here wanted him, and if this injury is true, it could definitely explain his lack of effort. I just don't know why a player wouldn't let teams or the public know this information BEFORE the draft so that they could take that into account

BS. Nobody finds it odd he didn't reveal this BEFORE the draft to increase his stock?

per rotoworld

Bengals rookie DE/OLB Michael Johnson revealed that he played through a sports hernia last season.

Johnson caught a lot flack for his inconsistent effort, but the injury played a part. The versatile Johnson was reportedly the best Bengals' defender during minicamp action, and he's expected to see plenty of playing time as a rookie pass rusher.

This isn't a knock on Johnson, in any way, but, "best in minicamp", is hardly a reason for a celebration or predictions, IMO.

This isn't a knock on Johnson, in any way, but, "best in minicamp", is hardly a reason for a celebration or predictions, IMO.

Why not? I thought "minicamp All-Pro" was a high honor and predictive of great things?

Wow, Michael Jonson is allready tearing it up in Cincy while Aaron "maybe Maybin will only be a 3rd down player for the bills.

Does a day go by when the bills dont disapoint?

Actually there are many. Unlike you, whose trollish posts so far have never disappointed.

I have no idea what happened to Marvin Lewis, but his defenses fell off a cliff in Cincy. By yardage, last year was his best season, and the team ranked 12th in the league, which is solid. The previous three years they were 27, 30, and 28. That's roughly on par with us.

BS. Nobody finds it odd he didn't reveal this BEFORE the draft to increase his stock?

Yeah i thought the same thing. Only thing i can think is his agent was trying to keep an injury quiet so teams would not think he was damaged goods. I watched a lot of Tech games this year. He did not really stand out all the much to me. Wish him well but he has a lot to prove. Maybe getting picke din the second will motivate him.