Bills ownership question.

It just reminds me and bothers me every time this topic comes up that Ralph wont get his affairs in order and set something up with a prospective local buyer- or maybe he has with Toronto, who knows.

Who says he hasn't tried and found no one credible yet?

The only person who has actually stepped up has been Kelly, and since he hasn't named his "investors" its not really crdible yet

I can't believe no one mentioned the Jacobs family or even the Lipkes. Jacobs is quite rich, and I am sure he would be happy to sell the Bruins, so that he can buy his hometown football team. There is more than enough money in Buffalo.

I believe the Jacobs will emerge as the owners. They have the money and they want to own an NFL team and they want the one in their hometown. Plus it fits naturally with their business. The Ralph will become Delaware North Stadium.

Whats going to be key in the Bills staying in Buffalo is the revenue sharing rules in the next CBA. One of the bigger issues in the next CBA is going to be revenue sharing. Bigger market teams want a bigger slice of the pie arguing that they are contributing more thus they should get more.

The Bills in Buffalo become more of a viable team if they are able to continue to get their share of Television and Radio contracts. If they change the rules than suddenly the Toronto Bills might be a reality.

Fortunately I think that there are enough billionaires and millionaires that have ties to the area that can make a group to buy the Bills once Ralph passes. I honestly think that Ralph should start thinking about preparing the sale of the Bills. If Ralph can get a group of local buyers to buy the team than why not at least have a deal in place for that unfortunate day.

I have mentioned the Jacobs in previous posts on this topic. Owner of Delaware North Company- Jeremy Sr still has a home in East Aurora. His son Jeremy Jr is very good friends with Jimbo and I always thought it was the Jacobs family who Kelly had lined up in his corner if and when the Bills would be for sale. With that being said even and Kelly with the financial support of the Jacobs family could not afford to get into a bidding war for the Bills. I personally believe a deal would need to be put into place prior to Ralph passing for this to happen.

It just reminds me and bothers me every time this topic comes up that Ralph wont get his affairs in order and set something up with a prospective local buyer- or maybe he has with Toronto, who knows.

This is what I can't figure out either. It really isn't that complicated. If Ralph really wanted to insure that the Bills stay in Buffalo after he dies, he should sell the team before he dies. That way, he has at least some control over who purchases the team. If for some reason (presumably financial) he wants to wait until after he dies for the team to actually be sold, it's possible something like that could be worked out. But the important thing is that everything would need to be in writing ahead of time. It's formal contract or nothing. "Working agreement" or "Agreement in principle" wouldn't be good enough, because once he's dead, there's very little incentive for those sorts of deals to be honored.

I'm pretty sure Ralph doesn't have to tell you, me, or anyone else about everything he does. No one knows other than Ralph and anyone who might be involved in a deal to buy the Bills whether Ralph's affairs are in order or not. Quite frankly, the rumor that came out a year and a half ago that Mary Wilson would get the team and then sell it to Kelly's group of investors makes sense and could be a fact for all we know. Saying that Ralph won't get his affairs in order in regards to the team is pretty ignorant to say the least.

This is what I can't figure out either. It really isn't that complicated. If Ralph really wanted to insure that the Bills stay in Buffalo after he dies, he should sell the team before he dies. That way, he has at least some control over who purchases the team. If for some reason (presumably financial) he wants to wait until after he dies for the team to actually be sold, it's possible something like that could be worked out. But the important thing is that everything would need to be in writing ahead of time. It's formal contract or nothing. "Working agreement" or "Agreement in principle" wouldn't be good enough, because once he's dead, there's very little incentive for those sorts of deals to be honored.

If he sells the team before his death, then he gets taxed on the sale of the team...and then his inheritors also pay taxes on the estate...double taxation

If the team is sold by his estate after his death, the sale is taxed once

What kind of fool would actually pay taxes twice on the same money when there's a way not to?

I believe the Jacobs will emerge as the owners. They have the money and they want to own an NFL team and they want the one in their hometown. Plus it fits naturally with their business. The Ralph will become Delaware North Stadium.

very logical. I see them and the Riches doing it together, unless Jacobs is able to sell the bruins, otherwise he can only be a minority shareholder in the team as per NFL rules. there is no reason to think they cant together put a 900mil bid in. Especially considering one of the Rich brothers is a pastor who inherited $1.5 billion. this is rarely mentioned, and I could not find much on Rev. David Rich online, other than he appears to be a minister considering he has a family and went to Virginia theological seminary. I know he was active in the Buffalo community for some time, but his name is rarely mentioned. I wonder if his inheritance is directly tied to the company then and not accessible. But keep your eye on that. He could very well be Kelly's "private" investor, since Jimbo's wife is a very strong Christian an active in the Buffalo community in terms of outreach and things.... all speculation... i know

I'm pretty sure Ralph doesn't have to tell you, me, or anyone else about everything he does. No one knows other than Ralph and anyone who might be involved in a deal to buy the Bills whether Ralph's affairs are in order or not. Quite frankly, the rumor that came out a year and a half ago that Mary Wilson would get the team and then sell it to Kelly's group of investors makes sense and could be a fact for all we know. Saying that Ralph won't get his affairs in order in regards to the team is pretty ignorant to say the least.

If he sells the team before his death, then he gets taxed on the sale of the team...and then his inheritors also pay taxes on the estate...double taxation

What kind of fool would actually pay taxes twice on the same money when there's a way not to?

guys with that kinda dough are not financial fools

there is an ownership group being put together in Nigeria as we speak. I got an email about it yesterday.

LMAO.

Aside from that, folks: The Gillettes (or however its spelled) sold the Canadiens because they needed quick cash to make a huge payment on debt they have related to their purchase of Liverpool Football Club in the EPL. They financed almost their entire purchase of LFC and were in danger of defaulting on their loans and becoming a going concern. Selling the Habs is a good, fast cash infusion.

One would actually have to be some kind of fool (or like Joe Robbie be foolish enough to think you will live forever when the truth is that nobody gets out of here alive) to actually undergo single taxation, much less double taxation when you die.

Witness our good friends Warren Buffet and Bill Gates who are rich enough to hire smart lawyers to help them play our tax laws like a song and simply use billions of dollars in their wealth in a tax free manner which allows them to do what they want to do and get worshipped by folks near and far.

Ralph seems to be in particularly good shape fiscally since even though he too will not get out of here alive his major direct heir conveniently died before he did.

It would actually be a relatively straight-forward matter for him to set up an irrevocable trust for a non-profit of his own making and totally escape any estate taxes on the Bills, This not for profit can easily be made to be legally "independent" but actually give a job for life at some extraordinary level of pay to whomever he wants his lawyers to designate as executors of his estate, trustees for life on the not-for-profit board or some other legal mechanism the smart lawyers figure out.

Sure the NFL if it chose could try to assert that it has rules now against a Green Bay Packer type ownership situation, but just as the NFL was rolled by the relative idiots of the Cleveland municipality so too would they almost certainly get rolled if they tried to take on Ralph's legal strategy if he decided to avoid estate taxes with this or some even more arcane tax dodge.

It is amusing that some folks seem to put so much stock in both government being incompetent but also government being all powerful.

My sense is that as always its the golden rule. He who has the gold rules and like other rich folk I have few doubts that the Ralph legal team can avoid estate taxes if they have half a brain.

One would actually have to be some kind of fool (or like Joe Robbie be foolish enough to think you will live forever when the truth is that nobody gets out of here alive) to actually undergo single taxation, much less double taxation when you die.

Witness our good friends Warren Buffet and Bill Gates who are rich enough to hire smart lawyers to help them play our tax laws like a song and simply use billions of dollars in their wealth in a tax free manner which allows them to do what they want to do and get worshipped by folks near and far.

Ralph seems to be in particularly good shape fiscally since even though he too will not get out of here alive his major direct heir conveniently died before he did.

It would actually be a relatively straight-forward matter for him to set up an irrevocable trust for a non-profit of his own making and totally escape any estate taxes on the Bills, This not for profit can easily be made to be legally "independent" but actually give a job for life at some extraordinary level of pay to whomever he wants his lawyers to designate as executors of his estate, trustees for life on the not-for-profit board or some other legal mechanism the smart lawyers figure out.

Sure the NFL if it chose could try to assert that it has rules now against a Green Bay Packer type ownership situation, but just as the NFL was rolled by the relative idiots of the Cleveland municipality so too would they almost certainly get rolled if they tried to take on Ralph's legal strategy if he decided to avoid estate taxes with this or some even more arcane tax dodge.

It is amusing that some folks seem to put so much stock in both government being incompetent but also government being all powerful.

My sense is that as always its the golden rule. He who has the gold rules and like other rich folk I have few doubts that the Ralph legal team can avoid estate taxes if they have half a brain.

Here's a host of examples of how it's been done...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2407875