Bernie Kosar top 10 QBs

Top 10 .... no way. Good guy, above average but no way is he a top 10. Think about it even among QB's who have played in my lifetime - not to mention "old timers" - I know old is relative (this list is not in order):

Joe Montana

Roger Staubach

Terry Bradshaw

Jim Kelly

John Elway

Dan Marino

Tom Brady* (Hate to admit it)

Dan Fouts

Fran Tarkington

Peyton Manning

Joe Namath

Steve Young

Phil Simms

Ken Stabler

Jim Plunkett

Bob Griese (hate to admit it)

Brett Faurve (in spite of his melodrama)

Troy Aikman (sucks to put him on this list)

Ken Anderson

Just to name a few that blow away Bernie Kosar. This is even before you get to the likes of Bart Star, Y.A. Tittle, John Unitas, Sammy Baugh, etc, etc. If you sat back and though about it no way does Kosar make the top 25 and maybe not even the top 50.

I would still put QB's like McNabb, Archie Manning and Warren Moon far ahead of Kosar

A lot of those guys on your list played before 1990. They should promptly be remove as they cannot be considered all-time greats, since they played before 1990. Bigger, stronger, faster and all that. [/tards]

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of those guys on your list played before 1990. They should promptly be remove as they cannot be considered all-time greats, since they played before 1990. Bigger, stronger, faster and all that. [/tards]

I actually believe if Archie manning wasn't stuck playing on such a shi77y team that he could have been one of the all time greats. Even better than both of his sons and that is saying a good bit.

Fran tarkington probably would not even make the league today because of "measurables" and he is certainly a top 20 QB of all time. He was the Flutie of the league before Flutie came around. The guy could just make plays.

I actually believe if Archie manning wasn't stuck playing on such a shi77y team that he could have been one of the all time greats. Even better than both of his sons and that is saying a good bit.

Fran tarkington probably would not even make the league today because of "measurables" and he is certainly a top 20 QB of all time. He was the Flutie of the league before Flutie came around. The guy could just make plays.

Kosar was close to the top 10 best QB during his era. These guys were better than him...and I'm sure I left a few people out but tried to pick guys who played during most of Kosar's Cleveland career.

Marino

Montana

Elway

Kelly

Esiason

Theisman

Simms

Moon

I was going to post this but I never got around to it.

I always put Bernie Kosar in my top 10 all time QB list. Just something about the guy. He had Joe Montana like qualities. Very accurate, aware, smart as hell.

Yahoo sports ran a little thing about him losing all those big games in college pro. Really the guy should have led Cleveland to two Super Bowls. Denver and Elway got lucky two out of those three times.

In the wake of his bankruptcy, his name is in the news and I didn't want this to get lost in the shuffle.

thats quite an admission..lol....-He was a darn good QB though....top 60-80 of all time maybe

Kosar was close to the top 10 best QB during his era. These guys were better than him...and I'm sure I left a few people out but tried to pick guys who played during most of Kosar's Cleveland career.

Marino

Montana

Elway

Kelly

Esiason

Theisman

Simms

Moon

Aikman

Young

Tarkenton was the athlete that Dougie was...but was a much much better QB than Doug.

Tarkenton was the athlete that Dougie was...but was a much much better QB than Doug.

But if Flutie was even Tarkenton's size, let alone a standard for the era....he may have been one of the best ever.

Poor Flutie is such a miserable SOB because he knows he has the tools to be a HOF but is just too darn small. I have never trusted a QB to make the right decision more than I did with Flutie. He was amazing at knowing when to run, pass, check down, audible.....you could just let him do his thing. Kelly was good but made some boneheaded decisions. Trent Edwards has me excited because he reminds me a lot of Flutie, but he has more passing tools. You should sit back, relax, and trust your QB at the helm of your team...not watch him like you are in the car with your 15 year old daughter at the wheel for the first time.

Last point on Kosar.....he was good value at QB. Nice player, not flashy, often left out of the conversation of top QBs, but for a reason.

Kosar was one of the best players of his era. He played several seasons seriously injured and was hampered by martyball, a poor supporting cast, and Belicheks ineptitude at coaching offenses early in his career. Testaverde was awful as a replacement for Kosar.

Bernie could put touch on deep passes like few other QBs in the nfl, and he threw very few interceptions during his career.

Kosar was one of the best players of his era. He played several seasons seriously injured and was hampered by martyball, a poor supporting cast, and Belicheks ineptitude at coaching offenses early in his career. Testaverde was awful as a replacement for Kosar.

Bernie could put touch on deep passes like few other QBs in the nfl, and he threw very few interceptions during his career.

I like Bernie. Seems like a good guy, and was a good QB.

Top 10 all time? C'mon. You aren't going there, are you?

Way cool pic...

Kelly looks like a goodfella there to remind Bernie about the DEAL he made.

Almost like James Caan in the movie THIEF

"Hey John, spot this Coiugar on the corner will ya??" :rolleyes:

This Mann film is so underrated it makes me sad.

Again, where are you guys getting this stuff that the Browns and Schottenheimer somehow held Kosar back? Look at my previous post for his record playing for Schottenheimer as opposed to after Schottenheimer left. And look up the numbers, all but one year they passed more than they ran, Marty was not holding them back.

Also, while he may not have had GREAT offensive talent around him, it was plenty good ... Kevin Mack made Pro Bowls ... Webster Slaughter, Ozzie Newsome, both Pro Bowlers .... the line was always solid and OT Cody Risien made Pro Bowls ... on defense Clay Matthews, Chip Banks, Minnifield and Dixon, all Pro Bowlers. Even Bob Golic made Pro Bowls, look it up ...

Point is, it is revisionist history to say Schottenheimer's teams sucked just because they lost in the playoffs. Those were very good teams that were just not quite good enough, just like Kosar. At best he was the FIFTH-best QB in the AFC behind Kelly, Elway, Marino and Moon (and some might make a case for Boomer some years) ... the NFC had Montana and Simms early in his career and then added Aikman and Young ... Kosar was barely top 10 at any given point let alone of all time. Was Randall Cunningham one of the best ever? Dave Kreig? Mark Rypien? because those guys were all pretty similar to Kosar at that time in terms of numbers, Pro Bowls and winning. No one has come up with anytyhing yet that sets Kosar apart.

But if Flutie was even Tarkenton's size, let alone a standard for the era....he may have been one of the best ever.

Poor Flutie is such a miserable SOB because he knows he has the tools to be a HOF but is just too darn small. I have never trusted a QB to make the right decision more than I did with Flutie. He was amazing at knowing when to run, pass, check down, audible.....you could just let him do his thing. Kelly was good but made some boneheaded decisions. Trent Edwards has me excited because he reminds me a lot of Flutie, but he has more passing tools. You should sit back, relax, and trust your QB at the helm of your team...not watch him like you are in the car with your 15 year old daughter at the wheel for the first time.

Last point on Kosar.....he was good value at QB. Nice player, not flashy, often left out of the conversation of top QBs, but for a reason.

uhmm...I am a big Flutie supporter. But I don't necessarily think that his main problem at QB was his size. I rate Flutie as a GREAT athlete and a very good QB....-but his faults really were in some of his judgements on the field and his inconsistent passing accuracy. Tarkenton --a great athlete of nearly the caliber of Flutie-- was the better QB because of passing accuracy and other intangibles. I doubt Tark was 5 10.-so he was maybe an inch and a half taller than Flutie.