Best all time drummer poll-kind of.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The list begins with John Henry "Bonzo" Bonham and continues from there.

Moby Dick.

Totally agree. You might as well end it there too, because no one else comes close.

However, if I had to think of a dark horse for second, it would be Chad Sexton from 311. Great fills, hits the perfect snare, can keep off-time beats at any tempo, and does a good drum solo if he keeps it under 2 minutes.

Here are a few that I think have not been mentioned:

Gene Krupa, Tony Williams, Vinnie Colaiuta, Jeff Porcaro, Elvin Jones, Terry Bozzio...to name a few.

I found guys like Moon, Carl Palmer (when he wasn't smashing the gongs) and Ginger Baker pretty interesting, too.

I'd add Ansley Dunbar to the list, although he may not have the chops of some of these other guys.

Most underrated rock drummer? No contest, IMO, it is Bobby Caldwell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNpYtlFhtts...feature=channel

Best young drummer? Keith Carlock. "Keith won three categories in Modern Drummer's 2009 poll: Best All-Around, Best Pop Drummer and Best Fusion Drummer. Keith was also a runner-up in the Studio voting and finished in the money with a #3 Best Recorded Performance for Walter Becker's "Circus Money." http://www.keithcarlock.com/news.htm Carlock's real strength, IMO, is his versatility. Check out his chops with a this trio:

Bonzo all the way....the list must start with him at the top with the already mentioned others filling in below...

I did like to see Ansley Dunbar get mentioned

I would like to toss these guys in to the discussion

Joey Jordinson is just rediculous - how has he not been mentioned?

Lars does a good job even though he is an asshat who is against free music

Tommy Lee

Dirk Verbeuren of soilwork....not sure if you actually were joking but Richard Christy, really was an amazing drummer, anyone that can do death metal is up there. And He was the drummer for one of the greatest death metal bands, Death

IMO, a "GREAT" drummer needs to be versatile (play across styles), keep metronomic time when it is called for, read music, understand and be willing to play a complementary role, master the rudiments...and bring something extra to the situation that defines his sound. Lot's of very good drummers can't play a decent shuffle. Some can't read music. Many are selfish and can't, or refuse to, do what the band leader wants to be played, in any given situation.

When I was in grade school, I took drum lessons from Joe Calato, who was a friend of my Dad. Joe was the inventor of the "Regal Tip" (nylon tipped) drum stick, and is the owner of Regal Tip drumstick factory in Niagara Falls.

http://www.regaltip.com/rt_history_new.html

I did fine with rudiments, and kept decent time. But I was far from a great drummer. It was hard for me to practice on the full set (complaints from my parents) and there is only so much you can do on the pad (no synth drums back then). More disturbing was, one of my best friends was a MONSTER drummer, and it was embarrassing to even think of myself as a drummer after hearing him play. I moved on at an early age.

Anyway...if you take all the factors into consideration, Vinnie Colaitua has to be considered one of the great drummers currently working. This Modern Drummer article/interview gives a pretty good overview of his talents. If you are a Zappa fan, it is a must read:

http://www.vinniecolaiuta.com/articles/moderndrummer82.aspx

There are currently a lot of great drummers. My question is, do any of them know how to play brushes? A great drummer should be a master of the brushes, too, IMO.

IMO, a "GREAT" drummer needs to be versatile (play across styles), keep metronomic time when it is called for, read music, understand and be willing to play a complementary role, master the rudiments...and bring something extra to the situation that defines his sound. Lot's of very good drummers can't play a decent shuffle. Some can't read music. Many are selfish and can't, or refuse to, do what the band leader wants to be played, in any given situation.

When I was in grade school, I took drum lessons from Joe Calato, who was a friend of my Dad. Joe was the inventor of the "Regal Tip" (nylon tipped) drum stick, and is the owner of Regal Tip drumstick factory in Niagara Falls.

http://www.regaltip.com/rt_history_new.html

I did fine with rudiments, and kept decent time. But I was far from a great drummer. It was hard for me to practice on the full set (complaints from my parents) and there is only so much you can do on the pad (no synth drums back then). More disturbing was, one of my best friends was a MONSTER drummer, and it was embarrassing to even think of myself as a drummer after hearing him play. I moved on at an early age.

Anyway...if you take all the factors into consideration, Vinnie Colaitua has to be considered one of the great drummers currently working. This Modern Drummer article/interview gives a pretty good overview of his talents. If you are a Zappa fan, it is a must read:

http://www.vinniecolaiuta.com/articles/moderndrummer82.aspx

There are currently a lot of great drummers. My question is, do any of them know how to play brushes? A great drummer should be a master of the brushes, too, IMO.

Somebody has to say it Dean... It mine as well be me:

You are so stuck up.

:doh::doh:

Somebody has to say it Dean... It mine as well be me:

You are so stuck up.

:doh::doh:

I'm a culture snob, but I don't think I am stuck up. What in that post leads you to believe I am stuck up. I even admitted I couldn't make it as a drummer.

I just joking... Don't take it serious... You said it better by saying "culture snob." Your post was right on! :doh::doh:

Huge culture snob. I admit it. I have high standards.

Now, if I was actually good, I'd likely be very stuck up, too. :w00t: