Military members past and present

MarkAF43

So, I am bored and just thought I would see how many members of the wall have served in the military. How long were you in, what branch, and anything else you want to add ( did you enjoy it, why did you get out... etc) nothing formal, just trying to change things up a bit, and no I am not a recruiter.... :thumbsup:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still serving. Joined in 1988. Started as a Private First Class and have reached the rank of CWO3 (so far). I've loved it. There have been times that I've been ready to call it quits but overall I am very proud of the things I've done in the Marine Corps. Not sure how much longer I'll stay in because the separations from family are getting a little tough, but it's nice to be in a position to move on with a retirement check at any time. :thumbsup: The military has been very good to me and my family though. Wouldn't trade the last 21+ years for anything.

Joined the Navy in Feb 1979...was stationed on the USS America CV-66, NAS Pensacola, USS Spiegel Grove LSD-32, Fleet Training Group GTMO, Naval Guided Missile School Dam Neck Va, USS Ponce LPD-15, Shore Intermediate Maintenance Facility Norfolk Va, Retired in Mar 1999 with 20+ years as a Chief Machinist Mate (SW).

Sometimes I really hated it, but now I wouldn't change a thing! One day I was a young sailor the next thing I knew I was 39 years old and collecting a pension for the rest of my life. Pays both the mortgage and :thumbsup: !

I did two hitches in the Air Force. I was in the PA career field. Got to see Texas (BMT), Indiana (Tech School), back to Texas (Randolph AFB), short stops in Gitmo, Panama, Saudi Arabia and finished up in Colorado (USAFA). Learned more in those 8 years than I did in 14 plus years of school. Dont' regret a single thing about enlisting.

I did two hitches in the Air Force. I was in the PA career field. Got to see Texas (BMT), Indiana (Tech School), back to Texas (Randolph AFB), short stops in Gitmo, Panama, Saudi Arabia and finished up in Colorado (USAFA). Learned more in those 8 years than I did in 14 plus years of school. Dont' regret a single thing about enlisting.

While you were in Texas did you ever have the unfortunate opportunity to see GoodFellow AFB? I spent 6 months there, San Angelo talk about a depressing town!

Did anyone feel that their head start in life was stunted by going into the military (or any branch)? i.e.. they were starting their careers a lot older than others, family, money?

Nope not at all. But thats probably because I retired here and jumped right into a job working for the Navy doing what I love to do which is teaching sailors.

Did anyone feel that their head start in life was stunted by going into the military (or any branch)? i.e.. they were starting their careers a lot older than others, family, money?

No exact opposite. When I got out, I knew so much more than the kids coming out of college a couple years earlier. I was the boss coming out at 24. It actually put me further ahead than if I had gone to college.

Nope not at all. But thats probably because I retired here and jumped right into a job working for the Navy doing what I love to do which is teaching sailors.

My girlfriend's younger brother is in the Cost Guard Academy. He's there for... I think 8 years required. He can't go home during the summer, or most times of the year to see family. They tell him when to go home. He does earn a nice salary while sitting in the classroom, but he'll always be bouncing around wherever they station him around the US, which I just view as impossible to find a wife or start a family. They pretty much run his life, but pay him for doing so. I just can't help but think he won't be sharing the same life experiences that the every day civilian shares. I think it's great from the standpoint of money, as they take care of him financially from not only going to school for free, but paying him a salary for going. And I'm sure they pay for things (like the rest of you have all said) to set him up for life, but I just don't know if the expense of your life is worth it. It seems like you all got in, got out, and were compensated. But this kid will probably be involved there for the rest of his life.

Anyone have a different perspective? I don't really know what its like, so am I making it out to be worse than it really is?

Well, throwing in my info since I started the thread, working on my 6th yr in the AF Reserve, been deployed once, never went active duty (except for the deployment), seen some cool things and it sure has made me a better person and helped kickstart my life in the right direction

My girlfriend's younger brother is in the Cost Guard Academy. He's there for... I think 8 years required. He can't go home during the summer, or most times of the year to see family. They tell him when to go home. He does earn a nice salary while sitting in the classroom, but he'll always be bouncing around wherever they station him around the US, which I just view as impossible to find a wife or start a family. They pretty much run his life, but pay him for doing so. I just can't help but think he won't be sharing the same life experiences that the every day civilian shares. I think it's great from the standpoint of money, as they take care of him financially from not only going to school for free, but paying him a salary for going. And I'm sure they pay for things (like the rest of you have all said) to set him up for life, but I just don't know if the expense of your life is worth it. It seems like you all got in, got out, and were compensated. But this kid will probably be involved there for the rest of his life.

Anyone have a different perspective? I don't really know what its like, so am I making it out to be worse than it really is?

if he is in the coast guard academy i am assuming he is working towards being a comissioned officer (i admit i dont know much about the USCG). if that is the case he is going through intensive training but what he is learning now will put him so far ahead of his civilian counterparts you wouldn't believe it. when he is done with his commitment (assuming he gets out at the first chance) and enters the civilan job market he will have more experience than 99.9% of his peers and will be in demand, but odds are, he will say in for 20+

and that whole thing about having a "normal" lifestyle, right now he is in a "military training" enviornment which takes up his life, but once he completes that and gets to his duty station he will be able to have his free time and lead a normal life outside of work and date/marry raise a family or whatever

just my .02cents