How Good is the Bills Secondary ?

Kenwick

If the Bills carry 5 CBs and 5 safties as they did last year are they going to be better than last year?

McGee really is solid at one CB position. McKelvin has the capability or will have of being a shut down corner. I do not think he is there yet. Youboty, Florence & Corner are all strong defenders at CB.

The Safeties look stronger with the addition of Byrd. Bills would not have picked him in the 2nd round if they did not think so and he most likely will be good once he gets his feet wet. Whitner is very versitile being able to play FS, SS and Corner.

He can also play the nickel D. Scott is coming on strong. Wendling is great on Special teams and Simpson or Wilson will round out the secondary.

What I like about this years Secondary is its versitility... Eventually Scott and Byrd could be our safeties. McGee is a solid pick for one CB position. Whitner, Florence and McKelvin are all good cornerback with Youboty and Corner who is coming on strong in OTAs looking good at the Nickel...

I believe with the improvement of the Defensive Line, it will help make this secondary unit better than last season.

Do You?

Well i think that they have a very good group this year. We lost Greer but we have a guy in McKelvin that can step in and provide more or at least approximate the production we got from Greer. As far as safety we have Whitner at strong safety and either Ko, Byrd, or Scott at free safety. I would like to see Byrd at safety due to the fact that he has the coverage ability of a corner (duh were he played in college) but is a hawk when the ball is in the air which is something a good safety needs.

So is a secondary of McGee, McKelvin, Whitner, and Byrd better than last years i would say that on paper they are about the same but with potential to be much better. As far as depth we have some, Scott and Simpson are quality backups at safety. Florance, Corner, Youboty are decent nickel backs and can fill in for a game or two but no real long term depth.

So the starters have potential to be better. and the depth is worse due to the fact that unlike last year there is no long term depth thanks to the loss of Greer. I say it could be better but if we get a serious injury to either starting corner than it will be worse.

Simply the starters can be a lot better but if an injury hits we could be worse. Also the big if is will Schobel and Maybin help the pass rush and put less pressure on the secondary.

If the Bills carry 5 CBs and 5 safties as they did last year are they going to be better than last year?

McGee really is solid at one CB position. McKelvin has the capability or will have of being a shut down corner. I do not think he is there yet. Youboty, Florence & Corner are all strong defenders at CB.

The Safeties look stronger with the addition of Byrd. Bills would not have picked him in the 2nd round if they did not think so and he most likely will be good once he gets his feet wet. Whitner is very versitile being able to play FS, SS and Corner.

He can also play the nickel D. Scott is coming on strong. Wendling is great on Special teams and Simpson or Wilson will round out the secondary.

What I like about this years Secondary is its versitility... Eventually Scott and Byrd could be our safeties. McGee is a solid pick for one CB position. Whitner, Florence and McKelvin are all good cornerback with Youboty and Corner who is coming on strong in OTAs looking good at the Nickel...

I believe with the improvement of the Defensive Line, it will help make this secondary unit better than last season.

Do You?

what does it matter??

Dick will still play the CBs 10 yards off the ball and not give them a chance to make plays.

The safeties will be in another zip code.

Spending premium picks on press CBs is a waste of resources when they will be buried in a soft zone.

It is very hard to say how good they are. Jauron plays them 2 states away from the line of scrimage, and last year there was virtually no pass rush. Backs can't cover receivers for an unlimited period of time; these guys are professionals.

Whitner, although strikingly under productive for a first round pick let alone a #8, goes all out and has some talent. McKelvin certainly has a shot to be a good corner with that speed. MaGee is pretty good and now we have yet another blue chip draft choice in Byrd.

A case could be made that they are a fairly good secondary. One could also claim that the results fall far short of the valuable draft picks that Levy'Jauron wasted on them. They have a lot to prove before I gush over them but again, they are not in a position to excel or even make plays in this dumb Jauron defense.

It seems as if our dear coach can find a way to screw anything up and simply lose.