Jay Riemersma to consider run for Congress

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish well anyone who decides to run for office. I looked up MI-2, it is in the Western area of the state, with a nearly 90% white population as of 2000. It is one of the 160 or so that can be likely considered safe Republican. In other words, it is so conservative that it is a "Limbaugh district." That said, when it comes to discussing Christians, Jay would be wise not to follow the lead of former Rep. Virgil Goode of Virginia.

He was the one who criticized Minnesota Rep. Keith Ellison for wanting to take the oath on the Qur'an; and was also a supporter of restricting immigration from non-European countries. Simply put, in some cases, appealing to a hardcore religious base works. But in a country, that is, thank God, Yahweh, Allah, Ganesha, Vishnu, etc. that is growing in diversity, I would hope that all elected officials would appeal to common threads of all faiths, and to those who choose not to worship, rather than espousing one faith. I attend both Catholic and Hindu (the faith that Rev. Lovejoy from the Simpsons called miscellaneous) services.

It's vain hope, I know, especially with Limbaugh's acolytes and reverse racist ministers like Wright out there, but one can always dream of a day when we respect everyone, and stop throwing around disparaging remarks, of there is no shortage for our President these days.

Yeah, we need less religion in everything. Look how good its working in the schools.

But don't you really mean Christianity and not religion? You will have your wish soon enough. When Israel goes down you'll wish you could go back in time and change your mind.

No, I mean less religion in general, not any specific, and I'm speaking as a Christian. And what does Israel have to do with religion in the U.S. gov't?

No, I mean less religion in general, not any specific, and I'm speaking as a Christian. And what does Israel have to do with religion in the U.S. gov't?

Seriously? You don't know? And you're a Christian? Not being smart, asking seriously. You don't know how Israel and Christianity in our Government are connected?

Your fear is only beginning as people like you hope Christianity dissolves from this country. You will wish we were here for you shortly.

Okay. Let's play your game. Let's say tomorrow Obama declares Christianity to be the official religion of the USA. Oh happy day, until the various Christian sects start wrangling over WHICH brand of Christianity will rule.

Baptists? Lutherans? How about the ones who handle snakes? You do realize that in the eyes of Roman Catholics all you Protestants are heretics? Yes, it will be a glorious day when the USA embraces Chritianity as it's official religion.

I'm not anti-religion. I'm anti-sticking-your-religion-into-my-life. We don't need extremism in any form.

PTR

Okay. Let's play your game. Let's say tomorrow Obama declares Christianity to be the official religion of the USA. Oh happy day, until the various Christian sects start wrangling over WHICH brand of Christianity will rule.

Baptists? Lutherans? How about the ones who handle snakes? You do realize that in the eyes of Roman Catholics all you Protestants are heretics? Yes, it will be a glorious day when the USA embraces Chritianity as it's official religion.

I'm not anti-religion. I'm anti-sticking-your-religion-into-my-life. We don't need extremism in any form.

PTR

Yeah, but he's not actually doing that.

Yeah, but he's not actually doing that.

No but Jay R. and similar politicians are. How would you feel if someone ran for office promising to institute Sharia Law?

In Matthew 22:21, Jesus says “Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s” I agree. Let's keep religion and politics seperate.

PTR

No but Jay R. and similar politicians are. How would you feel if someone ran for office promising to institute Sharia Law?

In Matthew 22:21, Jesus says “Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s” I agree. Let's keep religion and politics seperate.

PTR

Maybe there's more to this than I've read, but I don't see where asking christians to vote with their principles is trying to institue any kind of law. While I'm not religous, I think voting based on your beliefs instead of strictly down party lines or for the most popular candidate is the better way to go. But again, I've only read the link provided, maybe there's more.

Maybe there's more to this than I've read, but I don't see where asking christians to vote with their principles is trying to institue any kind of law. While I'm not religous, I think voting based on your beliefs instead of strictly down party lines or for the most popular candidate is the better way to go. But again, I've only read the link provided, maybe there's more.

Agreed. Anyone making any decisions would rely on their experience and upbringing, religious or otherwise. But you have to admit when someone running for office uses his religious affiliation as a campaign platform and promises to inject said religion into governance that's when the line is crossed.

PTR

Agreed. Anyone making any decisions would rely on their experience and upbringing, religious or otherwise. But you have to admit when someone running for office uses his religious affiliation as a campaign platform and promises to inject said religion into governance that's when the line is crossed.

PTR

I appreciate what you're saying, but what if the ramifications of taking Christianity out of our government results in us turning our backs on Israel? The only reason why we protect Israel now, is that our foundational beliefs are that the Christian God mandated Israel be protected.

You do realize that the world is waiting on our response to Israel being threatened by Iran don't you? Once we decide to turn our backs on Israel (which we will), the world will recognize that and unite against Israel. Do I need to go further on that point?

Then you will have your line back that was crossed by your so called separation of God from our Government. But you will wish that line didn't exist.

There are millions of Muslims moving into this country each year. Far more of a problem than the distraction of illegal's.

Then when with a Government controlled country that we will live in when they have full control of the banks (money), all kinds of industry (jobs), health care etc. and no Christian influences in Government to stop any of it. The predicted demise of the United States will begin.

And you want Christians (or as you say "religion") out of Government, well you will have it. Brush up on your Arabic.

I appreciate what you're saying, but what if the ramifications of taking Christianity out of our government results in us turning our backs on Israel? The only reason why we protect Israel now, is that our foundational beliefs are that the Christian God mandated Israel be protected.

You do realize that the world is waiting on our response to Israel being threatened by Iran don't you? Once we decide to turn our backs on Israel (which we will), the world will recognize that and unite against Israel. Do I need to go further on that point?

Then you will have your line back that was crossed by your so called separation of God from our Government. But you will wish that line didn't exist.

There are millions of Muslims moving into this country each year. Far more of a problem than the distraction of illegal's.

Then when with a Government controlled country that we will live in when they have full control of the banks (money), all kinds of industry (jobs), health care etc. and no Christian influences in Government to stop any of it. The predicted demise of the United States will begin.

And you want Christians (or as you say "religion") out of Government, well you will have it. Brush up on your Arabic.

Your words reveal you to be someone I am very frightened of. You are not very different from the Muslim extremists we are fighting. I wonder what God would say to you in judgement after you and your fellow zealots destroy his beautiful creation? You are a misguided soul.

PTR

Your words reveal you to be someone I am very frightened of. You are not very different from the Muslim extremists we are fighting. I wonder what God would say to you in judgement after you and your fellow zealots destroy his beautiful creation? You are a misguided soul.

PTR

Besides the killing of random innocent people, i can sure see the similarities!

Besides the killing of random innocent people, i can sure see the similarities!

Yeah, christian led governments never killed innocent civilians. :thumbsup:

And Israel was merely dropping snow showers on random Palestinians and not white phosphorus.

BTW. All religions, races and creeds have their fair share of extremist a-holes that ruin things for the rest of us.