Could SB victory keep Bills in Buffalo?

I was just reading a post which included a lot of comments from old school Bills fans, who've seen them play through the seventies and eighties. I got to thinking that Ralph, when looking over the entire history of his franchise, has seen success in the beginning - when they won the back to back championships and their entire defense was voted into the probowl, and then a few seasons before the run in the nineties, and then that four year stretch. So, he's got an overview of fifty years or so, where his team has gone from terrible to elite, but in spans of like ten years. Now, we're coming up on another peak, in terms of years without success, and considering his age, he should be looking to cap off his life's work with a SB victory. If that happened, I wonder, would that affect our chances of keeping the Bills in Buffalo? I'm not sure about what would be involved when he dies, but it's going to happen with the next decade, you'd think. It just seems like it'd be a lot harder to move a team coming off great success, than one that has been average. So, does that at all have an affect on things?

How on earth would winning the Super Bowl change the economics of WNY? If anything the Bills would be that much more attractive to out-of-town interests.

PTR

I agree with you that the economics of WNY is what it is. A Bills SB victory won't change that significantly. Some politicians need to be hung in Lafayette Square and in Albany and taxes rolled back to attract business again and a SB victory won't change that one way or another.

That said, I can see how a SB victory could increase pressure on people (or more likely, GROUPS of people -- i.e. Jim Kelly and his alleged group of interested buyers) to step up and get something done. Ultimately, it's a free market and unless Ralph sells the team now, once the bidding starts the folks with Buffalo's interests at heart may not have what it takes to keep the franchise here, but I can see how a SB victory would certainly make them give it their all and go down swinging.

It's inevitable the Bills are moving to Barrows, Alaska... they'll play the 2012 season there

and President Palin will hand over the Obama Trophy to the victorious Barrows Bills, so named when the NFL was nationalized in early 2011 because really, there was nothing else left to take over. Plus, it was already in the name, making it easy for former Vice President Biden to remember.

....and considering his age, he should be looking to cap off his life's work with a SB victory. If that happened, I wonder, would that affect our chances of keeping the Bills in Buffalo?....

No. Winning a SB did not keep the Frontierre family from putting the Rams franchise up for sale, and winning a SB before Wilson dies won't prevent his family from selling the team after he finally passes away. Why would it? And after the team is sold, even if it is to the Jim Kelly group, (if it really exists), will winning a SB help Western New York build a new stadium in Niagara Falls, or will it increase the income of the fans enough to afford PSL's and more expensive premium seating the new ownership group will be forced to charge? I don't think so. :lol:

and President Palin will hand over the Obama Trophy to the victorious Barrows Bills, so named when the NFL was nationalized in early 2011 because really, there was nothing else left to take over. Plus, it was already in the name, making it easy for former Vice President Biden to remember.

:lol: The Obama trophy will probably go to the NBA, but that was great.

I was just reading a post which included a lot of comments from old school Bills fans, who've seen them play through the seventies and eighties. I got to thinking that Ralph, when looking over the entire history of his franchise, has seen success in the beginning - when they won the back to back championships and their entire defense was voted into the probowl, and then a few seasons before the run in the nineties, and then that four year stretch. So, he's got an overview of fifty years or so, where his team has gone from terrible to elite, but in spans of like ten years. Now, we're coming up on another peak, in terms of years without success, and considering his age, he should be looking to cap off his life's work with a SB victory. If that happened, I wonder, would that affect our chances of keeping the Bills in Buffalo? I'm not sure about what would be involved when he dies, but it's going to happen with the next decade, you'd think. It just seems like it'd be a lot harder to move a team coming off great success, than one that has been average. So, does that at all have an affect on things?

Did you just finish watching the movie Major League?

So could a spaceship landing the middle of Ralph Wilson Stadium, about as likely. Seriously though, winning 5 Superbowls won't improve the economy in Buffalo or the surrounding areas. The reason the Bills ever would leave wouldn't be because they don't have good fans and alot of them, just not enough money being made.

If buffalo wins a super bowl I don't care why happens to the team. I plan on suffering a massive heart attack when the Lombardi trophy gets raised.

I'll die with a smile on my face. It's almost all I ever wanted, to see the Bills win just one Super Bowl. I could then die a happy man.