Greg Ellis could help

As we continue to look for an outside linebacker I am wondering if Greg Ellis, recently cut by the BOYS could be an option for us? What do you all think?

Yep - he could help. If at age 34, he's out of gas, training camp will show that. Somebody previously posted that his guaranteed money - 1.5 million - is on DAL's books.

I think he's a DE, though.

Yep - he could help. If at age 34, he's out of gas, training camp will show that. Somebody previously posted that his guaranteed money - 1.5 million - is on DAL's books.

I think he's a DE, though.

The problem is, several teams will be bidding for his services, and I doubt Buffalo is high on his list. So that means paying him a lot, and thus seeing if he's out of gas during training camp isn't a smart idea.

The problem is, several teams will be bidding for his services, and I doubt Buffalo is high on his list. So that means paying him a lot, and thus seeing if he's out of gas during training camp isn't a smart idea.

Maybe TO can help recruit. Buffalo can become the land of underachieving Cowboy castoffs. :devil:

Maybe TO can help recruit. Buffalo can become the land of underachieving Cowboy castoffs. :devil:

Ellis has averaged about 8 sacks a year over the past decade. That's hardly "underachieving." And if you were talking about TO...

"Ellis has averaged about 8 sacks a year over the past decade. That's hardly "underachieving."."

Where have I recently read that?... :devil:

"Ellis has averaged about 8 sacks a year over the past decade. That's hardly "underachieving."."

Where have I recently read that?... :devil:

Given your sarcasm, I'll assume that you posted that fact. I didn't see that post, and instead looked up his stats on NFL.com myself.

Given your sarcasm, I'll assume that you posted that fact. I didn't see that post, and instead looked up his stats on NFL.com myself.

Please read your post #7 of this thread...

You posted it - why are you asking me where I got it from...or whatever it is you are saying now? :devil:

Admit your fault and move on. That's what I try to do when I drink. B-)

Please read your post #7 of this thread...

You posted it - why are you asking me where I got it from...or whatever it is you are saying now? ;)

Admit your fault and move on. That's what I try to do when I drink. :beer:

Punch.

As we continue to look for an outside linebacker I am wondering if Greg Ellis, recently cut by the BOYS could be an option for us? What do you all think?

Ellis was casted off because he was a liability in coverage much like Roy Williams was. In a division with westbrook, portis, and the giants crew, he was a liability. He should have never moved to LB though because he does not have the hips for coverage. A move back to end, could allow for another 2-3 solid years for him! Him on one side and Schobel on the other using maybin and ellis for relief would not be a bad setup at all.

What to do with kelsay then?

Has anyone thought of the option of letting Maybim play OLB and letting Greg Ellis be the pass rushing DE. This way Maybin can play a position at his natural weight. Maybin is also a gifted enough athlete to make the transition to OLB. If OBD is willing to transform college CB/LB to safety why not try Maybin at OLB.

Has anyone thought of the option of letting Maybim play OLB and letting Greg Ellis be the pass rushing DE. This way Maybin can play a position at his natural weight. Maybin is also a gifted enough athlete to make the transition to OLB. If OBD is willing to transform college CB/LB to safety why not try Maybin at OLB.

Do you want Maybin attacking the quarterback, or dropping 10 yards into coverage?

Guest dog14787
Ellis was casted off because he was a liability in coverage much like Roy Williams was. In a division with westbrook, portis, and the giants crew, he was a liability. He should have never moved to LB though because he does not have the hips for coverage. A move back to end, could allow for another 2-3 solid years for him! Him on one side and Schobel on the other using maybin and ellis for relief would not be a bad setup at all.

What to do with kelsay then?

I couldn't agree more, besides we need some good quality depth at DE and Greg Ellis gives us a versatile, experienced player that would really help shore up our overall pass rush capabilities.

Ellis would be a DE in a 4-3 scheme, the same position he played before the Cowboys switched to a 3-4 and moved him to OLB...