Jaws: Edwards is going to be a tremendous NFL quarterback

Why do you enjoy being so negative about everything the Bills do??? Is that how believe you are supposed to be as a fan? My god it has been 5 months since last season ended. Sure we haven't made the playoffs in many years, but are you so miserable with the team that you refuse to find anything positive out of the offseason? My God, every season hope springs eternal. That is what is AWESOME about rooting for the team. As long as someone as cool as Jim Kelly loves the Bills and is a fixture in his association with the team, I am right alongside him in my support. Until we suck it up again, I am always going to think that THIS is our year. And if you can't get excited about having one of the greatest receivers of all time running routes for us, with the show he is going to bring, than dude it is time for you to go root for another team.

I am curious, were you a fan during the Super Bowl years? Anyone who was a huge fan than, and got so much enjoyment out of those teams, should never give up their loyalty to the current teams. For all the joy they gave us, we owe it to the franchise to never turn our backs on them. I will ALWAYS be a huge fan. Sure I will be upset about losses. But they are still my team. So find some of the love, or go root for the Texans.

ok ok,. Lets hope the new guys can keep Trent upright and he can be a great QB, he showed that prior to the concussion last year. Is my point.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know if it was Jaws, but I definitely know shawn salsibury said that.

We have to ignore anyone at ESPN giving praise to JP. They were all just really praising TD. Anyone at ESPN who now praises Edwards is doing it more legit reasons.

Their offensive line wasn't THAT bad last year. Run blocking was often times poor... pass blocking was still above average.

No way! They gave up way to many sacks to be considered "above average" in pass protection. Also, when you are the heaviest O-line in the NFL, I would hope you can at least run block... 4+ ypc is not terrible but a lot of that work was done by Beast Mode after the first hit...

Guest dog14787

Note: It seems my previous posts bragging about TE having the best completion percentage in the league is inaccurate, TE ranked 6th,

1) Chad Pennington 67.4% and is a big reason why Miami won the division

2) Kurt Warner 67.1%

3) Peyton Manning 66.8%

4) Matt Schaub 66.1%

5) Brett Favre 65.7% (surprised me a little)

6) Trent Edwards 65.5%

TE may have been leading the league in completion percentage at some point during the season, but not at seasons end.

The best completion percentage record ever was set by Ken Anderson in 1982 while playing for the Bengals, the record stands at 70.6%, however the season was shortened that year due to a strike with only 9 games played.

Being a smart guy and having potential is great, but at some point he's got to

1) stay healthy

2) produce

Until that happens, I'm not feeling the love affair. In another year or two he could be a backup someplace else if things don't work out

It is true that, like Sam Wyche, Jaws did like JP very much when he entered the league. His combination of arm strength and mobility was very enticing. However, I think it became obvious to even casual observers that JP was simply not ever going to get any better. He just didn't get "it". The hope is that TE will continue to get better the more he plays.

No he said JP has a chance to be a very good player.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2006/jaws-ii

Not exactly a ringing endorsement, especially when you're actually getting paid to work with the guy.

Your link is from two years after JP was drafted, and there's a difference from what Jaws said about JP back in 2004.

Here, Jaws says of JP, "from the waist up, he's as good as it gets, with the velocity, the delivery."

He also ranked Losman ahead of Philip Rivers...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/20...er-losman_x.htm

Former NFL star quarterback Ron Jaworski thinks Trent Edwards has what it takes to be the kind of winning quarterback the Buffalo Bills seek.

Jaworski, ESPN's Monday Night Football analyst, doesn't give Edwards an unconditional endorsement. But he's in the corner of the Bills' third-year signal caller and thinks the Bills are doing the right thing in putting the offense in Edwards' hands.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/689691.html

No offense that's great and all, but JAWS did the same thing 2 or 3 seasons ago with JP. Jaws worked with JP over that offseason along with Frank Wyche (sp) and then seemed to give JP the stamp of approval. We all know how that worked out.

With that being said, I do think Trent is gonna have a Tony Romo type break out season. You know the season were everyone picked them to win or go to the superbowl. Trent is very smart and I think he will make good decisions in the NO HUDDLE, because of the match ups it will create. GO BILLS

Your link is from two years after JP was drafted, and there's a difference from what Jaws said about JP back in 2004.

Here, Jaws says of JP, "from the waist up, he's as good as it gets, with the velocity, the delivery."

He should have said..." from the neck, down."

Edwards CAN be a star if we keep him concussion free.

Good thing our O line returns almost intact. Oops.....

Nice job Russ.

.... I dont understand your comment. Now if the Bills returned the same offensive line, wouldn't he have a good chance of getting another concussion? Because he surely wasn't protected very well last year. Mr. Brandon released Duke Preston who sucked, Derrick Dockery who sucked, and an unmotivated Jason Peters and replaced those guys with possibly the best rookie interior offensive line prospects coming out of the draft.

I say he handled that pretty well.

Guest dog14787
It is true that, like Sam Wyche, Jaws did like JP very much when he entered the league. His combination of arm strength and mobility was very enticing. However, I think it became obvious to even casual observers that JP was simply not ever going to get any better. He just didn't get "it". The hope is that TE will continue to get better the more he plays.

Speaking of QB completion percentage, JP Losman entered into the NFL with a very good completion percentage and is normally a good indication he is NFL worthy as a starter.

Being a smart guy and having potential is great, but at some point he's got to

1) stay healthy

2) produce

Until that happens, I'm not feeling the love affair. In another year or two he could be a backup someplace else if things don't work out

Agreed. And both are HIGHLY dependent on those around him.

GO BILLS!!!

He also ranked Losman ahead of Philip Rivers...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/20...er-losman_x.htm

Ronny HATES JP's footwork. That's what he meant by 'waist up.' Not a surprise. JP's mechanics, in terms of footwork, are among the worst I've ever seen. I've said it before and I'll say it again, "What happens when you launch a rocket from an unstable platform?"

GO BILLS!!!

Jaworski said the same thing about Losman.

Yes he did, Jaws is the most overrated analyst there is. He's so stubborn and if a QB doesn't play his 'way' he doesn't like him.

I do agree, Trent will be great in this league, I've said it from day one and haven't ever changed my mind on that (for the record, I also always said McGahee and Losman were flops and would never amount to anything better than average).

Note: It seems my previous posts bragging about TE having the best completion percentage in the league is inaccurate, TE ranked 6th,

1) Chad Pennington 67.4% and is a big reason why Miami won the division

2) Kurt Warner 67.1%

3) Peyton Manning 66.8%

4) Matt Schaub 66.1%

5) Brett Favre 65.7% (surprised me a little)

6) Trent Edwards 65.5%

TE may have been leading the league in completion percentage at some point during the season, but not at seasons end.

The best completion percentage record ever was set by Ken Anderson in 1982 while playing for the Bengals, the record stands at 70.6%, however the season was shortened that year due to a strike with only 9 games played.

Shouldn't that tell you everything you need to know about how accurately that statistic reflects the effectiveness of an NFL QB?

Trent's biggest drawback is he has not been able to stay on the field. If he can do that he could become very good, if not he will be no more than a journeyman like Chris Chandler.................... a smart QB with a good skill set that was injury prone.

Shouldn't that tell you everything you need to know about how accurately that statistic reflects the effectiveness of an NFL QB?

Are you implying that accuracy is an over-rated stat? If so, you couldn't be farther from the truth. Coaches, scouts, and other talent evaluators place that in the 'must' category. Few teams will even consider a QB if he hasn't demonstrated accuracy. Especially in today's game, with the premium on short and intermediate routes. Accuracy is usually ranked right up there with football intelligence.

GO BILLS!!!

Trent's biggest drawback is he has not been able to stay on the field. If he can do that he could become very good, if not he will be no more than a journeyman like Chris Chandler.................... a smart QB with a good skill set that was injury prone.

I don't think that's all his fault. He put on weight last offseason to improve his durability. Then he got his bell rung in Arizona, which was going to take him out no matter who he is. Now he worked with Drew Brees to help learn how to better protect his knees. At least he is working on this issue.

Guest dog14787

The Bengals only lost 2 games and made the playoffs, so yes, it does as a matter of fact. :devil: