I actually see the Bills this season as similiar to the 1999 Rams

The St. Louis Rams in 1999 became the greatest show on Turf because of their offense's ability to score on a regular basis. The had their best WR coming off a bad year in Issac Bruce (Lee Evans for us), Added Faulk who was able to catch well out of the backfield (Rhodes for us), Had a 28 year old QB in Warner with a great mind / quick decision making / accurate throws (flashes of 26 year old Trent last year), a O-line that came together (fingers crossed for us)., The Rams had just come off a 4-12 season after multiple losing years in a row (Bills have sucked for years).

1999 NFL St. Louis Rams* 13 3 0 Vermeil Warner Faulk Bruce 1 1 4 6 9 1 1 31

1998 NFL St. Louis Rams 4 12 0 Vermeil Banks Henley Proehl 24 27 24 10 27 25 22 30

1997 NFL St. Louis Rams 5 11 0 Vermeil Banks Phillips Lee 23 21 19 17 6 23 19 30

1996 NFL St. Louis Rams 6 10 0 Brooks Banks Phillips Bruce 20 27 27 26 21 27 30 30

1995 NFL St. Louis Rams 7 9 0 Brooks Miller Bettis Bruce 22 15 29 12 19 27 15 30

Age Pos G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk%

Kurt Warner*+ 28 QB 16 16 13-3-0 325 499 65.1 4353 41 8.2 13 2.6 75 8.7 8.4 13.4 272.1 109.2 29 201 7.9 7.5 5.5

Add it all up and there is many things to compare, especially with T.O. being the most productive WR in the past 3 years and ML bulking up to 230 and being able to hammer out yards. I actually see our offense as rather difficult to handle on a weekly basis, simliar the the Rams. If the Bills can score early and often, our defense will see alot more passes than normal which will win us alot of games this year. I personally think if our opponents have to pass a majority of the time, they are dead ducks in general against us.

GO BILLS!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see Owens and Evans being comparable to Bruce and Holt...but you lost me when you compared Faulk to Rhodes and Warner to Edwards.

Most importantly, I believe our coaching staff is simply too conservative to recreate The Greatest Show on Turf. In the past, their aim has been possession of the ball more than rapid movement up the field. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, it just doesn't engender truly dynamic offenses.

The St. Louis Rams in 1999 became the greatest show on Turf because of their offense's ability to score on a regular basis. The had their best WR coming off a bad year in Issac Bruce (Lee Evans for us), Added Faulk who was able to catch well out of the backfield (Rhodes for us), Had a 28 year old QB in Warner with a great mind / quick decision making / accurate throws (flashes of 26 year old Trent last year), a O-line that came together (fingers crossed for us)., The Rams had just come off a 4-12 season after multiple losing years in a row (Bills have sucked for years).

1999 NFL St. Louis Rams* 13 3 0 Vermeil Warner Faulk Bruce 1 1 4 6 9 1 1 31

1998 NFL St. Louis Rams 4 12 0 Vermeil Banks Henley Proehl 24 27 24 10 27 25 22 30

1997 NFL St. Louis Rams 5 11 0 Vermeil Banks Phillips Lee 23 21 19 17 6 23 19 30

1996 NFL St. Louis Rams 6 10 0 Brooks Banks Phillips Bruce 20 27 27 26 21 27 30 30

1995 NFL St. Louis Rams 7 9 0 Brooks Miller Bettis Bruce 22 15 29 12 19 27 15 30

Age Pos G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk%

Kurt Warner*+ 28 QB 16 16 13-3-0 325 499 65.1 4353 41 8.2 13 2.6 75 8.7 8.4 13.4 272.1 109.2 29 201 7.9 7.5 5.5

Add it all up and there is many things to compare, especially with T.O. being the most productive WR in the past 3 years and ML bulking up to 230 and being able to hammer out yards. I actually see our offense as rather difficult to handle on a weekly basis. If the Bills can score early and often, our defense will see alot more passes than normal which will win us alot of games this year. I personally think if our opponents have to pass a majority of the time, they are dead ducks in general against us.

GO BILLS!!

Boy are your comparisons off. Warner had a quick release and a rocket arm, Trent has neither. Marshal Faulk was the BEST RB in the game RHodes pales in comparison. Bruce is more of a Owens with Evans being closer to a holt but holt was the better route runner and Reed doesnt have the sped of the 3rd reciever whose name escapes me.

Boy are your comparisons off. Warner had a quick release and a rocket arm, Trent has neither. Marshal Faulk was the BEST RB in the game RHodes pales in comparison. Bruce is more of a Owens with Evans being closer to a holt but holt was the better route runner and Reed doesnt have the sped of the 3rd reciever whose name escapes me.

Hakim the dream?

Too bad that team played in a dome, had a good coach, started zero rookies on the offensive line and had a defensive line whose starters alone accounted for more than 30 sacks.

Their defensive line knew that a pass was coming a majority of the time and didn't really have to defend the run. If you check the Rams typical games, they were up by 21 points at 1:40 PM. If the Bills know a pass is coming all the time, can the opponents find that many WR's open that fast?? I think we have some major secondary talent, enough to stop most teams best efforts at passing consistently.

Ah Skooby is infected with the Chroise!

Warner was QB for the Amsterdam Admirals (Al Luginbill, Amsterdams coach at the time scouted him and was able to get him a tryout and NFL Europe contract for the Rams (NFLE teams were obligated to have a QB under NFL contract), Warner entered the 99 campaign as the third string QB but managed to work himself up to second string during camp. Trent Green injured and there Warner was suddenly starting.

Hamdan was the Amsterdam Admirals QB for 05 and 06.

Just saying. :ph34r:

Ah Skooby is infected with the Chroise!

Warner was QB for the Amsterdam Admirals (Al Luginbill, Amsterdams coach at the time scouted him and was able to get him a tryout and NFL Europe contract for the Rams (NFLE teams were obligated to have a QB under NFL contract), Warner entered the 99 campaign as the third string QB but managed to work himself up to second string during camp. Trent Green injured and there Warner was suddenly starting.

Hamdan was the Amsterdam Admirals QB for 05 and 06.

Just saying. :ph34r:

If I remember correctly, The Chroise is who actually personally built the Iowa arena Warner eventually starred in, no?

Warner had a very live arm back them. Edwards would have a very live arm... if he played for Williamsville South.

Better comparison, one of the 49 SB years with Montana, Rice and Taylor....

Their defensive line knew that a pass was coming a majority of the time and didn't really have to defend the run. If you check the Rams typical games, they were up by 21 points at 1:40 PM. If the Bills know a pass is coming all the time, can the opponents find that many WR's open that fast?? I think we have some major secondary talent, enough to stop most teams best efforts at passing consistently.

That's a good point.

Warner had a very live arm back them. Edwards would have a very live arm... if he played for Williamsville South.

Better comparison, one of the 49 SB years with Montana, Rice and Taylor....

That school looks so depressing.. I remember driving past williamsville south with a 40 in my hand ready to blow because it looked so erie and depressing

That school looks so depressing.. I remember driving past williamsville south with a 40 in my hand ready to blow because it looked so erie and depressing

Yeah? Ever drive by Bennett?

High school is depressing no matter what, from retrospect, but some are a worse kind of depressing than others.

Starpoint in lockport was really a depressing school.. i dont ever rememember a sunny day looking at that school

Actually I have been by there and even played basketball against them in the 80s.

Yuck, you are correct, very depressing

We could only hope for so prolific an offense. The things that would prevent it: they had a dome, Orlando Pace, a different type of coach, and a willingness to light it up. I can easily envision our offense being high scoring. Given our talent, with the right coach and the right plays called, we could be a very versatile unit. We've got runners who can pound it, and we've got runners who are quick, and who are excellent recievers. We've got good recievers. Our QB is efficient when he's hot. I think it comes down to knowing what kind of offense we want, having the players know it, and then becoming it. Thus far, I haven't seen a specific type of offense recognizable - we're not a smash mouth team, or a pass happy team. We, to date, in this decade, have seemed more like an offense that just doesn't want to turn the ball over. I'd like to see us be a tough, smash mouth run team, who, when the defense gears up to stop the run, lights it up down field. I'd have to say weather is a factor, too. In the late end of the season, as evidenced in last year's cleveland game, Edwards, to date, hasn't shown the ability to throw it too well. Again, I hope that changes. I'd be happy with any kind of scheme, so long as it works, and it uses the weapons we've got. I'll have to say, though, that our O.C. was new to that role last year. Maybe after having one year's experience, and knowing our players better, and they him, we'll be much better for it. I look forward to seeing what he can put together this year. It's easy to say I like what I've heard of him, as far as what he'd like to do offensively, but until he can make it happen... How about those Bengals teams in their glory? What did their offense look like - I don't remember.

We could only hope for so prolific an offense. The things that would prevent it: they had a dome, Orlando Pace, a different type of coach, and a willingness to light it up. I can easily envision our offense being high scoring. Given our talent, with the right coach and the right plays called, we could be a very versatile unit. We've got runners who can pound it, and we've got runners who are quick, and who are excellent recievers. We've got good recievers. Our QB is efficient when he's hot. I think it comes down to knowing what kind of offense we want, having the players know it, and then becoming it. Thus far, I haven't seen a specific type of offense recognizable - we're not a smash mouth team, or a pass happy team. We, to date, in this decade, have seemed more like an offense that just doesn't want to turn the ball over. I'd like to see us be a tough, smash mouth run team, who, when the defense gears up to stop the run, lights it up down field. I'd have to say weather is a factor, too. In the late end of the season, as evidenced in last year's cleveland game, Edwards, to date, hasn't shown the ability to throw it too well. Again, I hope that changes. I'd be happy with any kind of scheme, so long as it works, and it uses the weapons we've got. I'll have to say, though, that our O.C. was new to that role last year. Maybe after having one year's experience, and knowing our players better, and they him, we'll be much better for it. I look forward to seeing what he can put together this year. It's easy to say I like what I've heard of him, as far as what he'd like to do offensively, but until he can make it happen... How about those Bengals teams in their glory? What did their offense look like - I don't remember.

Excellent post !! :ph34r:

If the No-huddle comes into play and is executed well, I can see us ringing up good size leads early. This also brings our crowd into the game (at home) and will force our opponent's to go to the air for quicker points. I personally see our secondary waiting for those passes and as confidence builds, picks come along. We have some ball hawks back there, the more they get fed / the more they'll want to eat.

I think there are a lot of legit comparisons between those Rams and this year's Bills. For instance, both teams had 11 men on the field at all times. Also, both offenses feature a quarterback throwing passes and handing off the ball to "running backs."

Are you kidding me?

The Rams o-line was absolutely terrific. We have absolutely no idea who will even play on our o-line, just some educated guesses. And one of the educated guesses is that we'll have nobody in a position they played last year. Do you remember who the Rams had at left tackle? Orlando Pace, a possible hall-of-famer. We have a guy who can play RT at LT, and probably two rookies besides.

Warner had one of the greatest seasons ever and as a poster said above, they played in a dome. Has Trent EVER thrown for as many yards in one game as Warner averaged that year?

There is also some slight difference in talent and experience between Martz and Schonert, the two guys who were mainly responsible for the offenses of the two teams.

As I said above, the main similarities are that both teams played eleven men, and were professional football teams.

----------------

EDIT: Oh, it's Skooby. Got it.

I think there are a lot of legit comparisons between those Rams and this year's Bills. For instance, both teams had 11 men on the field at all times. Also, both offenses feature a quarterback throwing passes and handing off the ball to "running backs."

Are you kidding me?

The Rams o-line was absolutely terrific. We have absolutely no idea who will even play on our o-line, just some educated guesses. And one of the educated guesses is that we'll have nobody in a position they played last year. Do you remember who the Rams had at left tackle? Orlando Pace, a possible hall-of-famer. We have a guy who can play RT at LT, and probably two rookies besides.

Warner had one of the greatest seasons ever and as a poster said above, they played in a dome. Has Trent EVER thrown for as many yards in one game as Warner averaged that year?

There is also some slight difference in talent and experience between Martz and Schonert, the two guys who were mainly responsible for the offenses of the two teams.

As I said above, the main similarities are that both teams played eleven men, and were professional football teams.

...They played indoors and we practice indoors. Does that count? :ph34r:

Thats the most optimistic view of our team. There is so many things that could go right and wrong with our team. Your outlook is if everything goes right but there is also so many things that can go wrong. This year is such a crapshoot its boom or bust. There is also a possibility of another 7-9 season. So who knows I just hope the team makes the playoffs or the bottom falls out I don't want another 7-9 or even an 8-8 season because than they miss the playoffs and bring this coaching staff back

Thats the most optimistic view of our team. There is so many things that could go right and wrong with our team. Your outlook is if everything goes right but there is also so many things that can go wrong. This year is such a crapshoot its boom or bust. There is also a possibility of another 7-9 season. So who knows I just hope the team makes the playoffs or the bottom falls out I don't want another 7-9 or even an 8-8 season because than they miss the playoffs and bring this coaching staff back

We have the talent onboard now, can it be utilized to the fullest is the big question.