What is a bigger failure?

I ask this because people here act like we've been 0-16 for the last 10 years. While it may feel like collassal failure to miss the playoffs for 9 seasons, for the most part we have been in the hunt. So I ask what's a bigger fail? 7-9 or 0-16? Would you rather be eliminated by week 6?

FYI: Not making excuses. Just trying to maintain perspective.

PTR

I ask this because people here act like we've been 0-16 for the last 10 years. While it may feel like collassal failure to miss the playoffs for 9 seasons, for the most part we have been in the hunt till the last couple of weeks. So I ask what's a bigger fail? 7-9 or 0-16?

PTR

0-16 is carefree. 7-9 is insipid, gut-wrenching, and makes you feel like a sap.

When the Bills went 2-14 a few years in a row the Bills managed to get the #1 overall pick and took Bruce Smith,

TBH I'd rather see the Bills be total failures for a few years to get an extraordinary player or two, and...

During those bleak 2-14 years before Marv, Kelly and Polian the fans stayed away in doves and the few that did show up wore bags. That bleak attendance woke the old man up so he could hire some new people with some smarts or he would be forced to sell the team.

He hired Bill Polian and Bill hired Marv, who hired Ted Marchibroda who then built that amazing offense!!!!! No offense but if it were up to Marv he would have installed the wing T like he did in KC.

Every year the Bills go 7-9 and the optimistic freakiziods come outta everywhere and think the Bills are on the way to the SB because of the new free agents or draft picks, and every year they end up whining and crying about the season in some fashion or other because the Bills fall short.

Even with TO the Bills can't overcome that offensive line that is in total upheaval, what good is a 6 million receiver if the QB doesn't have time to get the ball to him.

I ask this because people here act like we've been 0-16 for the last 10 years. While it may feel like collassal failure to miss the playoffs for 9 seasons, for the most part we have been in the hunt. So I ask what's a bigger fail? 7-9 or 0-16? Would you rather be eliminated by week 6?

PTR

the failure is going 7-9 year after year, not making a coaching change and expecting different results

at least Detroit finally woke up and canned Millen and their coaching staff

the failure is going 7-9 year after year, not making a coaching change and expecting different results

Yea but they had to set a record of ZERO and SIXTEEN before the owner finally woke the F*** up, I suppose that is what will NEED to happen with Buffalo :lol:

Part of it is the way that our management, coaches, players and fans have all acted like everything is fine while a storied franchise in a football town tanks.

I dont mean to rub it in, but we have found a way to lose for years now. Bills vs Cowboys on monday night a couple years ago is all you need to know about this franchise.

PTR

7-9 is the biggest tease ever while 0-16 is a heart ache but the expectations get lowered so much that its hard to get frustrated or angry because you aren't even close to being even average.

7-9 is so frustrating because you think you are just one big free agency signing or two and a good draft away from the playoffs. But with this team we never go boom or bust we just stay in a slightly below average state we draft good enough to stay where we are and we don't draft great or make enough free agency moves ( good ones at least ) to move up.

So we stay where we are and the coaches and management that fails keeps their jobs for a little longer. So yeah 7-9 is better than 0-16 but not as frustrating

There was a philosopher who once said something like this: you can hate me, you can love me, but don't be ambivalent. Don't just be blahhh. Be passionate one way or the other. With a losing season and team, you can rebuild. But, with consistent almosts, we never get to rebuilding mode. This year could pass as a rebuilding year, just as two years ago could of, and four years, and six. What is agonizing is that the F.O. is apparently driven by $ signs, and if the seats keep selling, that to them is a winning season. Fans, on a whole, I believe, should unite and support or not support their respective teams according to the decisions that those teams make. Why pay so much money, and spend so much time and energy talking about and thinking about and following a team that has no real desire to compete for the #1 spot. And, to think about it, why is that even enough. What I mean is, if your whole life is football, and you're a professional, and the F.O. personnel's whole life is the same, why be content with the carousel that is the top dogs of the NFL? Wouldn't you want to be not just the best on any given year, but absolutely great? That is what is so infuriating. We don't see that kind of desire enough, and are settled when we hear about hopefully making the playoffs. I'm not going to be any happier making the playoffs and losing. What then? Another couple of years of Dick Juaron? Lets see something great. So, I guess I'll have to side with taking the 0-16 team if it leads to a pursuit of something much better. Constant mediocrity is despiriting.

Millen was canned when Ford the son said if he were Ford the father he'd fire the guy. IIRC, this happened early in the season when Detroit got off to a typical bad start. I think in any other place, Millen would have been gone 2-3 years ago.

Buffalo hasn't made any long term changes to the front office or in the coaching staff in more than 3 seasons. Fairchild left on his own, as did Kollar. By retaining DJ, the team is saying they're content with a mediocre HC.

I still don't think fans realize how hard it is to go without a playoff appearance in nine straight seasons during the salary cap. Only the aforementioned Lions can match this record of futility.

The absolute worst place to be in any sport is just out of the playoffs. You aren't good enough to win but win just enough to prevent yourself from drafting highly enough to get top talent.

Here's my example. In the two years before the lockout the Sabres just barely missed the playoffs. The Penguins were brutal and ended up with Malkin and Crosby. The Sabres got Stafford and Zagrapan. So, by being just good enough to miss the playoffs the Sabres dropped themselved from the top 2 choices to #13 two years in a row. Had they just been bad they had a shot at Vanek, Malkin or Ovechkin, and Crosby in 3 straight years.

This year? They have no shot at John Tavares. None. They weren't bad enough and now will end up with a piker.

PTR

I think you are missing the bigger issue of the fans distate for last years 7-9 so we can now rephase your question as the following:

Which is worse going 0-16 or starting the season 6-2 and finsihing 1-7 and going 0-6 in the division to boot?

Sorry But i will go with the going 1-7 and finsihing 0-6 in the division after a promising 6-2 start!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

0-16 is carefree. 7-9 is insipid, gut-wrenching, and makes you feel like a sap.

Cincy, you nailed it, my good sir.

7-9 is like balling a chick and then being prevented from finishing by the arrival of John Candy banging Sigmund Freud.

I sat through those 2-14 seasons. There was nothing to look forward to during those years. No way I would want to see that again. I think I would like to be teased that we are in the playoff race with 3 weeks left in the season rather than knowing our season is over in August.

I think you are missing the bigger issue of the fans distate for last years 7-9 so we can now rephase your question as the following:

Which is worse going 0-16 or starting the season 6-2 and finsihing 1-7 and going 0-6 in the division to boot?

Sorry But i will go with the going 1-7 and finsihing 0-6 in the division after a promising 6-2 start!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

However which way they achieve 7-9 was not the point of this post. I'm simply remarking at how the average TBD or BZ poster behaves as if the Bills as the worst team in the NFL because they go 7-9.

PTR

However which way they achieve 7-9 was not the point of this post. I'm simply remarking at how the average TBD or BZ poster behaves as if the Bills as the worst team in the NFL because they go 7-9.

PTR

It's just HIGH EXPECTATIONS, pardon the caps. But many younger-ish fans (like me) were weened on their Bills fandom during the Super Bowl Consecutive run. That's why, in short. It's just fandom blue balls, yo.

PTR

Would you rather watch a laughably-bad Sci Fi flick or something on the Oxygen Channel?

You're a tard!

tard: slang for retard: A person of limited intellect, too dim witted to argue a valid point, therefor attacks others by calling them childish names. See: TheFalseWanka.

If you think going 7-9 year after year after year is better than having one or two terrible years followed by great years (see: the Bills of the 90's) then you are the retard.

When the Bills went 2-14 a few years in a row the Bills managed to get the #1 overall pick and took Bruce Smith,

TBH I'd rather see the Bills be total failures for a few years to get an extraordinary player or two, and...

During those bleak 2-14 years before Marv, Kelly and Polian the fans stayed away in doves and the few that did show up wore bags. That bleak attendance woke the old man up so he could hire some new people with some smarts or he would be forced to sell the team.

He hired Bill Polian and Bill hired Marv, who hired Ted Marchibroda who then built that amazing offense!!!!! No offense but if it were up to Marv he would have installed the wing T like he did in KC.

Every year the Bills go 7-9 and the optimistic freakiziods come outta everywhere and think the Bills are on the way to the SB because of the new free agents or draft picks, and every year they end up whining and crying about the season in some fashion or other because the Bills fall short.

Even with TO the Bills can't overcome that offensive line that is in total upheaval, what good is a 6 million receiver if the QB doesn't have time to get the ball to him.

sheesh--a good post til the last sentence. Trent had plenty of time to throw last year. That -along with our DBs and STs was one of our few strengths.

Bills vs Cowboys on monday night a couple years ago is all you need to know about this franchise.

Ouch!

I think you have hit the nail squarely upon it's head.

What an ugly way to lose. Didn't the Bills have 2 or 3 INT TDs and ST scores? I'm fuzzy on the game details, but recall the great plays by George Wilson et al.

Finding a way to lose -- yikes, it reminds me of the Kay Stephenson era ...