Serious question on the gay marriage issue

I made my choice to conform to the norm around the time a person matures... Who knows what would have happened if I was exposed to other things? :lol: There is nothing wrong with choosing to be gay... It is what you grow up and choose. Of course I was exposed to a hetero-life as the norm. I chose the norm around the time one starts to enjoy the companionship of others. People (as I was) are influenced by society. Some will mock me, people are NEITHER straight nor gay... Call me a lemming, hetero life is the predominant social more.

Let's talk about that choice. How old were you when you made it? You say you chose to "conform to the norm around the time a person matures." What does that mean? Did you hang out with guys? At what age did you decide you were not attracted to them? What were your considerations?

That you chose to conform to the norm, suggest you had attraction to both men and women, but you decided to be attracted to women instead of men. Were you mostly afraid of the societal problems you would face if you decided to be attracted to men? Since you had no real exposure to homosexuals, you wouldn't be that aware it was abnormal, or so your story seems to imply.

This leads to another question. With more the acceptance of gay lifestyles, we should see the number of gays rising. And I strongly disagree it is because of "coming out of the closet issues" and that those feelings were always there. IMO, it has to do with social acceptance of the gay lifestyle being the norm.

I love that you "strongly disagree" that the acceptability of the gay lifestyle is not a major factor in the number of people who are openly gay. Where is your evidence for that?

Furthermore, where is your evidence for sexuality being a choice, and not something that people are born with? I know of no credible study that suggests lifestyle, or knowledge of the possibility of a gay lifestyle, has any impact on a person's sexual orientation.

There is an enormous amount of anecdotal evidence demonstrating people who were sexually attracted primarily to people of same sex chose to live as heterosexual (that is have opposite-sex relationships) due to societal pressures. Where is the contradictory evidence of straight people (those sexually attracted primarily to people of the opposite sex) choosing a gay sexual lifestyle? Surely, if there is a choice, and if societal pressures has no impact on the number of people who are openly gay. the numbers should be somewhat equal, here.

So, let's see what we have here. You are protecting your bigotry on this issue by refusing to believe what most people have come to accept, by now: people don't choose their sexuality. You point to a lack of evidence, but you offer none of your own, other than your own personal choice, which you recall, to be a heterosexual. Furthermore, you make a very bold statement, that the number of openly gay people has nothing to do with the lifestyle being more accepted today, than it was years ago. BUT you also suggest that exposure to gay people may be what is responsible for more people admitting they are gay.

WOW...that's a long way to go to defend an irrational prejudice, don't you think?

While I am quite certain sexuality is not a choice for most of us, let's pretend for one minute that it is. Why would you deny those who choose to be homosexual the right to marry, as it has zero impact on the lives of those who are heterosexual? We let convicted felons get married. What is so despicable about being gay makes the right to marry another gay person so horrible?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's talk about that choice. How old were you when you made it? You say you chose to "conform to the norm around the time a person matures." What does that mean? Did you hang out with guys? At what age did you decide you were not attracted to them? What were your considerations?

That you chose to conform to the norm, suggest you had attraction to both men and women, but you decided to be attracted to women instead of men. Were you mostly afraid of the societal problems you would face if you decided to be attracted to men? Since you had no real exposure to homosexuals, you wouldn't be that aware it was abnormal, or so your story seems to imply.

I love that you "strongly disagree" that the acceptability of the gay lifestyle is not a major factor in the number of people who are openly gay. Where is your evidence for that?

Furthermore, where is your evidence for sexuality being a choice, and not something that people are born with? I know of no credible study that suggests lifestyle, or knowledge of the possibility of a gay lifestyle, has any impact on a person's sexual orientation.

There is an enormous amount of anecdotal evidence demonstrating people who were sexually attracted primarily to people of same sex chose to live as heterosexual (that is have opposite-sex relationships) due to societal pressures. Where is the contradictory evidence of straight people (those sexually attracted primarily to people of the opposite sex) choosing a gay sexual lifestyle? Surely, if there is a choice, and if societal pressures has no impact on the number of people who are openly gay. the numbers should be somewhat equal, here.

So, let's see what we have here. You are protecting your bigotry on this issue by refusing to believe what most people have come to accept, by now: people don't choose their sexuality. You point to a lack of evidence, but you offer none of your own, other than your own personal choice, which you recall, to be a heterosexual. Furthermore, you make a very bold statement, that the number of openly gay people has nothing to do with the lifestyle being more accepted today, than it was years ago. BUT you also suggest that exposure to gay people may be what is responsible for more people admitting they are gay.

WOW...that's a long way to go to defend an irrational prejudice, don't you think?

While I am quite certain sexuality is not a choice for most of us, let's pretend for one minute that it is. Why would you deny those who choose to be homosexual the right to marry, as it has zero impact on the lives of those who are heterosexual? We let convicted felons get married. What is so despicable about being gay makes the right to marry another gay person so horrible?

I've never been to prison, but it's my understanding that there is a bit of a "dating scene" there and I don't mean just the Thursday conjugal visits. :lol:

I've never been to prison, but it's my understanding that there is a bit of a "dating scene" there and I don't mean just the Thursday conjugal visits. :lol:

There is a difference between sex and sexual orientation.

Many homosexuals have heterosexual relationships to pass as hetero. And in prison, where the opportunity for heterosexual encounters is limited, some men who are hetero have homosexual relationships...many against their will.

But the point remains, don't confuse sex with sexual orientation. You can choose who you have sex with, but most of us have no choice when it comes to our sexual orientation.

Barry finally pitches, Pisces catches, home team wins.

-Let's Go to Prison, 2006

Fine. I am not going to get into that much more. There is no point to continuing this, I just don't agree with you. There are many things above that you twisted and distorted to fit your POV.

Let it all be a free for all... So be it.

You still have a good POV with regards to many other things Dean. :devil:

Ruh Roh Raggy

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A day after former Vice President Dick Cheney repeated his support for the idea of same-sex marriage, Republican party chairman Michael Steele publicly disagreed with him, suggesting that Cheney's position was influenced by his lesbian daughter.

"My personal view is that marriage is between a man and a woman," Steele said Tuesday on CNN's American Morning, "very much in line with what the president [barack Obama] has said."

"…The vice president brings a very personal perspective to this issue," he also said. "I think his comments are an appropriate reflection of his family and his situation with his daughter."

At an appearance at the National Press Club Monday, Cheney reiterated his long-standing position that individuals should be able to choose the type of relationship they wish to enter into. Citing his own family's experience with the issue, he said the question of same-sex marriage was best left to the states, not the federal government.

"I think freedom means freedom for everyone," Cheney said Monday, when asked whether some form of legalized same-sex marriage is inevitable in the United States.

Ruh Roh Raggy

:devil:

"I think freedom means freedom for everyone," Cheney said Monday, when asked whether some form of legalized same-sex marriage is inevitable in the United States.

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to loose...