The Notre Dame brouhaha...

"Upon this rock I will build my church." Catholics, and I am one of them (proudly so), teach Christ only built one religion. Maybe you deny it, but the truth still exists.

The question for you would be do you believe Christ was God, if you don't then obviously it would make sense that you don't believe that.

Wow! An organized religion teaching that theirs in the only "real" religion? Shocking!

What about all the other religions that claim theirs is the right one?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Flying Spaghetti Monster is laughing at all of you.

As for the question at hand, the FSM follows a policy similar to that of the Catholic Church. All are invited to partake of His sauces and debate the merits of each, but only those who follow His teachings will be honored with their own.

Do you really think Paul Newman would have gotten his own brand, had he not donned the Western equivalent of pirate regalia in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" in what can only be described as a 1900 buccanears tale?

Hunt, Luigi Giovanni, and the dread ship Ragu - swashbucklers all of them.

Surely Christ didn't, for example, envision pedophile priests and torture as part of His plan for the Church? No, I didn't think so.

You know what would help Christians? If they would just do some good in this world. I'm not a particularly religious person, and I don't attend church, but if Christians and their churches could somehow reach out and help people who need help in the name of their God, and stop being so goddamn selfish, maybe they might not be ridiculed and condemned as the laughable, sinful child-!@#$ers that they are.

You know what would help Christians? If they would just do some good in this world. I'm not a particularly religious person, and I don't attend church, but if Christians and their churches could somehow reach out and help people who need help in the name of their God, and stop being so goddamn selfish, maybe they might not be ridiculed and condemned as the laughable, sinful child-!@#$ers that they are.

The sad thing is, I bet the person you are responding to with this actually believes that is the truth.

Ahh, the old "I know you are, but what am I" argument. Always enchanting.

Make up your mind, would you, Jeneane? Were we protesting taxes or protesting the black man being president?

I get it, only you and your buddies can criticize others .. Gotcha' :thumbdown:

So you want to throw in the race card ... nice..

Some people were protesting the "man" who is the president. Selectively calling him out and NOT the system.

I get it, only you and your buddies can criticize others .. Gotcha' :thumbdown:

So conseratives are the only ones that criticize the other side? Liberals on the other hand always stick to their point(s) and never use verbal abuse of others' views to their advantage? Are you seriously trying to make this a legitimate point? Or are you just doing everything you can to try to justify your own views?

The sad thing is, I bet the person you are responding to with this actually believes that is the truth.

I don't mind admitting I'm a little tired of this new trend of ridiculing Christians. I understand and accept they make some questionable decisions based on the faith of a higher power that can not be physically proven. I was particularly struck by Bill Maher's comments during the Academy Awards while he was giving a speech about the nominees in the Best Documentary category, when he commented about people who believe in "their silly Gods," as though the audience was filled with only atheists.

And yet I see no one ridiculing the president because he believes in "a silly God," and he prays, and he believes that gays should not be permitted to marry. It's so much easier to ridicule people like Carrie Prejean, and call her a B word, and post photos of her with a rooster on her face. Because that is clearly taking a higher road than believing in "a silly God."

I do know one thing: when the shiit hits the fan, the idea of God doesn't seem so silly to many people. But I'm sure that when the US was attacked on 9/11, the members of Congress broke out singing "God Bless America" because the notes were easier to reach than in "America the Beautiful."

I do know one thing: when the shiit hits the fan, the idea of God doesn't seem so silly to many people. But I'm sure that when the US was attacked on 9/11, the members of Congress broke out singing "God Bless America" because the notes were easier to reach than in "America the Beautiful."

Proving...nothing.

I don't mind admitting I'm a little tired of this new trend of ridiculing Christians. I understand and accept they make some questionable decisions based on the faith of a higher power that can not be physically proven. I was particularly struck by Bill Maher's comments during the Academy Awards while he was giving a speech about the nominees in the Best Documentary category, when he commented about people who believe in "their silly Gods," as though the audience was filled with only atheists.

And yet I see no one ridiculing the president because he believes in "a silly God," and he prays, and he believes that gays should not be permitted to marry. It's so much easier to ridicule people like Carrie Prejean, and call her a B word, and post photos of her with a rooster on her face. Because that is clearly taking a higher road than believing in "a silly God."

Christians aren't being ridiculed for their belief in God. They (christians) are being ridiculed for forcing that belief onto others and expecting the rest of society to follow their beliefs. (Sure some idiots like Maher may do it, but that simply makes him no different than the people he is attempting to ridicule.) Religion and faith are different to every person, so everyone should have a right to worship whatever higher power they personally believe in. The problem (and the subsequent ridicule) comes in with 2 circumstances: 1) Lots of christians are attempting to force their beliefs on others and claim that their higher power is better/greater/more omnipotent/more correct than someone else's higher power. 2) Lots of Christians talk the talk, but don't walk the walk. The people that run their mouth the most about being "religious" are usually the least likely to actually live out their beliefs. To them, show is more important than substance.

As for Prejean, she said something controversial in a public setting. (i'm not going to argue the set-up or situation, because it was bogus to put hilton there). Lots of other public figures say something stupid or controversial, and then criticized and torn down. Its a public figure thing. If any one of us got on TV and said stupid sh--, we'd get criticized too. But stop with the double standard. If you are against dirty pictures and ridicule of Prejean, they you should also be against ridicule of the lefties you despise. (Personally, i say attack them all, from Pelosi to Prejean, and thats much better than attacking none of them.)

This discussion makes me wonder...what i don't understand about conservatives, is why they have a "stay the !@#$ out" attitude about the government, but do not have a "stay the !@#$ out" attitude when it comes to the personal lives/social situation of others?

Please don't waste too much time believing that anything I write is designed to prove anything to you. I've read enough of your comments to know you're convinced you're as smart as you're ever going to be.

:thumbsup: Pot meet kettle.

Christians aren't being ridiculed for their belief in God. They (christians) are being ridiculed for forcing that belief onto others and expecting the rest of society to follow their beliefs. (Sure some idiots like Maher may do it, but that simply makes him no different than the people he is attempting to ridicule.) Religion and faith are different to every person, so everyone should have a right to worship whatever higher power they personally believe in. The problem (and the subsequent ridicule) comes in with 2 circumstances: 1) Lots of christians are attempting to force their beliefs on others and claim that their higher power is better/greater/more omnipotent/more correct than someone else's higher power. 2) Lots of Christians talk the talk, but don't walk the walk. The people that run their mouth the most about being "religious" are usually the least likely to actually live out their beliefs. To them, show is more important than substance.

As for Prejean, she said something controversial in a public setting. (i'm not going to argue the set-up or situation, because it was bogus to put hilton there). Lots of other public figures say something stupid or controversial, and then criticized and torn down. Its a public figure thing. If any one of us got on TV and said stupid sh--, we'd get criticized too. But stop with the double standard. If you are against dirty pictures and ridicule of Prejean, they you should also be against ridicule of the lefties you despise. (Personally, i say attack them all, from Pelosi to Prejean, and thats much better than attacking none of them.)

This discussion makes me wonder...what i don't understand about conservatives, is why they have a "stay the !@#$ out" attitude about the government, but do not have a "stay the !@#$ out" attitude when it comes to the personal lives/social situation of others?

Actually, lately there seems to be a lot more ridicule of "the silly God" that doesn't exist. Beyond that, I agree with a lot of what you're saying, particularly the concept that "believe what I say because the Bible says so" or "my God says so." Personally speaking, I'm too skeptical any more to put full faith in a perfect being, particularly when the being is given all credit for the good, and gets a pass on the bad based on "it's His will" or "He's testing your faith." There is no place in this world where you can get away with that rationale.

Regarding Prejean, we agree completely. My argument was that liberals are going out of their way to crap on this chick because of her opinion, but refuse to crap on Obama for having the exact same opinion. So yes, I agree...let's attack them all. Unfortunately, both sides won't do that. When they do, we can expect Perez Hilton to draw a rooster over the face of Obama and place it on his website. :thumbsup:

Your last comment is dead on. Not sure anyone has an answer for that.

Actually, lately there seems to be a lot more ridicule of "the silly God" that doesn't exist. Beyond that, I agree with a lot of what you're saying, particularly the concept that "believe what I say because the Bible says so" or "my God says so." Personally speaking, I'm too skeptical any more to put full faith in a perfect being, particularly when the being is given all credit for the good, and gets a pass on the bad based on "it's His will" or "He's testing your faith." There is no place in this world where you can get away with that rationale.

Regarding Prejean, we agree completely. My argument was that liberals are going out of their way to crap on this chick because of her opinion, but refuse to crap on Obama for having the exact same opinion. So yes, I agree...let's attack them all. Unfortunately, both sides won't do that. When they do, we can expect Perez Hilton to draw a rooster over the face of Obama and place it on his website. :thumbsup:

Your last comment is dead on. Not sure anyone has an answer for that.

Thanks. I agree, and lump the "silly God" comments in with the "my God is the best" crowd. Opposite sides, but no difference in retarded ass thought pattern.

Thanks. I agree, and lump the "silly God" comments in with the "my God is the best" crowd. Opposite sides, but no difference in retarded ass thought pattern.

Since, you apparently cannot prove there is a God, and you cannot prove there is not a God, what makes people jump to one side of the fence, or the other? Personally. I think I'd rather live my life as if there is a God, and find out that I was wrong, than the other way around.

Since, you apparently cannot prove there is a God, and you cannot prove there is not a God, what makes people jump to one side of the fence, or the other? Personally. I think I'd rather live my life as if there is a God, and find out that I was wrong, than the other way around.

This, of course, assumes having a moral compass in your life automatically entails having God their too.

Can someone who doesn't believe in God live a morally sound, values driven life, find out there is a God, then go straight to "Hell?" If yes, then God's an as-hole, and I'm not going to worship her simply because it's demanded of me!

This, of course, assumes having a moral compass in your life automatically entails having God their too.

Can someone who doesn't believe in God live a morally sound, values driven life, find out there is a God, then go straight to "Hell?" If yes, then God's an as-hole, and I'm not going to worship her simply because it's demanded of me!

No, my thoughts here do not include that assumption. You can know right from wrong, justice, love, and compassion, without making a leap of faith. Also, many self righteous dolts do hide behind religion. None of this offers conclusive evidence that there is no God.

No, my thoughts here do not include that assumption. You can know right from wrong, justice, love, and compassion, without making a leap of faith. Also, many self righteous dolts do hide behind religion. None of this offers conclusive evidence that there is no God.

So what's the harm in living a good but atheist life, then find out God's real?

So the next logical step is to wholly invent a magical being out of thin air because of the absence of any tangible proof of the existence of said magical being?