Does our Defensive Front Seven Cut It?

As I look at our team, and am excited for this season, and occassionally see you tube videos of our 90's glory years, I'm liking the looks of and potential of our team, except the front seven seems suspect. If we're (the F.O. especially) trying to put it all together this year, then I'd say they did a pretty nice job - except the front seven looks weaker than I'd like. The O-line looks promising, it might take a while - I hope not - but they're a bunch of guys that seem like can become a nasty, rugged, overpowering bunch. The D-line and backers don't give me that feel. I know we've got Stroud, a supposedly healthy Schoebel, Maybin now, and Mitchell and Poz, but even if the other two spots work out, it as a whole doesn't look good enough to make me think we can be a dominant Defense. I hope I'm wrong and that our F.O. and coaching knows more than I do, but wouldn't you rather see a group like the Giants have, who seem to know there is little more valuable than a terrific and incessant rush, always penetrating, causing havoc in the backfield? If we can't do that, I don't think we'll be able to reach a vaulted status as one of the best. So, am I missing something, or did we not go after enough of those types of players this year? - (Everette Brown) comes to mind

As I look at our team, and am excited for this season, and occassionally see you tube videos of our 90's glory years, I'm liking the looks of and potential of our team, except the front seven seems suspect. If we're (the F.O. especially) trying to put it all together this year, then I'd say they did a pretty nice job - except the front seven looks weaker than I'd like. The O-line looks promising, it might take a while - I hope not - but they're a bunch of guys that seem like can become a nasty, rugged, overpowering bunch. The D-line and backers don't give me that feel. I know we've got Stroud, a supposedly healthy Schoebel, Maybin now, and Mitchell and Poz, but even if the other two spots work out, it as a whole doesn't look good enough to make me think we can be a dominant Defense. I hope I'm wrong and that our F.O. and coaching knows more than I do, but wouldn't you rather see a group like the Giants have, who seem to know there is little more valuable than a terrific and incessant rush, always penetrating, causing havoc in the backfield? If we can't do that, I don't think we'll be able to reach a vaulted status as one of the best. So, am I missing something, or did we not go after enough of those types of players this year? - (Everette Brown) comes to mind

Everette Brown was another Maybin type. Not big and overpowering. However, their specialty is what we lack, pass rushing. Last year were were the 14th ranked D in the league. We've improved since then. I think if we play the way we did last year, with this defense, we could easily be a top ten or fifteen D again. Let's see what the rest of the offseason brings.

You feel the front seven seem suspect.

You also feel that the O-line looks promising but might take a while.

So, why are you excited for this season?

I agree with much of your post, seriously, but I'm not at all excited going into this season.

You feel the front seven seem suspect.

You also feel that the O-line looks promising but might take a while.

So, why are you excited for this season?

I agree with much of your post, seriously, but I'm not at all excited going into this season.

I think they need a veteran linebacker, Bowen and Digreggio are coming off major injuries. To rely on rookies or Ellison

is pure folly.

I have been following this franchise since it's inception. With the exception of The Saban and the Polian eras we have always been 1-2 players short of being a relavant franchise.

A lot of ifs - if Schobel returns to form, if Maybin can step up in his rookie year, if McCargo can put those flashes together, if POZ can improve- a quality OLB and a run stuffing DT like Henderson are still needs IMO- Stroud can't play every down and the defense suffered without him especially against the run.

we are still 3 solid front 7 players away from being a contending team.which is better than we were last year.

Maybe someone will come out of left field and surprise us. McCargo?? who knows. 1-2 yrs away if we make the right moves.

If we add Pisa I see our front seven as an above average near playoff caliber. If we can get McCargo to play up to or near his potential than that bumps up our front seven to playoff caliber but thats unlikely to happen. Another move that would make me even happier with our front seven would be to add another DE to give Schobel a capable back up and give us a better rotation at the position.

If we add Pisa I see our front seven as an above average near playoff caliber. If we can get McCargo to play up to or near his potential than that bumps up our front seven to playoff caliber but thats unlikely to happen. Another move that would make me even happier with our front seven would be to add another DE to give Schobel a capable back up and give us a better rotation at the position.

Until the Bills can stop the run consistently, they do not have a playoff caliber defense - no matter the stats showed last year.

they could not stop the run last year and did nothing to improve in the off-season.

their LBs are still undersized.

their DTs and DEs are still undersized

Their DL added an even smaller DE to the mix - who won't see the field much if they don't stop the run on 1st and 2nd downs to force long yardage passing situations.

If Stroud goes down for an extended period, it will not be pretty.

Our LB's are by far our most overrated group.

We need another starting DT.

Our DE's will be just as bad as last year. Odds are a an undersized rookie DE will not be huge factor.

I think we have one of the worst front 7's in the NFL. Next year's top 3 offseason priorities will be DT, DE, and LB.

If Schobel's healthy I like our front 7 if not think we're in seriously trouble again. Say what you want but he's made Pro Bowls and we were 4-1 in games he played last year. Not to mention while yes Maybin might add some excitement think he's going to spend most of his rookie year as a 3rd down player which means we have question marks, at least in my eyes at our DT outside of Marcus Stroud and at Left DE granted Kelsay/Denney might be better with a healthy Schobel. As I'm not sold at all that Kyle Williams should be starting as much rather see him on the bench. Also Spencer Johnson to me did next to nothing last year.

our front seven will be effective this year. with our two aarons stepping up and rushing the passer on 3rd and long we will go from good but vulnerable in spots to top 5-10, with many more turnovers.

our front seven will be effective this year. with our two aarons stepping up and rushing the passer on 3rd and long we will go from good but vulnerable in spots to top 5-10, with many more turnovers.

how they do they get to 3rd and long when they can't stop the run??