2010 Bills head Coach Poll

Head coach wishlist - 2010  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Which currently unemployed/retired coach would you hire?

• Mike Holmgren
    • Jon Gruden
    • Mike Shanahan
    • Bill Cowher

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marty ball :thumbsup:

He would take this team and hire the proper supporting coaches and be in the playoffs next season. He had Wade Phillips as his DC and Cam Cameron as OC in SD at his last job. He might even be in the cost range the Bills could afford!

Cowher 9-12 mill a year some team like the skins are gonna open the vault for the "chin"

Shanahan 7-8 mill a year

Holmgren 7-9 mill a year

Gruden 5-6 mill a year

Marty 4-5 mill a year

Heck, at this point I'll take 14-2 :thumbsup:

Marty ball :thumbsup:

Heck, at this point I'll take 14-2...

...and a swift exit in the first playoff game. Still, better than what they have had for years.

Guest dog14787

I like Mike Shanahan allot and I could see him being a real good fit in Buffalo , but Bill Cowher is still the best choice if available.

Cowher finally won his Super Bowl, and it was one of the lamest Super Bowls ever. It took him about a decade and a half for him to do as much, and you folks clamoring for him crack me up.

What about those clamoring for Marty S, when he never even made an SB appearance in over 20 years as an NFL HC?

Honestly, Cower did something no other Bills coach has ever done, so I don't mind that it took him a few years to do so.

"Coach Chin" screaming at palyers coming off the field after a defensive mistake on the Bills' sidelines would be welcome sight versus the wrinkled mannequin we have now.

I voted Holmgren only on the contingency that TO would be back another year and Holmgren is a bit more offensively adept and utilizing his playmakers. The defense appears to be heading in the right direction and the Bills weakest link could possibly be at QB and the offense system in general.

I would prefer Cowher though because he is more of a chew you up and spit you out kind of coach. If the passing game craps the bed with Edwards, Cowher would be a better coach to utilize the new offensive line into a power oriented offense. The Bills would probably go OT or QB in the 1st round or both in the 1st two rounds next year to change the offensive philosophy.

Both are pipe dreams though because Ralph will not pay for either and Gruden would probably come the cheapest of them all.

Cower would never come here. Shanahan might but we would have to get into a bidding war and we all know RW won't pony up the cash. I would have to go off the board and pick Brian Billick.

I like Billick, too. But Chuckie's post-game press conferences are tops!

Guest dog14787
I voted Holmgren only on the contingency that TO would be back another year and Holmgren is a bit more offensively adept and utilizing his playmakers. The defense appears to be heading in the right direction and the Bills weakest link could possibly be at QB and the offense system in general.

I would prefer Cowher though because he is more of a chew you up and spit you out kind of coach. If the passing game craps the bed with Edwards, Cowher would be a better coach to utilize the new offensive line into a power oriented offense. The Bills would probably go OT or QB in the 1st round or both in the 1st two rounds next year to change the offensive philosophy.

Both are pipe dreams though because Ralph will not pay for either and Gruden would probably come the cheapest of them all.

Trent Edwards had a QB rating over 85 and the best completion percentage in the league with a sub par supporting cast.

In my opinion you took one of Buffalo's best and most promising players and called him our weakest link, to each his own I suppose. :thumbsup:

Trent Edwards had a QB rating over 85 and the best completion percentage in the league with a sub par supporting cast.

In my opinion you took one of Buffalo's best and most promising players and called him our weakest link, to each his own I suppose. :thumbsup:

I'm no Edwards basher, but his supporting cast is, for the most part, better than he, at this point in time. And, while a good completion % is nice, keep in mind his is inflated by his choice to check down far too often.

Trent is still potential, and a guy I like and support. But let's not pretend the Bills have a proven vet QB with marginal talent surrounding him. Trent has more to prove than Marshawn or Evans, for example.

I'm no Edwards basher, but his supporting cast is, for the most part, better than he, at this point in time. And, while a good completion % is nice, keep in mind his is inflated by his choice to check down far too often.

Trent is still potential, and a guy I like and support. But let's not pretend the Bills have a proven vet QB with marginal talent surrounding him. Trent has more to prove than Marshawn or Evans, for example.

I beg to differ,The Bills won a few of those early season games last season because of Trent and his come from behind success.

While he has Lee Evans and Josh Reed and Roscoe Parrish and no legit decent tight end. While all are good only of one which is a big play guy and that is Evans. This season should be better for the deep passing game simply because of TO

The OC came out publicly and stated that they didn't have that 2nd receiver to take some coverage away from Evans. Opposing teams knew if they rolled coverages to Evans it took away Buffalo's big play and Trent would go dump off to Jackson or Lynch, sometimes Reed. The OC also stated that the poor play of the O line didn't give Edwards enough time to go deep very often.

Looking at the current offensive line it makes me wonder why the bills don't pursue Levi Jones?

Guest dog14787

What, oh you mean our pro bowl 1 yard in a cloud of dust running back who can't seem to get a 100 yard game or even stay in the game for that matter and our so called number one WR who hasn't even came close to the numbers he should be yielding regardless of who's in at the QB position.

Now Trent Edwards has a decent TE and he has a legit number one WR plus other RB's he can turn to lets see how things pan out this year and who is right and who is wrong.

QB as the weakest link, get real :thumbsup:

First of all, this point of the post is based on the team basically sucking this upcoming year and who one would want as a head coach to replace the soon to be departed Jauron based on a suck a$$ year.

If the Bills do suck, one position that is going to be scrutinized heavily is the QB position. To this point in his career, Edwards has done very little to me or most anyone on this board, to show that he is a ligitimate everyday quarterback. You can take his stats and toss them out the window because it's his game management, demeanor under fire and leadership abilities that fans and coaches alike are going to look at when all is said and done.

I, as a fan of this team, am not going to be to happy next off season, to be looking for a new coach for one and a new quarterback. I would love everything to work out this year but the point of the poll is based on worst case scenario. I am not going to be thrilled if TE has his glorious QB rating over 85% and a great completion percentage bacause he is able to complete a 2 yard dump off on 90% of his throws because he is to gun shy and cement headed to stand in the pocket and find the open receiver.

It's time for Edwards to put up or shut up this year. The rest of the team doesn't have time to wait another year or two for Edwards to catch up with them. PERIOD

What, oh you mean our pro bowl 1 yard in a cloud of dust running back who can't seem to get a 100 yard game or even stay in the game for that matter and our so called number one WR who hasn't even came close to the numbers he should be yielding regardless of who's in at the QB position.

Now Trent Edwards has a decent TE and he has a legit number one WR plus other RB's he can turn to lets see how things pan out this year and who is right and who is wrong.

QB as the weakest link, get real :flirt:

Don't know that I called him the "weakest link", but he is far from the strongest, at this point in time. BTW, Lynch averaged over 4 yards per carry last year, so let's not use "1 yard in a cloud of dust" to describe him. It makes you sound like Skooby.

I agree with Mr Graham, on this one:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-8-51/...nt-Edwards.html

I would like to see Shanahan here, but be realistic. Ralph isn't going to pay any of these 4 guys what they will demand. If Jauron is gone, it will be another retread with a career losing record or close to it or a coordinator that he can pay minimum too (i.e. Greg Williams, Mularkey, etc.)

First of all, this point of the post is based on the team basically sucking this upcoming year and who one would want as a head coach to replace the soon to be departed Jauron based on a suck a$$ year.

If the Bills do suck, one position that is going to be scrutinized heavily is the QB position. To this point in his career, Edwards has done very little to me or most anyone on this board, to show that he is a ligitimate everyday quarterback. You can take his stats and toss them out the window because it's his game management, demeanor under fire and leadership abilities that fans and coaches alike are going to look at when all is said and done.

I, as a fan of this team, am not going to be to happy next off season, to be looking for a new coach for one and a new quarterback. I would love everything to work out this year but the point of the poll is based on worst case scenario. I am not going to be thrilled if TE has his glorious QB rating over 85% and a great completion percentage bacause he is able to complete a 2 yard dump off on 90% of his throws because he is to gun shy and cement headed to stand in the pocket and find the open receiver.

It's time for Edwards to put up or shut up this year. The rest of the team doesn't have time to wait another year or two for Edwards to catch up with them. PERIOD

Like you stated it is a TEAM game, and Edwards will only be a good as his offensive line allows.

It seemed like Jauron was starting off brilliantly in hiring an experienced OL coach and building the line with top notch free agent linemen while drafting for other positions. The bad started last year with the OC leaving and more importantly the line coach change. Now that his best O linemen is gone and the entire line is reshuffled with 2 rookies starting and an inexperienced coach teaching them, I think the team just took 5 steps backwards this off season.

If Edwards manages to stay upright even one series I'll be impressed. Like I've stated in earlier posts, the O line is a disaster waiting to happen. If the O line stinks it will cause the entire team to stink.

No QB can overcome a bad O Line, they won't be able to run the ball and all the fans will blame Marshawn. They won't be able to throw the ball and all the fans will blame Edwrards. The owner will then stand up and procailm it is lack of talent.

Like you stated it is a TEAM game, and Edwards will only be a good as his offensive line allows.

It seemed like Jauron was starting off brilliantly in hiring an experienced OL coach and building the line with top notch free agent linemen while drafting for other positions. The bad started last year with the OC leaving and more importantly the line coach change. Now that his best O linemen is gone and the entire line is reshuffled with 2 rookies starting and an inexperienced coach teaching them, I think the team just took 5 steps backwards this off season.

If Edwards manages to stay upright even one series I'll be impressed. Like I've stated in earlier posts, the O line is a disaster waiting to happen. If the O line stinks it will cause the entire team to stink.

No QB can overcome a bad O Line, they won't be able to run the ball and all the fans will blame Marshawn. They won't be able to throw the ball and all the fans will blame Edwrards. The owner will then stand up and procailm it is lack of talent.

The OC you refer to, Fairchild, was a disgrace.

Guest dog14787
Don't know that I called him the "weakest link", but he is far from the strongest, at this point in time. BTW, Lynch averaged over 4 yards per carry last year, so let's not use "1 yard in a cloud of dust" to describe him. It makes you sound like Skooby.

I agree with Mr Graham, on this one:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-8-51/...nt-Edwards.html

No more excuses is another way of saying Trent Edwards finally has all the necessary pieces in place to be successful in the National football league, but that's just on the field.

Lets not forget about our stellar Coaching staff. I don't really care who you want to refer to its not convincing me of anything.

Trent Edwards is doing his job, its time for the rest of the organization and his teammates around him to do theirs.