The Herd

major

I've been listening to Todd tonight, and then switched to Jason and as usual, had to shut him off after three minutes.

He is actually number one, or at least tied with Cowherd (Jason is a nicer guy and Cowherd is a a$$ with some game). What do you possibly see wrong with Todd Wright??

I don't listen to Wright on Sporting News Radio, but I used to listen to him, for years on the ESPN overnight show. I was amazed that it lasted so long. All the guy did was talk about himself, other celebrites named Todd, and his perverse desires for Britany Spears, and his obsession with "Saved By the Bell". These weren't things that came up every once in a while, it was almost every friggin' night... I have never seen an episdoe of "Saved By the Bell" in my life, but after listening to Wright spew on about it, as if it were some great cultural touchstone, I felt like I had seen them all.

I thought it was cool that Wright was big on hockey (not many national guys will give hockey any notice, unless they are telling everyone how irrelevant it is), but all he would do was interview some minor player, if his name also happened to be Todd, and ask them inane questions like "When you were growing up, did you know any other kids named Todd?", "Did other kids try to rhyme your name withe things like Todd the clod?", "If you hadn't been named Todd, what other name would you have chosen for yourself?".... and I am not even exagerrating. His show was brutal! They had this unforutnate need to these incredibly long sports updates every half hour, but they lasted like 10 minutes each. Wright would go through every stat, of every baseball score, with a music bite for every stat line..it ewas so repetitive.

Then when he was all done, he would have these game shows, which he tried to model after Match Game. The problem was, he was so long winded, in explaining how the game worked, by the time he was done, either none of the contestants still understood what they were supposed to do, or, better yet, one would hang up, likely because they got sick of being on hold for so long. The show was a train wreck. I am sure he is a nice guy (I have seen him on Fox South West doing Tampa Bay Lightening reports from time to time), but his show was terrible. I realize though, Jason Smith, who replaced him, is much the same, as it Bob Valvano on the ESPN weekend overnight show. ESPN radio in general, seems to think they are above taking phone calls for the most part, so they rely on the personalities to carry the show...these guys are just boring, repetitive and tiresome....

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow - I don't hear Wright do any of that stuff........I started listening when my hours changed his last year on ESPN. I thought he was really good and when I found out he was on for ten years, I figured that finally I had found somebody who is rock solid and will be on a long time.........Next thing I know, he got fired! (The reason is that he got something like his 3rd DUI).

I found him on sporting news radio last year, and have never heard him do game shows (only once a week, he does a draft of different things with the other guys, and callers, and I didn't like it at first, but now I do)........I've never heard him mention anything about his name, or other Todds, don't remember him talking about Britney or Saved by the Bell........and, I listen to him probably 15 or so hours a week.

I wonder if he just got better as time went on. I heard Brad Riter when he first subbed for Bulldog on WBEN, and thought this is a joke. I thought This is so bad - this guy couldn't possibly be looking at a career in radio, and he's just goofing around. Now, he's my favorite local (maybe overall) guy on the radio.

Wow - I don't hear Wright do any of that stuff........I started listening when my hours changed his last year on ESPN. I thought he was really good and when I found out he was on for ten years, I figured that finally I had found somebody who is rock solid and will be on a long time.........Next thing I know, he got fired! (The reason is that he got something like his 3rd DUI).

I found him on sporting news radio last year, and have never heard him do game shows (only once a week, he does a draft of different things with the other guys, and callers, and I didn't like it at first, but now I do)........I've never heard him mention anything about his name, or other Todds, don't remember him talking about Britney or Saved by the Bell........and, I listen to him probably 15 or so hours a week.

I wonder if he just got better as time went on. I heard Brad Riter when he first subbed for Bulldog on WBEN, and thought this is a joke. I thought This is so bad - this guy couldn't possibly be looking at a career in radio, and he's just goofing around. Now, he's my favorite local (maybe overall) guy on the radio.

Or maybe he got canned by ESPN for those very things?

In all fairness to him, Jason Smith and Bob Valvano (the other ESPN overnight guys) are pretty wretched, and run their shows similarly to what Wright used to do. Maybe it is more indicative of ESPN than Wright.

He definitely got canned for the DUIs. I don't think he would get canned after ten years for his quality, especially if they then put in Jason Smith.

I agree with you on him. I can take Bobby V for about an hour or so, but I swear after 5 minutes with Jason, I say this guy is an idiot, and can listen no longer. I really think he's a good guy and I feel bad that he sucks.

I was listening to the Herd on ESPN radio about 40 minutes ago. On it, Collin Cowherd was ripping the Bills for signing TO. He was saying in part because of the VH1 cameras that will be following TO around our voluntary mini camps next week. Collin said that the circus was coming to Buffalo and the only thing that is left behind at a circus is hay and a huge pile of elephant crap. He said this is what Buffalo would realize it got after this year with TO. He went even further to say that Dick Jauron will not be able to control this guy and that Belechick would have never brought in TO. He had a good time ripping Buffalo and TO in particular.

what exactly do you expect from that show?