Demetrius Bell

Will be a better LT this year than Langston Walker. Walker is a kind of old, fat, overweight giant. He's going to embarrass himself trying to block on the left side. The right side, fine, he can block over there against the chris kelsay's of the world. But 95% of RE's should be able to beat him consistently. Even if Bell is weak, he is athletic enough to keep up with these guys, and you would think he is at least strong enough to push around the Freeney's, Schobel's, Maybin's, and Adalius Thomas's of the world. Being a LT is not about being 6'8 and having no agility, its about being athletic and quick and at least average strength(which Bell should've developed).

Even if Walker is the better football player per se, he will absolutely suck on the left side. And please don't point to the first few games last year. There will undoubtedly be at least 12 times Walker's guy simply runs around him, if he starts at LT.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude why are you so harsh on Walker? Seriously, he held his own last year. I don't think any of your logic as warranted, and you certainly did little to justify your stance on Bell.

Left tackle and right tackle are completely different stories. If Walker were to start at RT, i wouldn't whine at all. He did hold his own last year. I simply fail to see him keeping up with those guys at all. Bell is quick, looked halfway decent in preseason, and seems much better fit to play LT.

Left tackle and right tackle are completely different stories. If Walker were to start at RT, i wouldn't whine at all. He did hold his own last year. I simply fail to see him keeping up with those guys at all. Bell is quick, looked halfway decent in preseason, and seems much better fit to play LT.

In other words all you're able to come up with is: Bell is faster than Walker.

Will be a better LT this year than Langston Walker. Walker is a kind of old, fat, overweight giant. He's going to embarrass himself trying to block on the left side. The right side, fine, he can block over there against the chris kelsay's of the world. But 95% of RE's should be able to beat him consistently. Even if Bell is weak, he is athletic enough to keep up with these guys, and you would think he is at least strong enough to push around the Freeney's, Schobel's, Maybin's, and Adalius Thomas's of the world. Being a LT is not about being 6'8 and having no agility, its about being athletic and quick and at least average strength(which Bell should've developed).

Even if Walker is the better football player per se, he will absolutely suck on the left side. And please don't point to the first few games last year. There will undoubtedly be at least 12 times Walker's guy simply runs around him, if he starts at LT.

It's also about experience at the position, which Bell had little of in college and none of in NFL games and one year of NFL practices.

In another year or two, we will find out whether he is a project that worked or one of the much larger numbers of projects who failed.

What do you know...Walker played LT & RT in Oakland before he became a Free Agent and signed with the Bills...He played pretty decent for the Raiders, thats why the Bills signed him to the 5 year 25 million contract in 2007...

Plus when Walker was called on to play LT last season during Peters' holdout...he outperformed Peters BIG TIME!

I agree with the idea of giving D.Bell every chance in the world of starting at LT. He sounds very athletic and could develop into a solid player, however L.Walker did a good job of holding his own last year...I do remember L.Peters having people blow by him as well, sounds like Bills will not miss a beat with L.Walker at LT rather than the Attitude challenged Peters. I feel the Bills selected Maybing instead of Oher, because the Bills have confidence in who they have.

Sorry i think our Oline coach knows more than you do. Besides look at the film Langston is very quick and i think he will do fine.

I hope you're right! If not, then Bell sholud do ok, he's athletic enough...

I wish the Bills had started Bell at LT at the end of last year, during the 2 games Peters missed. At least we would have had a better sense of where Bell stood.

Totally agree- said it last year

Walker might be able to do a good job at LT if he comes in at 340 or under, not at the 380 he played at last year - when he played LT last year they rotated a lot of help to the left side

As for Bell just because he didn't have ideal strength coming out of college - doesn't mean he's at that level now- all reports have him working out consistently for over a year- remember he never played football until college- he played basketball.

COLLEGE:

Did not play football at any level prior to August 2005…never played offensive tackle until three weeks before the 2006 season opener at Kansas…was the Demons’ offensive line MVP in action at Kansas, the first of 22 consecutive starts at left offensive tackle in his final two seasons of football…Entered Northwestern State on a basketball scholarship.

2007:

Became the 39th All-American player in school history and the eighth player to earn that honor in Scott Stoker’s six seasons as head coach…All-Southland Conference and All-Louisiana first-team selection…only one of four Division I athletes to play both basketball and football…registered 52 knockdown blocks and graded over 81.82% for blocking consistency, helping the offense generate 3,996 yards, an average of 363.3 yards per game…helped clear the way for junior tailback Byron Lawrence to lead the conference with a 125.1 yards per game average…served as offensive captain.

2006:

All-Louisiana second-team selection after shifting to the offensive line just three weeks prior to the season opener, taking over left tackle duties…helped an offensive unit average 326.8 yards per game and limiting defenses to 21 sacks on 326 pass plays…resumed his basketball career after the season, becoming a key inside force down the stretch to help the Demons win the Southland Conference East Division Championship

2005:

Began his football career as a defensive end…made 11 tackles (8 solo) with a stop behind the line of scrimmage in his first-ever football game and only action of the season against Nicholls State

I wish the Bills had started Bell at LT at the end of last year, during the 2 games Peters missed. At least we would have had a better sense of where Bell stood.

Or where he lay...flat on his back, probably. The guy was practically the weakest OL invited to the combine with his draft class. Real muscle mass takes time to build if you have to pee in a cup for a living.

It will be interesting to get a pic or two of Bell from the OTAs scheduled later this month...

yeah, i really don't see where all of this hate is coming towards Langston Walker.

He was really solid last year, and though he played RT and not LT, was more worth his contract at seasons end than that guy who was holding out for more money but eventually returned and gave up something like 11 sacks or something.

Stop drinking the haterade, Walker is just fine.

Or where he lay...flat on his back, probably. The guy was practically the weakest OL invited to the combine with his draft class. Real muscle mass takes time to build if you have to pee in a cup for a living.

It will be interesting to get a pic or two of Bell from the OTAs scheduled later this month...

From the time of the combine (early March) to the final 2 games (late December) is almost 10 full months. You can easily add real muscle mass within this time frame.

From the time of the combine (early March) to the final 2 games (late December) is almost 10 full months. You can easily add real muscle mass within this time frame.

You can start to get to work, but its tough to do much in-season...mostly, guys just work on maintenance. It takes hours in the gym to bulk up (and keep it on) and those are tough to come by with the limited time they have to work with Sunday to Sunday.

and you can tell all of that about a 2nd-year, 7th-round draft pick that hasn't played a down on the OL in the NFL? wow, you're good.

seriously though, where do people get this stuff about bell? he may have a LT body, and he may be athletic, but wouldn't you want to see the guy play a game or two before you annoint him the best LT on the team, able to handle dwight freeney and adalius thomas?

you know there's usually a reason that every team passes on a guy 6 times in the draft.

Dude why are you so harsh on Walker? Seriously, he held his own last year. I don't think any of your logic as warranted, and you certainly did little to justify your stance on Bell.

the only thing i can say against walker is that he's started 5 career games at LT (4 with oakland). In those games, his main opposition (RDE) registered 6.5 sacks.

that's not good.