Economy still rolling along

Okay, so I am no economist, but tell me how we add 337,000 new jobs last month and this is such a great thing and in the exact same time period unemployment went up from 5.4% to 5.5%? Bush didn't decide to overhaul simple math because he got a "mandate", did he?

Seems to me like we lost about 30,000.

103450[/snapback]

You do know, of course, that they're two completely different numbers based on completely different things. Job creation is based on employer payroll, unemployment is based on people not working but actively looking.

In fact, some would consider high job creation combined with a blip in unemployment a good thing, since it means there's enough of a work force available to fill those new jobs. If we'd had 300k jobs created and an unemployment rate of 2.5%...that would be a problem, as there'd be no available work force to fill the increase in jobs.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You do know, of course, that they're two completely different numbers based on completely different things.  Job creation is based on employer payroll, unemployment is based on people not working but actively looking.

In fact, some would consider high job creation combined with a blip in unemployment a good thing, since it means there's enough of a work force available to fill those new jobs.  If we'd had 300k jobs created and an unemployment rate of 2.5%...that would be a problem, as there'd be no available work force to fill the increase in jobs.

103476[/snapback]

But we don't have that problem. I do know they are two different numbers. It still seems a net loss that 367,000 actual people entered "the workforce" last month and 337,000 new jobs entered the workforce last month, with apparently 70,000 of them temporary construction jobs to fix damage from the hurricanes.

Well they did open another Walmart superstore a few miles from where I live, so I guess there are more jobs being created.  Too bad they pay less, require people with families to work nights and weekends and be away from their children when they're home, and force vendors to increase importing products made by cheap overseas labor....

Of course at some point walmart will have to increase their prices as the dollar tanks more and more against other currencies - all of those foreign made imported good will cost more to buy.

According to the analyst from JP Morgan who I heard on the radio, the results arise, as is correctly pointed out, from construction jobs in Florida after the hurricanes, as well as "normal" (whatever that is) growth. He didn't break down the numbers.

The INCREASE in unemployment is attributed to those "discouraged" workers who are invisible because they aren't looking for work. Apparently they become "encouraged" and are now actively looking. Their numbers drove up the unemployment rate.

It was also stated that October job cuts in excess of 100,000 have been announced (highest monthly figure in over a year) so if those cuts are actually implemented it will offset this increase. I guess we just have to wait and see.

According to the analyst from JP Morgan who I heard on the radio, the results arise, as is correctly pointed out, from construction jobs in Florida after the hurricanes, as well as "normal" (whatever that is) growth.  He didn't break down the numbers.

The INCREASE in unemployment is attributed to those "discouraged" workers who are invisible because they aren't looking for work.  Apparently they become "encouraged" and are now actively looking.  Their numbers drove up the unemployment rate.

It was also stated that October job cuts in excess of 100,000 have been announced (highest monthly figure in over a year) so if those cuts are actually implemented it will offset this increase.  I guess we just have to wait and see.

103815[/snapback]

Why do I get the feeling that you'd be happy about this.

I'm glad job numbers are up, that's a good sign for all of us. 

But why is it that when job numbers are down, it's "not the president's job to create jobs, it's business' job," yet when numbers are up, the president gets the credit?  I have difficulty reconciling that.

Please don't take this as a shot at the current administration, it's an observation based on GOP & Dem rhetoric over my lifetime.  It seems that, depending on who holds the office, that both sides are equally guilty of this.

103347[/snapback]

Political stevestojan. Of course it is the economic conditions (ie., businesses) that create or shed jobs. The sitting President doesn't generally have a whole lot to do with the current economic cycle, as policies often take years to impact at the jobs level. IMO, that is why more informed and intelligent voters understood that Kerry's railing against Bush for jobs loss was nothing but BS. People understand that the economy entered a down cycle after the bubble burst in 2000, with the problem exacerbated by the terrorist attacks in 2001. And that economic conditions have been improving over the past year or so and should continue in that direction.

Ice and BF said there aren't any jobs.

103039[/snapback]

No Like pasta said, there are several new jobs....paying $8.00 per hour. too bad it takes more than 2x that to pay your bills :D

so bankruptcy rates are at an all time high causing more economic problems. Nice....

No Like pasta said, there are several new jobs....paying $8.00 per hour. too bad it takes more than 2x that to pay your bills  :D 

so bankruptcy rates are at an all time high causing more economic problems.  Nice....

103844[/snapback]

If your situation is that dire, perhaps you should have spent the time improving your skills rather than posting here over 11 thousand times.

If your situation is that dire, perhaps you should have spent the time improving your skills rather than posting here over 11 thousand times.

103855[/snapback]

Damn man I wish I had thought of that :D CCSP, CCNA, CCNP, MCSA and on and on and on I guess just doesn't cut it anymore. :D

Damn man I wish I had thought of that  :D  CCSP, CCNA, CCNP, MCSA and on and on and on I guess just doesn't cut it anymore.  :D

103858[/snapback]

Sorry, I have no idea what all those initial mean. But apparently they are not enough to allow you to pay your bills?

Sorry, I have no idea what all those initial mean.  But apparently they are not enough to allow you to pay your bills?

103869[/snapback]

LOL nope. Not any longer they aren't. I need my own buisness then I can take advantage of all of the great tax breaks they get :D

LOL nope.  Not any longer they aren't.  I need my own buisness then I can take advantage of all of the great tax breaks they get  :D

103870[/snapback]

Tax breaks?!?!? Congratuations...you must be rich! Because we all know that only the "rich" get tax breaks(Senator Kerry said so).

p.s. how did you accomplish that? Who paid for your education? How did you manage to achieve enough professional success to get to a point of having the competence and financial ability to start your own business?

No Like pasta said, there are several new jobs....paying $8.00 per hour. too bad it takes more than 2x that to pay your bills  :D 

so bankruptcy rates are at an all time high causing more economic problems.  Nice....

103844[/snapback]

See but then you have to get 2 of those $8 jobs to make do - which means there are 2 new jobs to count in the national numbers.

Tax breaks?!?!?

tons of breaks for small buisnesses.

p.s. how did you accomplish that? Who paid for your education?

Mostly me thanks.

How did you manage to achieve enough professional success to get to a point of having the competence and financial ability to start your own business?

It all depends on what you are offering and how you start it.

Tax breaks?!?!?

tons of breaks for small buisnesses.

p.s. how did you accomplish that? Who paid for your education?

Mostly me thanks.

How did you manage to achieve enough professional success to get to a point of having the competence and financial ability to start your own business?

It all depends on what you are offering and how you start it.

103883[/snapback]

Really? Paid for your own education and worked hard on your way up to the point of being able to start your own business. And now receive tax breaks to assist you in being successful in that venture and hopefully create some jobs.

Now, why would anyone support a political party that would discourage people from following that type of path? Why would we want a society that assumes that it's citizens couldn't achieve such things? Why would we assume that someone couldn't start out working at Wal Mart and end up working hard and achieving similar success?

After all, didn't Wal Mart start out as a Mom & Pop operation? So, at what point in the development of ICE Inc. will all your hard work be ignored and it will be ok to label you as a thieving, money grubbing bastard?

LOL nope.  Not any longer they aren't.  I need my own buisness then I can take advantage of all of the great tax breaks they get  :D

103870[/snapback]

NOW you're talking about personal accountability. Way to go ICE. First BF. Now you. I feel like singing!

103844[/snapback]

More rhetoric. Those are figures you pulled out of your ass, as usual, because they fit your lame argument. It's almost as valid as saying the Clinton administration was responsible for that economy. Yeah, they invented the internet, spawned the information age, and held down energy prices with their brilliant policies. :D

Bankruptcy rates are high because people spend more money than they take in. Virtually everyone lives far beyond their means with nothing set aside for a rainy day. Tough to feel sorry for people who live in 2000 SF homes, drive cars that are less than 3 years old, own 100+ DVDs, pay over $50 a month for cable TV and nearly $200 a month for phone service, have big screen TVs, credit card debt over $15000, while having less than a month's pay in the bank.

Personal responsibility. More people should try it.

"Those who choose security over freedom, deserve neither."