Bengals Make Kicker Franchise Player

This may be the craziest thing I've heard come out of free agency this year. Who makes their kicker their franchise player? Wouldn't they have been better off making that offer to someone like Housch? Anyone who thinks we have the worst FO in the league might want to re-evaluate their position.

If they really like their kicker and don't want to lose him, it's not a bad deal. Look @ the cap figure for tagging a kicker as opposed to tagging a wideout. That's the reason Bill Polian tagged Dallas Clark while they were looking to negotiate a long term deal w/ him (which they were able to do).

This may be the craziest thing I've heard come out of free agency this year. Who makes their kicker their franchise player? Wouldn't they have been better off making that offer to someone like Housch? Anyone who thinks we have the worst FO in the league might want to re-evaluate their position.

Considering our former front office released said kicker go perhaps we were crazier.

It's actually a very smart football move. A lot of teams consistantly go into the offseason looking to find a kicker. Cincinnati has one that they like and they are comfortable with. So wouldn't common sense tell you that he'd be worth what the top five are kickers are making?

It's actually a very smart football move. A lot of teams consistantly go into the offseason looking to find a kicker. Cincinnati has one that they like and they are comfortable with. So wouldn't common sense tell you that he'd be worth what the top five are kickers are making?

Agreed. I don't see what is dumb about this. I assume they don't have a player at another position who they need/want to franchise. If they franchised a K instead of a player at another position, you might have a point.

He was franchised a while ago...on Feb. 19th.

Considering our former front office released said kicker go perhaps we were crazier.

Exactly. We had Shayne Graham a few years back and we let him go for Mike Hollis. And I agree with the other posters, for what it takes for a franchise K, it's well worth it it for Graham. He's been the most consistent part of the team for years. Not to mention one of the few you never hear about in the news. Go Opie.

Your post makes it appear kickers are one of those disposable positions which any team can find on disposal bins. There were a couple of idiots like that on draft show.

Of and just to let you know the Patriots* picked a long snapper on draft day instead of a "real" football player.

Your post makes it appear kickers are one of those disposable positions which any team can find on disposal bins. There were a couple of idiots like that on draft show.

Of and just to let you know the Patriots* picked a long snapper on draft day instead of a "real" football player.

+1

With the injury to Palmer you can say he was the most productive Bengal the last few years, so it makes sense. Who else on that team would YOU franchise?

Patriots did it with Vinatieri at one time I believe

they obviously were not going to pay Housch so why franchise him and use it on a player they wanted to resign but didnt want to take a chance on losing

I posted this back in February. These guys were kickers who were franchised:

Jason Elam and Adam Vinatieri in 2002

Adam Vinatieri in 2005

Josh Brown in 2007

Also, the Lions are considering tagging Jason Hanson. (edit: They later signed him to a 4 year contract eliminating the need to franchise him)

As Ramius later pointed out, Michael Koenen, the Falcons punter was also franchised.

Okay, okay. Maybe it wasn't so dumb afterall. Just saying they seemed to have bigger needs with players they should have kept rather than holding onto their kicker, who we, by the way, thought was so bad we cut him. I can admit when I'm wrong and since no one else seems to think this was a stupid move, maybe it wasn't.

Okay, okay. Maybe it wasn't so dumb afterall. Just saying they seemed to have bigger needs with players they should have kept rather than holding onto their kicker, who we, by the way, thought was so bad we cut him. I can admit when I'm wrong and since no one else seems to think this was a stupid move, maybe it wasn't.

Maybe not stupid but very rare.

He was their biggest need which tag could fix. Kickers have become popular to franchise because of the low franchise number.

He had issues when Bills had him as kicker which is why Hollis was kept. Place kickers often float camp to team to camp to team until they get the right combination of seasoning, coaches and snapper. He was in Buffalo for part of a season before losing to Hollis from Jacksonville who had a lot of experience but unknown to Bills was on last leg. Graham needed more seasoning in Carolina before he hung on with Bengals.

Mike Hollis is doing ok for himself by the way after 9 years teaching kicking and Moorman credits his development partly to Hollis.