Concerns about the No Huddle

I've wondered over the years why more teams haven't tried the no huddle offense. It worked so well in Buffalo, and it seems like it should be able to work if ran effectively. My concern here, as posted, is not that the Bills plan or might be planning on using the no huddle. What bothers me is that if they are planning on it, It Shouldn't Have Been Made Public!!! The Patriots will now game plan for that. I'm all for seeing it, and, as I said, if done right it is a good scheme, but the Patriots are great at game planning. I'm guessing they'll have an answer for it, or at least be able to deal with it a lot better than if it were kept secret. And, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they use the no huddle against us in that first game. Bellichek has a kind of weird humor like that. Anyway, I like the idea, I just wish they would've kept it secret, so we could have taken the Pat's by surprise.

I've wondered over the years why more teams haven't tried the no huddle offense. It worked so well in Buffalo, and it seems like it should be able to work if ran effectively. My concern here, as posted, is not that the Bills plan or might be planning on using the no huddle. What bothers me is that if they are planning on it, It Shouldn't Have Been Made Public!!! The Patriots will now game plan for that. I'm all for seeing it, and, as I said, if done right it is a good scheme, but the Patriots are great at game planning. I'm guessing they'll have an answer for it, or at least be able to deal with it a lot better than if it were kept secret. And, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they use the no huddle against us in that first game. Bellichek has a kind of weird humor like that. Anyway, I like the idea, I just wish they would've kept it secret, so we could have taken the Pat's by surprise.

Most likely if a team showed up with bazookas, catapults and androids, Belichick would have a defensive scheme for it. Besides, it would have been a surprise for about 1 series.

Dick will totally fool the Pat's by switching from a no-huddle single back set to a conventional double tight end running formation using the great run blocking of the two Deriks on the ends and Shawn as an H-back/ fullback .

Dick will totally fool the Pat's by switching from a no-huddle single back set to a conventional double tight end running formation using the great run blocking of the two Deriks on the ends and Shawn as an H-back/ fullback .

Before, or after DJ steps on the rake coming out of the tunnel?

I agree somewhat. I was thinking the same thing myself to an extent. But to think that we could have lasted the entire summer of training camp, mini camp, and pre-season and not show our hand to anyone we are smoking rocks. This is the NFL, teams dont really do things like this and catch people off guard. And if they did pull it out for the first game and the first time I would be worried that we havent practiced enough. Id rather plan for it and practice it as much as possible for the first game.

I agree somewhat. I was thinking the same thing myself to an extent. But to think that we could have lasted the entire summer of training camp, mini camp, and pre-season and not show our hand to anyone we are smoking rocks. This is the NFL, teams dont really do things like this and catch people off guard. And if they did pull it out for the first game and the first time I would be worried that we havent practiced enough. Id rather plan for it and practice it as much as possible for the first game.

"The guards are in the backfield! The running back is lined up to the right! And the quarterback isn't even there!"

Anyone?

Everyone needs to appreciate:

1.) The difference between a no-huddle and a hurry-up.

2.) Whether or not the QB is calling his own plays while running either.

Doesn't make a damn bit of difference if it's public knowledge and everyone knows about it.

GO BILLS!!!

No huddle means shotgun every play. Im not a big fan of that. Although it may work with the recievers we have.

It really makes sense. In the no huddle, the offense dictates the tempo and imposes their will on the defense. Why let Trent sit in the pocket, read the defense, allow the defense to change up before the snap, and then react? Plus, Trent is great at the short to intermediate passes. Then the pass opens up the run. If I had a $100 dollar bill for every time Thurman converted 3rd and 6 on a draw, I would be a wealthy man.

As Mark Gaughan mentioned in his live chat, the Bills had the no huddle package last year but between the slightly changed offensive language (Schonert), the holdout of Peters and the injury to Josh Reed, the team didn't have the cohesiveness to execute it, even in practices. So they used it sparingly.

Every team has a no huddle system so I agree with mrags, it's not going to take anyone by surprise. Talking about it during the offseason is not going to change the results IMO.

The Wildcat on the other hand was a big surprise because it hadn't really been used much in the NFL for a long time. The no huddle on the other hand has been in use for well over a decade and in hurry up situations for much longer than that.

I have several concerns over the Bills running the "no huddle".

First,where is Rusty Jones now? The Bills strength and conditioning trainer who had the players so well conditioned that they could go to Florida in September where the temperatures and humidity were so high that the heat was sweltering the Bills players out performed the dolphins because they were in better condition. That 90's Bills team could go up and down the field no problem,this current team will be gasping for breath after the first 6 plays,that is if they don't injure something in that time.

One of Jim Kelly's greatest assets was his ability to run the two minute drill,he worked under "mouse' Davis in the USFL and ran the "Run and Shoot" offense. So running the no huddle was not that big of a deal for him. Plus the fact that he had started calling his own plays. The offense was ready because they already had some "CONTINUITY". Most of the players running that no huddle offense that started in 1989 had been playing on the team for a few years and were already an explosive offense.

Trent Edwards might have the ability to call his own plays,read defenses on the fly and call plays 2 or 3 at a time,who knows. But the guys still has a ton to learn from what I've seen,he will be entering his 3rd pro season and If I'm not mistaken Bill Walsh stated it usually takes 4 years of playing to fully develop a QB,so this might be putting even more pressure on a young QB still learning the ropes.

What helped make that no huddle offense so great for the Bills was Thurman Thomas and that amazing running game,plus the "spread" offense and "counter trey' blocking scheme the O line used to open holes.

The last few years the Bills have had one of the biggest O lines in the game and it seemed like they couldn't open a can of tuna much less a big hole for Marshawn Lynch. Zone blocking sucks!!! It looks like Lynch is getting hit at the line of scrimmage and carrying defensive players 3-5 yards before he would go down. Not to mention the fact that Edwards never had time to throw deep, even his own OC stated that fact.

Now the team traded away their best pass blocker and are installing two rookies on the line and then expects to run a high powered offense, uh huh sure...

The Bills do have some talent on offense this season no question, I'd rather see them trying to establish a better running game and setup the pass using more play action then the constant shotgun formations I know they will use, it might help keep Edwards off the IR.

If it makes you feel better, the Bills current strength and conditioning coach, John Allaire is considered a Rusty Jones disciple having worked under him for 3 years.

It doesn't... seems like the Bills have had far more injuries since Jones left, not to mention some of the linemen that are huge and get pushed around by smaller players.

People need to recognize that the no huddle isn't any kind of "secret", or "surprise". It's just another tool in the offensive arsenal.

The advantages of the no huddle are that the offense dictates the pace of play, and generally speaking the defense can't change personnel.

The disadvantages of the no huddle are that the defense gets less time to rest, and generally speaking the offense doesn't change personnel, because then the defense would be allowed to as well.

I'm a little foggy on the details since it's been so long, but a number of years ago the Bills had a playoff game against the Bengals. The Bengals had started using the no huddle not as a tool but more of a gimmic, where they would change personnel, and then quickly run up to the line of scrimmage and snap the ball while the defense was still changing, to either draw a penalty or force them to use a timeout. A few days before the game, the Bills filed some sort of appeal to a rules committee, and got a ruling clarifying that if the offense changes personnel, they have to give the defense adequate time to change as well, or it's a penalty on the offense. I have a very clear recollection of times the Bills ran the no huddle, seeing Kelly just standing in the shotgun, waiting for the defense to get lined up, before calling for the snap. That's because the Bills had substituted personnel, and per rule were required to give the defense the opportunity to do same.

The other disadvantages of the no huddle are it greatly limits the number of formations and plays to choose from. Everything is shotgun, and the total number of plays to choose from are pretty limited. For example, in the Kelly era, they only had about 5 different running plays.

Hmmm....remember all those off seasons where the Bills coach (pick one, post-Wade) talked about getting the tight end involved in the offense...you think if they hadn't opened up their big mouths, it might have actually happned? :thumbsup:

It doesn't... seems like the Bills have had far more injuries since Jones left, not to mention some of the linemen that are huge and get pushed around by smaller players.

I think this is a statistical fact...not just a hunch....