Tight Ends in Rookie & 2nd year

I haven't done any research on the topic and was hoping to get input from anyone with more knowledge regarding the topic. WRs usually take about 3 years to hit their potential as a receiving threat. Is this the same/similar with TEs? I have high hopes for Nelson coming into the lineup and contributing right away, but I wasn't sure if the learning curve was like that of young WRs. Anybody have good examples?

I haven't done any research on the topic and was hoping to get input from anyone with more knowledge regarding the topic. WRs usually take about 3 years to hit their potential as a receiving threat. Is this the same/similar with TEs? I have high hopes for Nelson coming into the lineup and contributing right away, but I wasn't sure if the learning curve was like that of young WRs. Anybody have good examples?

i havent done any research either, but i know john carlson for seattle had a pretty good rookie year last season

I don't think there is any formula for success. Some WR's take a few years to develop, some come right out of the draft and play well and others are busts no matter how long a team keeps them around for.

I think he is going to have a fine year for a rookie....and have us really wanting to see what he does in his second year with a little more weight and strength on him......

The thing is.....he isn't the go to guy in this offense......teams are going to be paying special attention to Evans and TO.....which means he is probably going to be running free down the field quite a bit.

I have said it before and I will say it again....a legit pass catching tight end playmaker in this offense will put Trent Edwards in the pro bowl......it just caters to his skill set of having good accuracy/arm strength for the intermediate level of the field and doesn't go downtown all that often like a cannon armed QB. Nelson is going to become Edwards safety wooby.

Then when TO jumps ship in a year (and I think we all pretty much expect that) Edwards will have his chemistry with his new tight end and he will put up HUGE numbers in his second year.

JMO

Yeah tight ends usually have decent numbers their rookie year and than explode in their second or third year. There have been exceptions to the rule like Jeremy Shockey who had great numbers his rookie year. But a tight end is not like a WR were they take a while to develop but they are not like some positions were a rookie can come in a put up monster numbers right away.

With Nelson I don't want to sound like a downer but I won't expect much form him his rookie year. I would think that if he got 25-45 receptions than I would be celebrating that. I think that he needs to be a role player for the offense as far as receiving goes and focus on blocking and running routs at a pro level. Than in his second year he needs to become an average to above average blocker and than take that step up to become a good receiving tight end. Nelson seems like by year two he will be above average and on the rise and than by year three he needs to come in and be a top flight tight end

Dont know if I am giving anything substantial here; just went to NFL stats and checked elite, and formerly elite TE's in the league.

ALL OF THEM across the board had eerily similar numbers in year one. 25-35 catches. 300 yards. 2-5 tds.

You will also notice, most of them had there breakout years in year two with double the production.

Check it out at espn, cnnsi or nfl.com. Its pretty standard across the board. Gonzalez, Gates, Cooley, Heap, Crumpler, Franks, etc......

I suppose 30 catches, 300 yards and 2.5 tds is the over/under for Nelson if he ends up being the starter in year one.

OK- Here you go everyone. Rookie year production from good to former good tightends. I left out Winslow bc his rookie year was his 3rd NFL season-80+ catches though...pretty good.

As you will see, there numbers are all pretty much the same as rookies.

G GS Rec Yds Avg TD

10 10 29 340 11.7 1 D Clark

16 9 37 314 8.5 6 C Cooley

16 12 25 330 13.2 3 A Crumpler

14 12 34 352 10.4 5 O Daniels

10 8 20 265 13.3 3 V Davis

16 13 34 363 10.7 1 B Franks

15 11 24 389 16.2 2 A Gates

16 0 33 368 11.2 2 T Gonzalez

12 6 16 206 12.9 1 T Heap

16 6 48 535 11.1 3 D Keller

16 16 39 485 12.4 4 R McMichael

16 15 39 459 11.8 6 H Miller

16 16 44 444 10.1 3 Z Miller

14 4 39 391 10 2 G Olsen

13 5 18 286 15.9 4 T Scheffler

15 14 74 894 12.1 2 J Shockey

15 7 35 347 9.9 1 J Whitten

Supposidly he compares to Sheffler.....so we will see if he posts similar numbers

I hope he see's a few more than 18 catches, but the TD # wouldn't be bad...I really hope he can compare to H.Miller or C. Cooley in stats.

Damn!...shockey had a huge rookie year, but his TD's look horrible compared to his #'s

little off subject...does anyone feel Hardy makes the field much this season with T.O, Evans and Nelson on the field?..not to mention Reed or Johnson...I just don't see him being put out there much unless Buffalo goes like 4-5 wide