I always defend WGR...

ans4e64

if I were Andy Roth this thread would be all I needed to give Schopp a bonus.

21 pages about a local sports talk personality. PEOPLE CARE, that is all that matters.

Yeah, 21 pages of people who mostly don't listen to the station, talking about how much they can't stand it, is always a good thing :censored:

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a couple of things:

1) Schopp grew up on Grand Island and has spent almost his entire life in WNY so I'm not sure where this idea that he is some outsider who hates the area comes from.

2) One problem WGR has that stations in bigger cities don't have is the lack of year round MAJOR LEAGUE local sports. Many have said they ought to try to talk baseball and the Bisons, or Lacrosse and the Bandits, but the audience is just too small. Too bad, because it seems like some local college, Bisons, and Bandits talk could add some variety.

If you are in NY, Chicago, Boston, etc. you can talk NBA and MLB right now. If the Sabres cared about putting out a winning product, the NHL playoffs could bridge some of that gap. but you cannot expect that every year either. There are long stretches where WGR has to reach to find enough material for several hours of programming, and it suffers as a result.

3) I DO agree that at times WGR seems very "anti-Bills" especially Schopp. Partly this is due to the fact that the team has stunk for years, so he plays his schtick to drum up callers. I think Schopp represents that part of the WNY sports fan psyche that feels betrayed and/or angry about all this Toronto talk, and he expresses it.

4) Bottom line, there are threads about Mike Schopp here and on TBD. That means he is doing his job, bottom line. PEOPLE CARE about him and WGR, even if he generates negative feelings. People like Dennis Williams can disappear and nobody notices because he was so boring and had ZERO radio presence. Schopp is EXACTLY what you want in media: CONTROVERSY and INTEREST.

If they love you, then you hit something truly rare. If they hate you, you are doing a great job. But if they don't care, you are unemployed.

What he said. The Dennis Williams example is spot on. It's what you guys seem to want - a nice guy, basically just X & O sports talk. And, not very entertaining on the radio, in my opinion............He was good as a sports anchor on TV, but you need more of an edge on the radio.

Schopp is EXACTLY what you want in media: CONTROVERSY and INTEREST.

You must be a ESPN/BDDSP addict then.

John Murphy, Howard Simon and Chris Parker all did very well at WBEN for many years without resorting to stunts to keep listeners from nodding off. Empire didn't go there much either.

Besides, TSW is the place for CONTROVERSY and INTEREST...

What he said. The Dennis Williams example is spot on. It's what you guys seem to want - a nice guy, basically just X & O sports talk. And, not very entertaining on the radio, in my opinion............He was good as a sports anchor on TV, but you need more of an edge on the radio.

The thread started out with a Bills fan/Schopp fan getting real upset at Schopps' attitude about having to talk about the Bills.

All the non-Schoppers here have stated is that they don't like the guy and some valid reasons why which of course are ignored by Schopps' fans.

We accept that.

We haven't said you must stop listening to S & B.

What I disagree with is Schopp fans telling us Schopps style works.

Not for us it doesn't.

And you're not going to convince us we need to accept it.

Don't assume we want Dennis Williams either.

Now his Channel 4 replacement John Murphy did well on the radio obviously.

That kinda guy I'd listen to.

The best Buffalo radio ever was Monday Night Quarterback with Murph and Larry Felser.........But, I have to admit I didn't listen much to Murph except for Monday night's after Bills games.

The best Buffalo radio ever was Monday Night Quarterback with Murph and Larry Felser.........But, I have to admit I didn't listen much to Murph except for Monday night's after Bills games.

You're right, that was the best IMO.

I'm glad you brought that up, I forgot they were on together.

ans,

I agree. I wouldn't say I am a huge Schopp "fan" but I have heard him do some good shows.

Unfortunately, he loves baseball and tennis. If Buffalo had a MLB team he would be in heaven.

I also think he is just angry at the idea of the Bills leaving town, so he is separating himself ahead of time. Just my opinion.

ans,

I agree. I wouldn't say I am a huge Schopp "fan" but I have heard him do some good shows.

Unfortunately, he loves baseball and tennis. If Buffalo had a MLB team he would be in heaven.

I also think he is just angry at the idea of the Bills leaving town, so he is separating himself ahead of time. Just my opinion.

I don't think it has to do with the Bills possibly moving, He's done the "I'm not a fan" thing before Toronto, it dates back to the Donahoe stuff (as previously mentioned 20 pages ago).

There are plenty of sports talk call in shows that get very good ratings without the host being rude and condescending to the listeners/callers.

like the Jim Rome show....lol.....he never cuts off a caller or makes fun of them afterwards.......how come i laugh when he does it and i get irritated when schopp does it ?

Because Rome cuts off some idiot trying to sound cool and get 'racked' while not saying anything about anything, and Mike cuts off people talking about the Bills that you may share a point with. I still like him though.

I would think Schopp would be considered controversial with his take on listening to hockey player's interviews. I could not agree with him more - they bore the crap out of me, but I hope he doesn't get fired for being so honest. The problem is that his station carries them, and I bet they aren't happy with his caffeinated take here.......I also could not stop laughing with them about the Mike Golic pot roast thing........That always struck me as so weird and funny, too:

http://audio.wgr550.com/m/audio/22269328/5...tm?pageid=28473