Chriopractor

Dear Dr. TBD,

I made a mistake and used some bad posture for an extended period on a laptop. Ever since, I have had a stiff neck and pain shooting down my arm. I went to MD and he gave me pain meds that didn't work and his next step was for me to go for an MRI to deterimine if I have a pinched nerve. For a few reasons, I don't want to get an MRI, but I need some relief.

I'm looking for feedback good or bad about going to a DC. Thanks...Jim

Dear Dr. TBD,

I made a mistake and used some bad posture for an extended period on a laptop. Ever since, I have had a stiff neck and pain shooting down my arm. I went to MD and he gave me pain meds that didn't work and his next step was for me to go for an MRI to deterimine if I have a pinched nerve. For a few reasons, I don't want to get an MRI, but I need some relief.

try it and see if it helps....-you will know soon enough--it helped me

try to avoid the big offices where they try and rope u into going a zillion times

Dear Dr. TBD,

Ahh for the good old days when men used to hurt their back lifting engine blocks or shoveling coal. Now a laptop can do it. :thumbsup:

Dear Dr. TBD,

I made a mistake and used some bad posture for an extended period, while masturbating, on a laptop. Ever since, I have had a stiff neck and pain shooting down my arm. I went to MD and he gave me pain meds that didn't work and his next step was for me to go for an MRI to deterimine if I have a pinched nerve. For a few reasons, I don't want to get an MRI, but I need some relief.

When you tell the truth, it makes more sense. :thumbsup:

GF's best friend is a chiropractor & she goes regularly.

I've made 2 impromptu stops there.

1st time, I had bruised ribs - very painful. I went there the day after I did it (I dove & landed funny playing vball) & the improvement was REMARKABLE. Upon walking out of her office, I could do everything "normal" w/ minimal discomfort whereas prior my movement was greatly restricted & I was unable to breath deeply. Over the next few hrs, the improvement regressed somewhat. Whether or not, it sped up the healing process, I can't say. I would doubt it.

2nd time, I'd say it was of little to no benefit. I've developed like tendonitus (sp?) in my (non-dominant) elbow. It was particularly bad the day we went there, but it, again, it really didn't do much.

Depending on your ailment, I'm of the opinion that it may well be quite beneficial.

Given your aversion to more "mainstream" methods, I'd recommend that you give it a try.

Dear Dr. TBD,

Like most things in life, there are good and bad Chiropractors, and there are things chiropractic is good for, and those it is not. Make sure to find some references before choosing one.

But, my strongest recommendation is to try a DO (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine). DO's are "real doctors" who, in addition to being able to do what most MDs can do, also have training in adjustments, as a Chiropractor does. A DO can make sure your condition will benefit from manipulation, or if it is best treated by other methods. DOs more training, and more tools at their disposal than DCs.

With that said, my initial recommendation remains. Get references in a good DO...ask around of people you know and trust.

Like most things in life, there are good and bad Chiropractors, and there are things chiropractic is good for, and those it is not. Make sure to find some references before choosing one.

But, my strongest recommendation is to try a DO (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine). DO's are "real doctors" who, in addition to being able to do what most MDs can do, also have training in adjustments, as a Chiropractor does. A DO can make sure your condition will benefit from manipulation, or if it is best treated by other methods. DOs more training, and more tools at their disposal than DCs.

With that said, my initial recommendation remains. Get references in a good DO...ask around of people you know and trust.

very untrue statement. Very few DOs have good training in adjustments anymore. Most DO schools are para MED schools now and most DOs do everything that an MD does including surgery and birthin babies etc.This has greatly diminished their former expertise at spinal adjusting. You don't want someone who 'also' has training in adjustments.

very untrue statement. Very few DOs have good training in adjustments anymore. Most DO schools are para MED schools now and most DOs do everything that an MD does including surgery and birthin babies etc.This has greatly diminished their former expertise at spinal adjusting. You don't want someone who 'also' has training in adjustments.

I have never met a DO that wasn't trained in spinal manipulation. I can't say if some no longer get that training...where did you get that info? Some DOs don't advertise the fact that they know manipulation, as they don't really specialize in that, in their practice. But, they know how to do it...but that goes to the recommendation of "get references" from trusted sources.

Obviously, if you are thinking of going to a Chiropractor, you would want to fine a DO that does a lot of manipulations as part of his/her practice. If you have a more serious medical problem, they are in the best position to diagnose it and prescribe suitable treatment. I'd look for a DO that isn't quick to go to medication or surgery. While many Chiropractors receive some medical training, they are very limited in treatment options. If the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to look at most problems as if they are nails...if you get my drift.

I would avoid "straight Chiropractors" at all costs...and this has nothing to do with their sexual preference. So-called "straight Chiropractors" believe just about any ailment can be cured by Chiropractic.

I have never met a DO that wasn't trained in spinal manipulation. I can't say if some no longer get that training...where did you get that info? Some DOs don't advertise the fact that they know manipulation, as they don't really specialize in that, in their practice. But, they know how to do it...but that goes to the recommendation of "get references" from trusted sources.

Obviously, if you are thinking of going to a Chiropractor, you would want to fine a DO that does a lot of manipulations as part of his/her practice. If you have a more serious medical problem, they are in the best position to diagnose it and prescribe suitable treatment. I'd look for a DO that isn't quick to go to medication or surgery. While many Chiropractors receive some medical training, they are very limited in treatment options. If the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to look at most problems as if they are nails...if you get my drift.

I would avoid "straight Chiropractors" at all costs...and this has nothing to do with their sexual preference. So-called "straight Chiropractors" believe just about any ailment can be cured by Chiropractic.

Chiros are very well trained. I know a few of them.These guys are trained to diagnose when there is a more serious medical problem present. And when adjustments aren't the answer they have very good relationships with appropriate MDs and other health pros with which to make recommendations. DOs who do mainly adjustments in their practices are very rare indeed nowadays. If you can find one more power to you.

Of course there are kooks and fools in all professions--including DCs DOs and MDs.

And I didn't say that DOs weren't trained in manipulation. I Said that they aren't trained as extensively as chiros are because most DO schools are MED schools now. They have other things they train for such as doing surgery and delivering babies etc.

Of course there are kooks and fools in all professions--including DCs DOs and MDs.

Don't I know that. :thumbsup:

But, you are right, there are very good Chiropractors out there.

With that said, I have never counted the DO's well-rounded medical training as a negative....but I get your point.

I feel the same was as Dean does....while I wouldn't choose anything surgical over trying a chiro first, I wouldn't make the chiro the initial visit. Can you talk about why you don't want the MRI done? If you are dead-set on not having the film, I'd get a referral to PT and see if conservative therapy can help.

I like Dean's suggestion of a D.O., and I'll also suggest you look into a special doc called a Physiatrist. My back guy is one of those, and he has always taken very good care of me. My lumbar spine is a mess and has been for over twelve years. The first guy I ever saw back in 1996 told me I needed surgery. I have a 10% disability rating because of the condition of my lower back, too, but I've been able to avoid anything surgical since that time.

I live near one of the more known chiro schools in the country, and I can confirm that when Dean says, "So-called "straight Chiropractors" believe just about any ailment can be cured by Chiropractic", he's exactly correct. Several of my friends have attended and graduated from this University, and they come out of their really believing that any sort of ailment (including infections, cardiac issues, etc, etc, etc) can be effectively treated with chiropractic care.

I think it's great we have so many health care options, but I'd be very careful in choosing which ones you seek.

I feel the same was as Dean does....while I wouldn't choose anything surgical over trying a chiro first, I wouldn't make the chiro the initial visit. Can you talk about why you don't want the MRI done? If you are dead-set on not having the film, I'd get a referral to PT and see if conservative therapy can help.

I like Dean's suggestion of a D.O., and I'll also suggest you look into a special doc called a Physiatrist. My back guy is one of those, and he has always taken very good care of me. My lumbar spine is a mess and has been for over twelve years. The first guy I ever saw back in 1996 told me I needed surgery. I have a 10% disability rating because of the condition of my lower back, too, but I've been able to avoid anything surgical since that time.

I live near one of the more known chiro schools in the country, and I can confirm that when Dean says, "So-called "straight Chiropractors" believe just about any ailment can be cured by Chiropractic", he's exactly correct. Several of my friends have attended and graduated from this University, and they come out of their really believing that any sort of ailment (including infections, cardiac issues, etc, etc, etc) can be effectively treated with chiropractic care.

I think it's great we have so many health care options, but I'd be very careful in choosing which ones you seek.

Only his hairdresser knows for sure. :thumbsup:

The main reason for not wanting an MRI is strictly a financial thing. I've just applied for COBRA and the MRI folks say I would have to front the $3k or so until my insurance is again valid and I don't want to do it and I don't want to wait for relief. Its been over 3 weeks of misery now...

I go to one abotu every 2 weeks for maintenace. get my back and neck adjusted each time, also get the muscle stimulation b4 hand. For me it provides immediate relief usually lasting a couple days, and is also extremely relaxing. the neck popping and mid back seem to have the best results when adjusted in my opinion. Go for it, it will only cost you 20$ or so.

In addition, anything back or neck related, hanging can work magic. If you have anything you can hang from either at the gym or at your home, try hanging for 60 seconds/day. (2x's 30 sec ea) It stretches your back out and lets things slip back into place thta were previously compressed. The neck area could be tricky with this. I occasionally get super stiff necks after weight training and the chiro usually does the trick.

Dear Dr. TBD,

For a long time, I beleived in chiropractors - and still do not discount their skills,

But - I had a shoulder injury and after 4 visits to 2 differnet practioners that did nothing - I threw a coin in the air and tried accupuncture - 2 visits - and I was "cured" after 6 months of pain - and the needles don't even hurt. They have their science - have to get a 4 year degree and are as profesional as the others.

I go back now every few weeks (work paid after deductible) and thoroughly reccomend it -

Try it - with an open mind :rolleyes:

I go to one abotu every 2 weeks for maintenace. get my back and neck adjusted each time, also get the muscle stimulation b4 hand. For me it provides immediate relief usually lasting a couple days, and is also extremely relaxing. the neck popping and mid back seem to have the best results when adjusted in my opinion. Go for it, it will only cost you 20$ or so.

In addition, anything back or neck related, hanging can work magic. If you have anything you can hang from either at the gym or at your home, try hanging for 60 seconds/day. (2x's 30 sec ea) It stretches your back out and lets things slip back into place thta were previously compressed. The neck area could be tricky with this. I occasionally get super stiff necks after weight training and the chiro usually does the trick.

Worked for me. No complaints. Good luck.

Saddam Hussein.

Dear Dr. TBD,

I have had back issues for about 20 years, and regular trips to my DC really help my sedentary job, long commute, bad posture, etc.

my chiropractor has saved my life. besides the pinched nerves and bad injuries from rugby, just curing the normal wear and tear.

as already stated, dont get duped into having to go every week. a good DC should be able to straighten you out in 1-3 visits (tops!). for business reasons, a lot of slimeballs have taken to only fixing people 80% of the way so the pain comes back in a week or 2 and they have to keep coming back.

my father was in a bad car accident back in the late-80s and after years of searching, we finally found a DC in Buffalo that fixes you in 1 (sometimes 2) adjustments.

my chiropractor has saved my life. besides the pinched nerves and bad injuries from rugby, just curing the normal wear and tear.

as already stated, dont get duped into having to go every week. a good DC should be able to straighten you out in 1-3 visits (tops!). for business reasons, a lot of slimeballs have taken to only fixing people 80% of the way so the pain comes back in a week or 2 and they have to keep coming back.

my father was in a bad car accident back in the late-80s and after years of searching, we finally found a DC in Buffalo that fixes you in 1 (sometimes 2) adjustments.

I worked with a guy who had a bad back (as I do) and who was always pimping his chiropractor. He told me, he's been going to him, twice a week, for the past three years.

"That ain't the kind of Chiropractor I'm looking for" I told him.