Bills Daily gives Bills C- grade...

Big Turk

AJ, as critical as I have been of Dockery, he was not the worst pass blocker. I hated his lack of effort, and was surprised by his lack of push on the run at his size. Levitre played OT. I think he will be a fine pass blocker and better than Dockery on running plays once he gets a little experience.

Wood imo is the mauler that you crave. From the little I have seen of him, he is a freaking beast. It is gonna be fun watching him crush people. :thumbsup:

Wood looks like he would kick someone's butt in a dark alley and then after the guy is on the ground begging for mercy, kick him in the gut a few times for good measure---just a mean, nasty player who enjoys taking guys out---he said as much...

Guess all the pretty boys on the O-line better take notice...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

B- or C+ from me..because of those 2 final picks...would've preferred to get another TE...Gronkowski...and a big developmental DT

We got players that have a much greater chance of contributing on special teams with those late DB picks than any DT or TE drafted in the same spot could be expected to have. Not to say 6th and 7th rounders don't turn into good ball players, but the chances are highly unlikely. The Bills played the odds here and drafted players in those rounds thinking those players would be able to contribute much more than some low rated DT or TE prospect. Also, it is important to remember that if you want to have the best special teams unit in the NFL you probably have to approach how you field that unit a little differently. I think by taking those DBs late in the draft the minimize the risk on those players as much as possible while maintaining their standard of special teams excellence. You also have to consider that the Bills may be looking for trade leverage with a specific team who may have needs at CB...hard to criticize an excellent draft based on that imo.

Bills potentially get 5 starters in the first 5 picks including what NFP said was the steal of the draft in Shawn Nelson, and we get a C-?

Wow...when this draft becomes the core of some very good Bills teams a few years down the line, hopefully he remembers that grade...

Who cares what "Bills Daily" thinks?

Every time I read the reports on these guys one of the first things that comes out is vocal leadership. Especially with Wood - it describes him as someone that on Louisville would get in other linemen's faces and when he talks, they listen. Levitre same thing. Arrington for all of his faults in his career is mentoring (with Poz) Maybin, who has been mentioned as a guy on defense who told the staff this would be his year.

Even the DBs are guys who hit, compete and want to play football, not be the sexy cover corner. Byrd has kicked butt in the PAC-10, Harris has been playing linebacker at Safety at OU for years, Harris (USC) has played against Sanchez and company, has competition from the faster freshmen and still started for 4 years. Langster at the worst is a special teamer and wants to make this team.

I especially like Levitre and Wood though - those two are just plain nasty. Levitre as Bill said may be more of a technician, but Wood...he's going to jack some guys up.

lol, I think I just can't bear to be pessimistic this time of year. I love this team, and the only way I can continue to offset the disappointment of the regular season performance is to allow myself to drink the kool-aid and feel hopeful during the offseason. :thumbsup:

Point well taken, I'll shut up and let the bliss reign supreme, until the September bloodbath (oops!!)

Bills potentially get 5 starters in the first 5 picks including what NFP said was the steal of the draft in Shawn Nelson, and we get a C-?

Wow...when this draft becomes the core of some very good Bills teams a few years down the line, hopefully he remembers that grade...

Just three years ago, the Bills draft (Marv's first) was viewed as solid, if not spectacular. The Bills stocked up on defensive players who were sure to be the nucleus of the defense for the next 10 years. Now, three years later, there are valid concerns about Whitner at safety, the Bills are apparently already looking to eject Ko Simpson, Ashton Youboty seemed a late bloomer, but can't stay healthy enough to stay on the field...oh yeah, and the other #1 draft pick has already been traded, but couldn't pass a physical...

I think we have to wait to get too giddy, or too down about these drafts. If two of the first four guys taken in this draft end up being contributers three years down the road, then we can argue about what grade the draft should get. If we have to grade it today, without any context, I think a C is fair. Not bad, not good, just a draft. Eight picks, and the Bills didn't address two of their biggest needs (tackle and linebackser). We do have a deart of DB's now, so obviously, not all are going to make the squad. I suspect there will be some more free agent signings...so, it is all still a work in progress, the draft is only part of it.

Just three years ago, the Bills draft (Marv's first) was viewed as solid, if not spectacular. The Bills stocked up on defensive players who were sure to be the nucleus of the defense for the next 10 years. Now, three years later, there are valid concerns about Whitner at safety, the Bills are apparently already looking to eject Ko Simpson, Ashton Youboty seemed a late bloomer, but can't stay healthy enough to stay on the field...oh yeah, and the other #1 draft pick has already been traded, but couldn't pass a physical...

I think we have to wait to get too giddy, or too down about these drafts. If two of the first four guys taken in this draft end up being contributers three years down the road, then we can argue about what grade the draft should get. If we have to grade it today, without any context, I think a C is fair. Not bad, not good, just a draft. Eight picks, and the Bills didn't address two of their biggest needs (tackle and linebackser). We do have a deart of DB's now, so obviously, not all are going to make the squad. I suspect there will be some more free agent signings...so, it is all still a work in progress, the draft is only part of it.

That's all true and a good post, but we reevaluate players all the time, from day to day, week to week, month to month, year to year, every year, and throughout his entire career with the team. We're changing grades for these guys all the time. Does it make the grade you gave for that player a month or year before obsolete? Not really. He's playing different now. He could have sucked then and is good now, or vice versa.

Plus, there isn't a good time to reevaluate drafts down the line anyway. People often use three years as a gauge, but by then, chances are half the guys aren't on the team, a quarter of the guys are way better than drafted and a quarter of the guys way worse. There is always a guy who was thought to be great who stinks and a guy who was a flyer who was surprisingly good. But if you looked at those players after two years, after four years and after six years, you may have three different grades on them, too.

Your core point is true. We have no idea whether this is a good draft or not until these guys play. But we have no idea how this entire 2009 version of the Bills is going to be and we have all kinds of strong opinions and predictions and high hopes or doom and gloom on them, which are forever fluid.