• F

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave it a 'B'

We got two starting linemen and an immediate upgrade over Ko Simpson and/or Reggie Corner. Unfortuately we got Erik Flowers in the first round so I hope the other three work out.

I'm not sure whether you're trying to frustrate people by being a d!ck or just that ignorant. What's the point of the Erik Flowers comment other than to just piss people off?

I'm not sure whether you're trying to frustrate people by being a d!ck or just that ignorant. What's the point of the Erik Flowers comment other than to just piss people off?

I guess it's being 'ignorant'to have stated over and over my opinion that this guy is horrible (well before the draft) I thought we could state our opinions on a board, or do we just drink the Kool-Aid for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in .... ages

B

Four picks in the first two round is great. I'm loving that. We've added some guys who should come in to camp and seriously compete for starting jobs.

Maybin is a bit of a question mark. He's got loads of potential and upside, so here's hoping he hits it. He's a speedy edge rusher who was a sack artist last year. He's quite young with room to grow and improve so I think he'll be fine once he adds bulk to his frame and polish to his game.

Wood seemed like a bit of a reach to me but I still like the pick. He's a nasty Center and figures to start for us right away. This is a good pick because it addresses a need with a good player. Not to mention I'm a big on building your team in the trenches.

Byrd was a bad pick to me. The reports that he projects to Safety makes it sting less, but I just felt we had more pressing needs. My gut tells me the Bills wanted Britton but he got picked three spots before us so the Bills opted for this guy.

Levitre was considered by many to be the top rated Guard, so I love that pick. It fills another need and is another O-Line pick, so I'm a big fan. He's another nasty player who should also start right away. Trading up for this guy was worth it. This was a good pick.

The Byrd pick was the only blemish on an otherwise great start to the draft. There are some exciting new prospects coming to Buffalo and I can't wait to see them on the field. Good draft so far. :huh:

I gave it a B

Love the two lineman picks......way overdue to address the O-line high in the draft instead of waiting for the second day

If at the end of the year Byrd starts at safety and if Maybin is productive it could be a franchise saving day for OBD

At least I am hoping

Maybin could be another Penn State bust but let's give him a chance to shine. Assuming he makes weight for his position without losing speed, he could be fierce.

The decision to build the o-line was nothing short of brilliant, although I'm sure many analysts will look at the picks as reaches. We shored up a long time weakness.

The SS/CB pick mystifies me, but, as has been mentioned on this board, we do turnover a ton of em'.

I'm giving it like this

Aaron Maybin (B) - Good pick because he can play both OLB and DE. Might not be a full time starter at each but I think he'll play both during the course of this upcoming season. Also he adds much needed depth to our DL.

Eric Wood (B+, A-) - This could turn out to be the best pick of our draft. This kid could be the next Jason Peters on our team without the attitude situation. He's a very smart player with exceptionally good technique. He might need some work in the weight room but I think once he's fully polished he's going to be a super stud.

Jairus Byrd (D+) - This pick caught I think most of us by surprise. I just don't understand this pick because we are already stacked at CB. He's not a great corner and yet he's not a bad corner. People have him going to FS or SS instead of CB so it will be interesting to see if they might trade Simpson to make room and give him a chance to compete. This is a really big head stratcher to me.

Andy Levitre (B) - Good pick to sure up the OL. He's a rated by most scouts to be the best pure guard in the draft. This is a surprising yet very solid pick by the Bills.

Overall not bad. We've filled out most of our holes but we did have a questionable pick with Byrd. I wish we tried to move up to get Pettigrew though but I think they will get a TE in the 3rd round. We'll see how day 2 goes tomorrow.

Updated overall grade (B)

we dont have a third round pick

I'm amazed of how many people on this board gave an optimistic rating.

It is out of character!

Most people like the Maybin pick and it fills the most immediate need, but aside from that I think most people are very happy with picks 2-4; especially since the Bills have struggled to find solid value in rounds 2 and 3 in recent years. I love the interior line picks and if he ends up as starting safety, Byrd would be a good pick too.

There's definitely reason to be optimistic.

Who knows? Nobody has hit the field yet. I like the two OL picks after the years of neglect by not using early picks there. I'm still waiting for prospects that might hold promise of improving run defense and abate the slow bleed by teams running the clock on us. It's been a chronic problem the past several seasons IMO. Bend-don't-break zone coverage invites that.

I know nothing about Maybin by actually watching him play, but from what I've read, he doesn't get high marks for run defense, stringing out plays and sealing the sideline. They say he has good lateral range, so perhaps the coaches will help him with that. Nice if he can bring some outside pass pressure, but if that makes the opposition just run it up the gut more...well.

I read up on Byrd. I came across "works best in zone coverage" things. In the 2nd, I want a man coverage DB - the way the NFL offenses work today, you see 3 wr sets with some regularity, and also 4. The term is "flooding the zone", IIRC.

Tomorrow, I would like to see a DT and a LB with some size and some attitude.

I give'em a "C" - same as I give every team until draftees actually make a club and start playing.

I give'em a "C" - same as I give every team until draftees actually make a club and start playing.

Grade inflation! They get an F until they prove something. If they prove to be average, they get a C.

:thumbsup:

Grade inflation! They get an F until they prove something. If they prove to be average, they get a C.

:thumbsup:

Exactly.

Otherwise, it's just a bunch of pap and hype and self-serving gratification. Modern Man in his element.

Care to offer any comment on my posits?

:rolleyes:

B

I like the addition of strength in the middle. While it might not have been exactly what I expected I think we are really building to at least give ourselves a chance for something special in a year or two. So long as they're comfortable with Maybin and Byrd and have a plan on how to use them I'm fine with this draft....a little disappointed we lost our 4th but so it goes.

Maybin: Wasn't too happy here but I've kind of warmed up to it. Don't really know how likely it is that he'll be used in a versatile/disguised manner potentially off the line, but I'd like him and Mitchell roaming back there with our two DE's getting after it and Stroud giving push...we may have a few nice blitz's on 3rd...or not. C

Wood: Not sure why we took him but I have to say I love the depth and the commitment to the middle. From everything I've read he seems to be a potential anchor for a while. I like this pick. A

Byrd: Weird. Obviously the ONLY way it makes sense is if he can play safety....no real way to tell now but he can pick the ball off and play tough so we'll see. Not the best of picks. C

Levitre: I don't quite understand how the middle of the line will shake out but that's because we have more guys that (in my mine) should/could be starting than spots. That is great thing to be saying about the middle of the line and regardless of how this next year turns out I really think it'll work out well for us in the long term. B+

Let's see:

1. Drafted a pass rusher - which is something this team sucks at. Doesn't matter if he can't play every down. If he can help on 3rd downs, he'll be worth it.

2. Drafted a starting OLineman. An interior one at that. I was so amazed I almost passed out.

3. Drafted what is likely to be one of the starting safeties on opening day.

That's not a bad first day haul, really. We'll know for sure in a couple of seasons.

I agree with your assessment. This organization knows what they need to compete in their division, and in the nfl. They knew where they needed the most improvement, and studied up on the prospects, and if they passed on guys like E.Brown, and some linebackers, then I'll assume they've got a pretty good plan in place for this season. Looks like on day 1 they filled three big holes. I'd like to see them trade up into the third for another potential starter....or strike out on a couple sleepers.

I read up on Byrd. I came across "works best in zone coverage" things. In the 2nd, I want a man coverage DB - the way the NFL offenses work today, you see 3 wr sets with some regularity, and also 4. The term is "flooding the zone", IIRC.

Whichhhh sounds a whole helluva lot better if he's playing free safety, which has already been somewhat confirmed.

maybin B has a lot of potential but needs to live up to it (potential for boom or bust with little in between)

Wood A+ i love having a nasty angry G/C

Byrd F he might be a decent player and have a fine career but i dont like him here for the bills. i would MUCH rather the bills gone for LB/T/TE or even everette brown here

A guy at the draft party I was at said his Dad coached Byrd. He said he's a good kid but didn't think he's good enough to be taken so high.

I also looked at a Sporting News draft guide after that pick & he was the 10th rated CB. One negative on him was that he didn't have the speed to stay with receivers on deep routes. Doesn't sound like someone who can play well at free safety.