No to Pettigrew

You're right, of course, but there are 3 to 5 others who will be available in rounds 2 and 3 who can ran and snag 'em. I've been a big Pettigrew fan but maybe we should wait till the 2nd round and draft one of those 4.5 something guys who'll run routes that a LB won't have a chance to cover.

Yeah, and who we will have to take out of the offensive set every time we want to run the ball because they don't block for $hhitt?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what was rumored after the trade. It's just another thing that irritated many.

That rumor had nothing to do with the 21st pick. It was reported that Philly offered the 29th and a third and the Bills instead asked for the 28th and a fourth this year and a 6th next. The 21st pick wasn't involved, though.

My big question is will Pettigrew fill the Bills' need? In that if he's not the fully complete blocking/receiving TE who can stretch the field, is it worth it investing No. 11 at that spot? Would he be a vast improvement over Royal, who was a very good blocker, but useless in the flat? Or asked another way, do we want to use up No. 11 to get the next Daniel Graham?

I wouldn't be shocked if he goes before 11. From what I've seen of him at OK State, he's really good - one of the better players I've seen at the position in some time (at least in college). As for the speed, you think Antonio Gates runs better than a 4.75 40???

When the Peters trade was announced I rememeber reading it in several threads as well as in a couple of articles. I was stunned that the FO thought the extra pick next year was more valuable than the better draft position this year. Just like most rumors it's never been confirmed, so you can't really know for certain.

"The Eagles have two first-round draft picks and would surrender the second, or 28th overall, in the deal for Peters. Initially, one source close to the Eagles said, Buffalo considered making the trade for a first- and third-rounder this year but, in the end, held out for three draft picks to give the Bills more flexibility." Clark Judge

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11642184/rss

Notice there is no mention of the 21st pick at all.

Buffalo Rumblings reports the same thing, with a quote from Judge. Again, no mention of the 21st.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2009/4/17/...-bills-trade-of

Methinks some people just misread this story. But if there's more out there, I'd love to see it. Anybody?

I am going to be sick to my stomach if we bring in pettigrew as our numer one pick.. Yes we need a TE.. but seriously you can get a decent TE in the 4th round.. This team would be really stupid not to get everett brown or a OT with the first pick.. We need to fill our core positions and TE is not a need we need to adress first.

Yeah, that's a great point, because Derek Fine (4th round), Derek Schouman (7th round), and Tim Euhus (4th round) are stud TEs :thumbsup:

derek fine played one game and caught a TD... he is alright we just didnt give him a shot

Just look at the top dogs in the AFC...

Patriots - Ben Watson (first round)

Steelers - Heath Miller (first round)

Ravens - Todd Heap (first round)

Colts - Dallas Clark (first round)

Titans - Bo Scaife (franchise tagged)

Chargers - Antonio Gates (major difference maker)

And then you look at the perrenial bottom dwellers... Buffalo, Cincinnati, Oakland. The last first round pick taken amongst these three is probably Ricky Dudley by Oakland.

I'm not saying taking a first round TE automatically makes you better, but the teams that actually matter in the NFL seem to think it's a good way of building a team.

Dallas Clark, Tony Gonzalez, Jeremy Shockey, Heath Miller, Ben Watson, Vernon Davis, Kellen Winslow Jr., just to name a few more recent.

Shockey, Winslow, Davis were probably not worth it. Certainly TG is without debate; Miller has been very good; ditto for Wwatson but Clark may be product of a system. Not sure if they are all #1's but I know there are several TE's (Jets come to mind) that have busted with this approach of drafting a TE with a high draft pick.

Shockey, Winslow, Davis were probably not worth it. Certainly TG is without debate; Miller has been very good; ditto for Wwatson but Clark may be product of a system. Not sure if they are all #1's but I know there are several TE's (Jets come to mind) that have busted with this approach of drafting a TE with a high draft pick.

Remember when the Jets traded a 1st rounder to Oakland for Doug Jolley a few years ago?? :thumbsup:B-)

Gates was an undrafted free agent (I Think) ... this only supports my contention that we are wasting picks at TE position in first 2 rounds.

I disagree CH. If a players is excels, he is worth a first round pick. I'll bet that almost every team in football wishes that they used a first round pick on Gates.

Lots of first round TEs work out pretty well.

I disagree CH. If a players is excels, he is worth a first round pick. I'll bet that almost every team in football wishes that they used a first round pick on Gates.

Not when the team is littered with holes on both lines. TE is a luxury pick. Guys like Anthony Fasano and Martellus Bennett were drafted in the second round... 4th round might be a bit too late, but a guy like Jared Cook can be had in the second round easily.

This team is operating with an aging defensive line and a patchwork O-Line. If good linemen are available the Bills should simply close their eyes and pick them in Round 1.

Not when the team is littered with holes on both lines. TE is a luxury pick. Guys like Anthony Fasano and Martellus Bennett were drafted in the second round... 4th round might be a bit too late, but a guy like Jared Cook can be had in the second round easily.

This team is operating with an aging defensive line and a patchwork O-Line. If good linemen are available the Bills should simply close their eyes and pick them in Round 1.

And I'm sure that you know I agree with you. However, a TE would beat some other alternatives.

Just look at the top dogs in the AFC...

Patriots - Ben Watson (first round)

Steelers - Heath Miller (first round)

Ravens - Todd Heap (first round)

Colts - Dallas Clark (first round)

Titans - Bo Scaife (franchise tagged)

Chargers - Antonio Gates (major difference maker)

And then you look at the perrenial bottom dwellers... Buffalo, Cincinnati, Oakland. The last first round pick taken amongst these three is probably Ricky Dudley by Oakland.

I'm not saying taking a first round TE automatically makes you better, but the teams that actually matter in the NFL seem to think it's a good way of building a team.

They can all run block, they can all chip and release, they can all stretch a seam. None are burners in terms of 40 time in shorts but all have good football speed. I include Pettigrew in that category. If he's there, take him. That simple.

GO BILLS!!!

They can all run block, they can all chip and release, they can all stretch a seam. None are burners in terms of 40 time in shorts but all have good football speed. I include Pettigrew in that category. If he's there, take him. That simple.

GO BILLS!!!

I completely agree. I think people assume you take a guy like Cook, Nelson or Ingram in the second round, plug him in at TE and go. But that is a fantasy. These guys are all playing in spread offenses and have become glorified receivers. You need a true tight end. Pettigrew would be a versatile addition to the Bills.

I am sure there are plenty but as for Gates let's keep him out of discussion because everyone whiffed ... which is why the draft is a crap shoot (and probably so much fun).

Anyway, the core question is do you spend an 11 on Pettigrew knowing who else may be on the board for a team with multiple needs ... fill in the blank (OT's, OLB's in particular). In the end, I say NO to BP & go on to 2-3 pick and see what happens (Cook, Coffman?)

I am sure there are plenty but as for Gates let's keep him out of discussion because everyone whiffed ... which is why the draft is a crap shoot (and probably so much fun).

Anyway, the core question is do you spend an 11 on Pettigrew knowing who else may be on the board for a team with multiple needs ... fill in the blank (OT's, OLB's in particular). In the end, I say NO to BP & go on to 2-3 pick and see what happens (Cook, Coffman?)

Your scenario would be great. I am only saying that if they take Pettigrew, it could be worse.

Anyway, the core question is do you spend an 11 on Pettigrew knowing who else may be on the board for a team with multiple needs ... fill in the blank (OT's, OLB's in particular).

I say yes. All other TE's you name don't block. That's like drafting a third WR. A guy that gets 10 plays a game. A guy like Pettigrew plays every down. He blocks well. He catches well. None of the other TE's in this draft (or many in the league) can say that. I have no faith in teh Tackles that will be availalbe when we draft, you can get the same production out of the 28 spot. Same with DE, I'd take someone if I trusted there talent, but there are too many questions. Pettigrew is a rare find. You don't let them pass. 11 may be higher than ideal, but it's a risk I'd take.

Guest dog14787

I like Coffman allot, the guys probably got the best hands in the draft, but he's never blocked before, Pettigrew's got it all and is clearly the best option we have to upgrade the TE position.

I'd argue that if in the team's eyes a player is way better than the best alternative pick on the lines, you go with the better player. Ozzie Newsome drafts for talent, not for need. It just so happens that a lot of line talent has been available when he drafted. That said, he didn't draft any of the players on their defensive line - Burnett, McRary, Adams, and Siragusa - in their super bowl year.

I'd argue that if in the team's eyes a player is way better than the best alternative pick on the lines, you go with the better player. Ozzie Newsome drafts for talent, not for need. It just so happens that a lot of line talent has been available when he drafted. That said, he didn't draft any of the players on their defensive line - Burnett, McRary, Adams, and Siragusa - in their super bowl year.

Agreed on that. I just think that the Bills should manipulate their position so that they maximize value and address the lines.

If Pettigrew happens to be the best player available and they can move 5 spots down, acquire an extra pick and pick up a defensive lineman and playmaker, it might tilt the scales in their favor. Given that the Bills have the lowest number of "trade-downs" in the NFL, I doubt it will happen, but ya never know :thumbsup: