Playing rookies

BillsVet

Amid all the hoopla surrounding the draft, I think it's important to recall how Buffalo has used rookies the last few years.

In 06, with the Bills in full-on rebuild mode, both Whitner and Simpson played major minutes when Milloy was released, Bowen(!) was hurt, and Vincent was hurt and subsequently released. Their inexperience was minimized by playing them far off the ball. McCargo was hurt, while Youboty didn't get on the field until late in the season. Butler didn't play, though Kyle Williams and Ellison did when injuries struck.

In 07, Lynch and Posluszny were counted on to be Day 1 starters. Edwards got PT when Losman was hurt at NE. Dwayne Wright, John Wendling, and Schouman played sparingly. Lynch and Posluszny had to start in 07, given the departure of McGahee, Fletcher, and Spikes.

In 08, only McKelvin saw decent time as a starter, although not when he could have been used most in Miami. Only Corner and Fine (when healthy) received time. Of course Bowen was injured in camp. EDIT: Hardy caught 2 TDs, although Steve Johnson surpassed him on the depth chart late in the year.

My point being remains that rookies are generally used in emergency cases, or when the depth is so minimal that there are no other options. We're discussing draft day and which guys can come in, but truth be told I suspect DJ will eschew using rookie players. The decision to keep a healthy McKelvin on the bench in favor of an injured McGee against Ted Ginn of all people is representative of this.

Of course, the wild card here is DJ knows he must win in 09. He'll gamble on a player, but not because he wants to. How this shakes out will be interesting to watch. I would hope the front office goes BPA at a position of need and isn't settling on filling needs or taking guys with less upside who can play now. That's the wrong formula, IMHO.

Jauron seems to use an "incumbent" system. Once established as the incumbent, you're a made man. Even players that clearly suck will be given 2nd and 3rd chances.

Best example there was using Slow-Train Thomas at Jacksonville in 07 when Jackson was on the bench. I'd expect the HC to know what he's got in a player. AT played hard, but he lacked any burst and struggled. The McKelvin non-play still irks me, but I've come to expect that from DJ.

But for all the hype of draft day, rookies don't normally make an impact their first year. Perhaps excepting RB's.

Best example there was using Slow-Train Thomas at Jacksonville in 07 when Jackson was on the bench. I'd expect the HC to know what he's got in a player. AT played hard, but he lacked any burst and struggled. The McKelvin non-play still irks me, but I've come to expect that from DJ.

But for all the hype of draft day, rookies don't normally make an impact their first year. Perhaps excepting RB's.

In today's NFL, it is fair to expect high pick rookies to play a role and make an impact for a team. I certainly wouldn't expect any rookie to play lights out, but there's no reason not to expect them to contribute. Take DE for instance. If we took a DE, there's no reason to think that a rookie couldn't duplicate the horrendous play of chris kelsay. The onyl difference is that kelsay has hit his ceiling while a rookie would have the chance at being better. Just because they may make mistakes is no reason not to play rooks.

Of course, even if we do draft a DE, dickie j will probably put him on the bench and let worthless piles of crap like kelsay keep[ getting snaps instead of developing the rooks. Instead of taking 1 step so you can take 2 forward with a rookie, jauron would rather not risk it, and stay in the 7-9 safe zone.

Yep. Marv used to say "the best rookies are the ones you drafted last year." Jauron seems to be of the same cloth in that regard.

It should be mentioned though that most teams do not have more than one impact rookie per draft year. It happens but it's more the exception than the rule.

Finally, I agree that McKelvin should have played a lot more last year, and earlier. He gave up three catches against San Diego, two for touchdowns. However all three catches were against 6'5" receivers (Malcolm Floyd and Vincent Jackson) who fully extended their bodies to catch perfectly thrown balls inches beyond McKelvin's reach. I thought McKelvin played well in the San Diego game and deserved to start against Miami. Instead the Bills went to McGee, coming back from injury and wearing a knee brace. McGee subsequently had his worst game as a pro, getting torched by Ted Ginn who had his best (and only good) day as a pro.

Definitely a bad coaching decision IMO.

Yep. Marv used to say "the best rookies are the ones you drafted last year." Jauron seems to be of the same cloth in that regard.

It should be mentioned though that most teams do not have more than one impact rookie per draft year. It happens but it's more the exception than the rule.

Finally, I agree that McKelvin should have played a lot more last year, and earlier. He gave up three catches against San Diego, two for touchdowns. However all three catches were against 6'5" receivers (Malcolm Floyd and Vincent Jackson) who fully extended their bodies to catch perfectly thrown balls inches beyond McKelvin's reach. I thought McKelvin played well in the San Diego game and deserved to start against Miami. Instead the Bills went to McGee, coming back from injury and wearing a knee brace. McGee subsequently had his worst game as a pro, getting torched by Ted Ginn who had his best (and only good) day as a pro.

Definitely a bad coaching decision IMO.

He didn't have to. Greer and McGee were doing a good job. If a team doesn't have to push a rookie they shouldn't. JMO

I think you are giving Dick too much credit. I don't think there is any real "philosophy"or consistent approach, and I'm not even sure he is making the decisions. I guess in the broadest sense he is "conservative", but I don't think it's really a philosophy, it's just playing it safe.

I think last years draft was really to fill back their ST holes and the Bills did really draft in players to challenge the incumbents on those spots. McKelvin is a talent and an exception and he found his way into the CB starting role.

If the Bills draft at OT, OG, DE, and TE early in the draft, I don't see how these kids won't be starting for the team come September.