Do the Bills Take Need over Draft Board?

CJPearl2

Sad to say, but yet again, that's all we have going for us now, William. Hope. If he works out well, if Schobel is healthy and can pressure the QB, if McKelvin can handle being the top return guy as well as a starting corner....just a few of the many "ifs" this team will face for the 2009 season.

That about says it all my friend.

A few scattered observations:

Of course the Bills would like to trade down from #11 if they can find an agreeable partner, because they have more needs than they can fill with the picks they have.

Assuming they can't trade down,

Looking at it strictly from a business perspective, generally speaking the player's salary is "slotted" based on where he is selected. For example, there's a good chance #11 is going to get less than #10 but more than #12. So every time you "reach for need" you're by definition overpaying for someone.

Also looking at it strictly from a business perspective, you're going to be paying that #11 as much or more than many of your starters. It doesn't make much sense to pay somebody that kind of money unless he's going to be on the field making plays for you right away. Ideally he'll be a starter on opening day, but at the very least contributing in some way. (the only exception I can think of is developing a young QB) Taking Jenkins doesn't make much sense; you would have problems just figuring out how to get him on the field, and you would be drafting at a position you don't really have a need.

I hear what you are saying. I am a big believer in getting the lines in place and then drafting a qb. If Trent is the right guy for the job, all the better. I really hope that the kid can do it.

:thumbsup: I am with you. If he has a GOOD Team around him & can stay healthy, I think the Bills can win with Trent..............................EVEN with Dick as Coach. :beer:

If the Bills picked Jenkins at #11, I'd venture to guess that it would be greeted by at least 95% opposition here, maybe even a perfect 100% consensus.

I love to see the front office homers defend that one. But I think DJ has lost power on draft day. Taking a CB this season would be almost as bad as Matt Millen's tendency to take WR's. Except no DJ DB was as bad as Charles Rogers.

There are plenty of needs, so you go with best available player that fits your needs... shouldn't be a problem. The one thing you do NOT do is take a player who fills a need in the current BS D-scheme but who will not be able to perform in a more traditional D-scheme after Fewell & Jauron are dumped post-season.

We can only hope DJ is gone after this season, but go 8-8 and he'll be back. Ralph makes the call on coaches, yet Buffalo still needs a major overhaul after 4 off-seasons of rebuilding.

I don't understand how a team can't rebuild after 3 off-seasons and 48 games. We weren't like Miami 07 or ATL 07 when this latest round of rebuilds took place.

They need to go DE with pick 1.

I love to see the front office homers defend that one. But I think DJ has lost power on draft day. Taking a CB this season would be almost as bad as Matt Millen's tendency to take WR's. Except no DJ DB was as bad as Charles Rogers.

We can only hope DJ is gone after this season, but go 8-8 and he'll be back. Ralph makes the call on coaches, yet Buffalo still needs a major overhaul after 4 off-seasons of rebuilding.

I don't understand how a team can't rebuild after 3 off-seasons and 48 games. We weren't like Miami 07 or ATL 07 when this latest round of rebuilds took place.

They need to go DE with pick 1.

As far as Atlanta goes, they were not a player away from contention. They were divison champs in '04, then went to 8-8 the next year, then dropped a game to Jauron the following year. They had some pieces in place. Then, they added not only a good young QB in Ryan, but also the 3rd leading pass rusher in John Abraham (16.5 sacks) and the 2nd leading rusher in Michael Turner (1,699 yds and 17 TDs on the ground). I don't see the Bills as having nearly as many other pieces in place as the Falcons did prior to last season.

I guess it depends on who you're talking about. Under no circumstance can I justify taking Stafford or Sanchez, unless you've already worked a trade in the background. I really don't think either will be spectacular in the near future.

If Curry, Jason Smith or Monroe fall to us, it's a glaring need and they'll be the best available = no brainer.

The big question comes with what happens if we have our choice between someone like BJ Raji or Crabtree vs. Orakpo. Personally I think if the choice is Raji or Orakpo, I take Orakpo because he's just as highly rated and fits a bigger need.

Crabtree appears to an elite WR, and barring his injurry he could have been the concensus #1. I have a hard time passing up the best talent in the draft and would want to take him, even though we don't have a desperate need at WR right now. I know that this hasn't worked for Detroit, but Crabtree doesn't appear to come with all of the baggage that Charles Rogers or Mike Williams. I wouldn't mind 3-4 seasons with Evans and a (Calvin Johnson or Roy Williams type) after TO leaves.

I love to see the front office homers defend that one. But I think DJ has lost power on draft day.

Any evidence of this? I would assume they use the same approach they have the past few years. Brandon may feel like he can say more than he has in the past, but I doubt Ralph is letting him make the calls by himself. I don't think Dick J made the selections in past drafts, nor do I expect he will, by himself, make them this year.

While I think Jenkins is one of the best players available in the draft, it would be very stupid for the Bills to take him, if the players I expect to be available at #11 are there. I feel the same about Crabtree.