Who Do You Think Are Some Of The Most Underrated Guitar Players.

Steely Dan

I might have agreed with you, if I had never seen him live...but the guy can play. I don't know how familiar you are with NY's records, but a lot of people, who know his stuff casually (ie: the classic rock radio hits) might think of him as lightweight, but listen to things like "Cowgirl In the Sand", or "Cortez" and you will know what I mean.

He isn't a wanker like a lot of guys lister here, but he gets everything he can out of his fingers and his guitar...he fights with the guitar...kind of like Charlie Parker fought his horn...

saw him live a long time ago and i agree he can play!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I 'll add a few names...

Nils Lofgren from the E Street Band (i have one of his solo albums and he can play!)

ZZ Top's guitarists are pretty good too... saw them live back in the early 90ies... that rocked!

I think one of you had Gary Moore in his list , great choice!

ZZ Top's guitarists are pretty good too... saw them live back in the early 90ies... that rocked!

For the first few albums ZZ Top was really a force. Tres Honbres was incredible, IMO. Of course, their quality decreased as they became popular...pretty much standard for most bands/artists.

If you like the multi-lead guitar, southern based sound, I highly recommend the first three Outlaws albums (Outlaws, Lady in Waiting and Hurry Sundown).

For the first few albums ZZ Top was really a force. Tres Honbres was incredible, IMO. Of course, their quality decreased as they became popular...pretty much standard for most bands/artists.

If you like the multi-lead guitar, southern based sound, I highly recommend the first three Outlaws albums (Outlaws, Lady in Waiting and Hurry Sundown).

thanks for the tip, i'll check that band!

thanks for the tip, i'll check that band!

Their vocal harmonies are top-notch, too. But like ZZ-Top (and many others) their quality declined after those first few albums. One of the original members of the Outlaws, Henry Paul, produced one terrific album, Grey Ghost, that sounded much like the good Outlaws stuff.

Their vocal harmonies are top-notch, too. But like ZZ-Top (and many others) their quality declined after those first few albums. One of the original members of the Outlaws, Henry Paul, produced one terrific album, Grey Ghost, that sounded much like the good Outlaws stuff.

Another really great one, Steve Bruton, passed away..... RIP Steve! Another blues stringer called home.... :lol:

http://www.theboot.com/2009/05/12/country-...ton-dies-at-60/

Another really great one, Steve Burton, passed away..... RIP Steve! Another blues stringer called home.... :lol:

http://www.theboot.com/2009/05/12/country-...ton-dies-at-60/

I'll have to check him out.

Another good guitarist is the guy who plays lead guitar with John Hiatt. Dunno his name.

I trust someone has mentioned Ry Cooder...right?

Blind Willie Johnson

Fred McDowell

Terrific...but not rock and roll, as the thread indicates. Hell, we could start naming underrated jazz and classical guitarists that would blow most (but not all) of the rock guys away.

Neil Young?? great guitarist?? his songs are 2 chords of strumming...I mean he is proficient..but come on..

I was listening to "Powderfinger" and "The Loner". The guy can play some $#!+ :lol:

BTW, he is the grandfather of grunge.

Neil Young?? great guitarist?? his songs are 2 chords of strumming...I mean he is proficient..but come on..

I really like Neil Young, but the only way you can underrate him as a guitarist is if you believe he can't hold the guitar.

I really like Neil Young, but the only way you can underrate him as a guitarist is if you believe he can't hold the guitar.

Like I said in an earlier post, if people who only hear his folksy stuff, they might not think he is anything special, but the guy rocks!

Neil Young?!? He can't play, and he can't sing ... all he can do is make great music!

Legend has it that Jimi Hendrix once said Billy Gibbons was his favorite gutarist (a band Gibbons was in once opened for Hendrix).

ZZ Top was absolutely my favorite band when I was young - they are the definition of a great rock band turned to a crappy cliche. Most of their popularity came when they had already sold out. If you want to hear real raw blues/rock listen to 'ZZ Top's First Album' - I bet half the people who know the band from their 'popular' era wouldn't even recognize it as the band. The irony is the liner notes from the first album go on about how the band is about pure, guitar-based gimmick-free rock and roll - and they are now most famous for crappy synth-infused songs and long beards :wallbash: