Hysterical Statement from Eagles

Posted on PFT

The Philadelphia Eagles have addressed reports that cornerback Sheldon Brown wants out of town.

And here’s the team’s statement.

“It’s very unfortunate and counterproductive that Sheldon has chosen to go public with his feelings about his situation. After thorough evaluation by himself and discussions with his family and agents, he chose to accept an extension of his rookie contract early that provided his family financial security for the rest of his life. It removed any concerns about health or performance that all other players in his draft class had to worry about. He has four years remaining on that contract and, after taking the signing bonus and his first two years of salary into account, we feel that Sheldon is being paid fairly. Focusing only on a player’s salary for a given year is not a valid analysis.

“There have been league MVP’s, Super Bowl champion quarterbacks, and perennial Pro Bowlers who have been in a similar situation. All of their teams have required them to wait until their contract expired or there was only one year remaining before any adjustment took place. It is only in the most extraordinary, in fact, less than a handful of circumstances in the last ten years that any players two new years into a contract with three years left have been adjusted. We don’t think this qualifies as an extraordinary circumstance.

“Sheldon’s comments under the circumstances actually serve to devalue him in a trade if we were willing to consider it; which we are not.”

The same statement could be used as to Shawn Andrews, Mike Patterson, and any other Eagles player who signed a long-term deal that, after a few years, suddenly didn’t look quite as good in the ultimate bastion of “Who’s Got The Biggest, Um, Money Clip?” — an NFL locker room.

But the Sheldon Brown situation confirms our long-held belief that the Eagles shouldn’t have signed good young players to ultra-long-term deals prematurely. It all looks good on paper, but holding a guy to the terms of a deal with base salaries that eventually pale in comparison to younger and, in the mind of the Sheldon Browns of the world, lesser players creates a bad atmosphere.

And it could work to keep the Eagles from getting that long-coveted Super Bowl title, in our view

Look at the Eagles offensive line. Do you think they give a sh-- about a whiny defensive back? Their comments indicate they clearly don't, and they don't need to. And what's with the double standard? You guys pissed and moaned about Jason Peters not fulfilling his contract, but its ok for other players to do the same thing? Get real.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/200...les_say_no.html

As for diminishing his trade value by speaking out, Brown said the Eagles just traded for Buffalo tackle Jason Peters, who held out last summer, with 3 years left on a contract.

"They just traded for a guy who diminished his trade value last year," Brown said.

He also noted that the Eagles were willing to redo Brian Westbrook's contract last year.

Brown said he thought the Eagles' statement was designed to draw attention "away from what the real deal is."

Brown said he based his thinking that a trade would be possible on the fact that the Eagles traded disgruntled corner Lito Sheppard to the Jets.

"If you traded your Pro Bowl player for a fifth-round pick, well, I'm pretty sure I can go out and get you that right now," he said.

Look at the Eagles offensive line. Do you think they give a sh-- about a whiny defensive back? Their comments indicate they clearly don't, and they don't need to. And what's with the double standard? You guys pissed and moaned about Jason Peters not fulfilling his contract, but its ok for other players to do the same thing? Get real.

Man, you miss the point totally, it is ok to be whiny and complain, I think everyoe would shrug that off,

but when you miss all mandatory team functions, show up out of shape, on the eve of the first regular season game no less, and proceed to get your QB almost mudered, not to mention the un-timely penalties, many many critical false starts and holding calls, and then threaten to do the same thing the following season. That is hard to shrug off.

On top of all that, you pretty much go on public that you were laying down last year, and that the contract situation effected you. Some reports said that he would hold out maybe until the tenth game this year, you don't see that to

often. If Peters has a good season this year, the board will be flowing with posts about, see I told you we f'ed up,

but the real picture will emerge on this guy over the next couple of years, when he decides that it is time to lay down again,

who knows, we might just find out, which I have suspected all along, that he is way overrated.

The Eagles were praised for locking up their young players to long-term contracts. Now these same players are complaining. These players and their agents can't have it both ways. It is getting old listening to this crap. It is obvious they only care about money and the game doesn't matter anymore. Glad I am older and had my fun in the '90's.

Man, you miss the point totally, it is ok to be whiny and complain, I think everyoe would shrug that off,

but when you miss all mandatory team functions, show up out of shape, on the eve of the first regular season game no less, and proceed to get your QB almost mudered, not to mention the un-timely penalties, many many critical false starts and holding calls, and then threaten to do the same thing the following season. That is hard to shrug off.

On top of all that, you pretty much go on public that you were laying down last year, and that the contract situation effected you. Some reports said that he would hold out maybe until the tenth game this year, you don't see that to

often. If Peters has a good season this year, the board will be flowing with posts about, see I told you we f'ed up,

but the real picture will emerge on this guy over the next couple of years, when he decides that it is time to lay down again,

who knows, we might just find out, which I have suspected all along, that he is way overrated.

:angry:

I wish Jason Peters no ill will with regard to illnesses or any internal problems that could potentially limit his lifespan. I do however, hope he is the victim of a vicious illegal chop block and breaks one or both of his legs.

They host DEN on Dec. 27th. That could do it. :angry:

I'd like to point out that Peters never once whined through the media or mouthed off about his contract.

In fact, the Bills' organization's biggest beef with Peters was that he did the exact opposite...he didn't talk.

So no, it's not the same situation.